What does "GG" mean in the context of Guild Wars 2

I know GG as meaning "Good Game" from my old days of Unreal Tournament online deathmatch games. But what does it mean in the Guild Wars 2 community?

The list of abbreviations in the GW2 Wiki does not mention it. Yet it is used often.

It seems still to be used as "Good Game" in nice PvP matches.

It also seems to be used in bad PvP matches, but I don't know what they mean then.

And there is a /gg command to commit sudoku in some game types.

It confuses me a bit.

• Haha 4
  • Confused 2

/gg is a command to die. So when you are in a squad or strike and they say “just  gg” or “should we gg it?” They refer to this command.

in spvp it means good game. GG is normally positive sportsman behavior. When the match is about to finish…say gg because it’s polite.

gg can be used in a toxic way but it is heavily dependent on context… for example when you beat someone in a duel very quickly…or if you outnumbered somebody in an unfair 3v1 and you say “gg” or “gg ez” then it’s the toxic form. 

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

In addition to "good game", /gg is a suicide command in pve instances used to reset the fight or skip to next checkpoint.

The difference is in UT you basically typed gg after every match showing respect to other players. Here the game is more sandbox so there are can be different context entirely dependant on player using it.

Edited by Cuks.8241

I think the death command was added later and uses /gg because by that point it had become a general short-hand for "this attempt is finished, let's start over" even if you hadn't actually finished and just thought it was going nowhere.

9 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

Minor correction, because this amused me. Sudoku is a number puzzle popular in newspapers. Japanese ritural suicide is called seppuku.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

In PvE instanced content:

1. Midfight: someone wants you to type /gg
  2. End of a successful fight: good game
  3. Midfight or after a wipe few seconds before leaving: git gud

In PvP:

1. Good game, if the one typing it is a PvE player that happens to be playing PvP casually
  2. If coming from people who mainly play PvP, 9 times out of 10sudoku youself

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

In PvE it means to wipe the entire group so you can start again, attached to the physical command /gg.

In PvP it either means thanks for the good game (if its a close game), or if you're destroyed by your opponent its their way of showing your respect for showing up and trying despite the negative outcome. It seems strange to thank someone for losing but remember, without opponents we wouldn't even have a game so we still owe them.

Some players take it too far and use it in a toxic way without realising that newer players quitting a result of such toxicity is one of the major reasons the population has dwindled so much. Without both a winning and losing side, you have no game at all, so treat your enemies with respect and you'll find that we're all winners at the end of the day (and they'll get better, sometimes even better than you).

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 2/13/2022 at 12:03 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

Even in a “bad” match gg may be someone showing good sportsmanship.

That is correct.

20 minutes ago, Noah Salazar.5430 said:

in pvp it mostly mean git gut

To which one should reply, "GB" (Get better!). :classic_tongue:

On 2/13/2022 at 12:03 AM, JusticeRetroHunter.7684 said:

/gg is a command to die. So when you are in a squad or strike and they say “just  gg” or “should we gg it?” They refer to this command.

Yes, but /gg does indeed mean "/good game" here as well, as in: "Oh well, we did our best, let's give it another try and do better this time!" 😄

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/12/2022 at 11:57 PM, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I know GG as meaning "Good Game" from my old days of Unreal Tournament online deathmatch games. But what does it mean in the Guild Wars 2 community?

The list of abbreviations in the GW2 Wiki does not mention it. Yet it is used often.

It seems still to be used as "Good Game" in nice PvP matches.

It also seems to be used in bad PvP matches, but I don't know what they mean then.

It confuses me a bit.

it means my rotation is not perfect so i am going to gg and annoy my raid members - a guy i know does this. 

If you’re in a raid or fractal or a dungeon and your team screws something up then one might mean self ghost   But if you’re out in the world doing nothing that has to be perfectly time people will say gg as in good game or good job. The context is the same all through the mmo world except arenanet though making gg a self ghost option still confuses me. 

For PvP, I generally will only say "gg" if it was a close or balanced match. (That is to say, the enemy team also managed to get at least 350+ points. Anything less than that means that the losing team never really stood a chance.) I do appreciate the sentiment from players saying "gg" despite a one-sided drubbing, but it could also just as easily be interpreted to mean a "gg ez" attitude since nuance is easily lost in written communication.