Changes to spirits coming

Dragana.1497

In Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons, only warrior and ranger lack the ability to fill those essential boon support roles.

Since banners and spirits are unique effects, warrior and ranger break from the simple system of shared boons and conditions that allows professions to share common roles. While this creates certain unique group roles like the banner warrior, it also strongly limits play.

Warrior players have been telling us for years that they’d like to be something other than a banner warrior in groups! We agree, and we’re going to rework banners and spirits to fit our shared boon system and open new options for warrior and ranger players. Both professions will have access to new boon support roles using revamped banners, spirits, and related traits.

Unfortunately, due to time constraints and work on new elite specializations, we were unable to make these changes for the Guild Wars 2: End of Dragons launch, and we’re planning to make them part of a larger profession update and balance patch coming this summer. Until then, banners and spirits will remain as they are and continue to have a 10-target cap.

Source: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-end-of-dragons-strike-missions-balance-and-rewards/

I’m wondering if the changes they are thinking will open up quickness and/or alacrity builds for Warrior and Ranger? I think once EoD drops those are the only 2 classes that won’t have access to those builds.

There’s already existing traits for each that are the “spirits/banner buffs are improved” so it would be fitting if those were changed to just give those buffs based on certain spirits/banners, or make those buffs be applied longer.

Wondering if there will still be some type of secondary affects for spirits, or it’s just “hit button for boon”.

3 hours ago, Donut.6914 said:

please...make them mobile...

They once were. So too were banners while the Warrior held them...

I sincerely hope that there are FB and Scourge nerfs inbound and that Warrior and Ranger will pick up the slack.

Warrior would be great for AoE quickness, might, fury, and stability. Ranger would be great for AoE alacrity, protection, resolution and resistance.

These reworks need to be mobile, and to be active usage.

• Like 4

When you see this kind of annoucement you should assume the worst not be excited.

They will probably only make banner and spirit give boons every 3s instead of giving their unique buffs. Which will make ranger and warrior less interesting to pick in raids all while keeping the cumbersome gameplay. I can already imagine it:

Warrior: Banner of discipline grant fury 2s every 3s, banner of strength grant might 6s every 3s, banner of tactic grant regeneration 2s every 3s, banner of defense grant protection 1s every 3s. Trait: banner base boon duration is increased by 50%.

Ranger: Take nature's vengeance boons, nerf their duration and make them tic every 3s for each spirit to replace the unique buff.

And voilà! Both ranger and warrior provide boons instead of unique buff. They are no longer pigeonholed into giving those unique buffs since they don't have any and the boons are already overflowing in the game.

NB: People complain that there are to many necromancer in game to counter boons? Do not worry! The devs have the solution! If the counter to boons is stacked everywhere, it's logic to increase the number of boon sources to counter the counter! (what a joke!)

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, BadSanta.6527 said:

Actully im worried , not a single word about druid was mentiond

Druid use spirit uniqe vuff in order to stay relvant.

I think if they going to take spirir uniqe buff as implay ( to be like outher proffesions buff system) it may be druid last nail in the coffine

If they take spirit buffs and turn them into actually useful boons it won't do anything to druid.

It won't make it worse but probably won't help either.

• Haha 1

It does sound intriguing. 

Maybe there are more reworks / mechanical changes like they did to some profession. Druid staff 4 staying like revenant Jalis road with resistance, traits less oriented on the druid only, less restrictions (20s + losing all CA on downstate), ranged glyphs with some new effects (small barrier / thorm armor)?

Staying on topic, if it means additional support options for core ranger that can be carried over soulbeast or untanmed, maybe some changes to Nature magic, this will be great.

Edited by aymnad.9023

9 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Yes, make both spirits and banenrs mobile. Give a new way to all specs in warr and ranger to be able and fight with bigger , or well, any groups. Ranger imo needs this more than ever now with perhaps the Untamed capabilities if it gets some improvement.

Best comment imo in this thread up to now. 

6 hours ago, Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

They once were. So too were banners while the Warrior held them...

Yes.  And Spirits used to pulse boons. Anything close to what I suggested in the thread below would be great. Mobile and ranged AoE for the "release of the spirit" (casting the active) so Ranged gets some support and ranged AoE back. 

I hope this mobility is baseline, it made sense years ago to have the mobile trait but in today's balance it wouldn't feel good. 

Banners would be nice if instead carrying them as a kit they would temporary replace your backpiece  so they don't interfere with your skills. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

I’d like to see spirit become mobile again as well. I’d also like to see them become invulnerable spirits that once summoned they stay summoned till you change maps. While summoned they passively pulse boons/buffs to allies, conditions/debuffs onto enemies and can be channeled for greater effects which then puts spirit the on cooldown. 

The trait could allow the spirit to continue passively pulsing while the active effect is on cooldown and provide a cooldown reduction on the active effect.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Point is and I think both Rangers and Warriors need to say it over and over 

THE UNIQUE BUFFS FROM BANNERS AND SPIRITS MUST NOT BE REMOVED FOR THE SAKE OF BOONS. DON'T SACRIFICE THESE SKILLS FOR THE SAKE OF A 'REWORK'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For real this terrifies me a lot..

Exactly, unique buffs is what make banner and spirit relevant, remove that and they are just your everyday skills that provide boons that every other professions can already provide easily. No matter how you look at it, trading unique buffs for boons is a loss on both the short and long term.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

Ya know, if Druids might becomes 5man and spirits are removed/changed to boons or whatever, it will remove druids from any game mode. It will be the final blow to the spec. They need to keep their unique effects and be made mobile. It will only be bad for the game if all the classes are the same, that sounds really boring too. 
Knowing Anet as of late, what on Earth are they doing? 

1. Its confirmed that warrior and ranger will both get either quickness or alacrity. They can either add it as a trait (grant 5s quickness on banner use) or give it to 1 banner.

I predict they will make banners persist for 5s very much like catalysts new mechanic, however, they will do additional effects in an area when first placed such as dazing foes for 2s or doing damage.

For spirits i predict the same thing but the extra effect occurs on the last pulse.

1 hour ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

1. Its confirmed that warrior and ranger will both get either quickness or alacrity. They can either add it as a trait (grant 5s quickness on banner use) or give it to 1 banner.

I predict they will make banners persist for 5s very much like catalysts new mechanic, however, they will do additional effects in an area when first placed such as dazing foes for 2s or doing damage.

For spirits i predict the same thing but the extra effect occurs on the last pulse.

Something along the lines. Might as well make them Wells or Consecrations. Which, of course, means no mobility. 

However, I think it's likely that they'll lose their unique effects since they talk about creating different class set ups in 5 people compositions. That won't ever be a thing if those unique buffs remain. 

16 minutes ago, Xaylin.1860 said:

Something along the lines. Might as well make them Wells or Consecrations. Which, of course, means no mobility. 

However, I think it's likely that they'll lose their unique effects since they talk about creating different class set ups in 5 people compositions. That won't ever be a thing if those unique buffs remain. 

I'm crossing my fingers that they make them into "Spirit Weapon" skills, whixh has been suggested by @InsaneQR.7412 in the past before, providing more useful and practical active effects with multiple charges. 

Edited by Za Shaloc.3908

14 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Point is and I think both Rangers and Warriors need to say it over and over 

THE UNIQUE BUFFS FROM BANNERS AND SPIRITS MUST NOT BE REMOVED FOR THE SAKE OF BOONS. DON'T SACRIFICE THESE SKILLS FOR THE SAKE OF A 'REWORK'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For real this terrifies me a lot..

Spirits used to be decent,  this variant we have now is not 

hope nothing of what it is now is kept.

and they need to be mobile as ranger is a highly moblie play style