Cantha - The Undercity

Yes I agree, an undercity would be great!

I would also love to see Anet completely re-do the dungeon Ascalonian Catacombs! This dungeon is a classic part of the rich GW2 story and is due more respect. It was the first dungeon to be added to the game and after 10 years it is starting to show its age. Since it is an instance could Anet simply replace it with a modern version?  I feel this would give new life to these areas if they were brought up to modern standards of design and aesthetics. In my opinion there is nothing better than a classic ghost filled dungeon.

I think GW2 can continue to grow multiple ways. The game can add open world content, add fractals, strike missions or new raids to a growing list or I have often thought they could overhaul a dungeon at a time and make the explorable version true end game content.  

I have always envisioned Ascalonian Catacombs as a gigantic labyrinth of haunted catacombs. The explorable mode would require a team of explorers to work together to solve puzzles as the work deeper and deeper into the unknown crypts. A haunting soundtrack of ghostly whispers would accompany new sinister monsters and spirits at every turn. Areas you explore could contain riches to gather and mine just like a zone and be careful you just might encounter a new world boss among the crypts. There would be eerie areas where you had to swim past floating corpses or lock yourself in a damp coffin to reach unexplored depths in search of a lost subterranean cathedral.  (getting carried away….) These ideas could easily be incorporated into Cantha's undercity or crypts in the beautifully gothic Echovald.

Thoughts?

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

17 hours ago, Slartibartfast.5416 said:

I hope they have The Undercity in Cantha in some way.. whether it be a dungeon or something open world, I don't care.. as long as they have it!

If they don't, I'll be a bit disappointed.

Ditto. Keeping my fingers crossed! 🥰

13 hours ago, sdaugherty.1984 said:

[...] (getting carried away….) These ideas could easily be incorporated into Cantha's undercity or crypts in the beautifully gothic Echovald.

Thoughts?

Perhaps in the next Living World after EoD, since it's too late to implement anything in the current expansion that will release in two weeks. 😉

Also loved your suggestions for the Ascalonian Catacombs. Come on, ANet! 😀

13 hours ago, sdaugherty.1984 said:

Yes I agree, an undercity would be great! [...]

Your text has a color format (black) and is unreadable for those of us who use the dark forum theme.

Edit @ confused person: https://i.imgur.com/bdpwj4G.jpg :classic_rolleyes: It's clearly been written in a text editor, not on here, then copied and pasted into their post. When you type your posts directly in the thread's response window, the text remains "neutral" and gets automatically formatted in a legible color by the forum (using CSS) depending on whether you use the light or the dark theme.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

Would be amazing. Sadly I am worried they didn't retain much of original Kaineng City given the Kaineng stream the other week. Seems like a small bit of "ruins" and then the New Kaineng City in a new area from the playable area from Factions.

I don't know. Hope they retained something of the original city for content.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

They did a live stream with the Guild Wars 2 EOD Composer and one of the Chief sound designers yesterday. In it, they mentioned that Kaineng City consists of three levels - a top ruling class level, a middle trade/working class area and at the bottom the slums.

If you skip to 53m 30s into the live stream you will hear a clip of the soundtrack from the slum area, so its clearly a playable location.

You can reach the GW2 Twitch livestream recording from yesterday at

https://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Andy.5981 said:

They did a live stream with the Guild Wars 2 EOD Composer and one of the Chief sound designers yesterday. In it, they mentioned that Kaineng City consists of three levels - a top ruling class level, a middle trade/working class area and at the bottom the slums.

If you skip to 53m 30s into the live stream you will hear a clip of the soundtrack from the slum area, so its clearly a playable location.

You can reach the GW2 Twitch livestream recording from yesterday at

https://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

I saw it as well during yesterday stream. We've seen Tengu's district during Kaineng stream and I'm wondering whether it was either the lowest level in Kaineng (slums) or just a middle one?

If Tengu's district is inbetween then were slums even shown to us during livestream? Or is meant to be mistery to discover?

IIRC Cobble Ward, which is where the tengu community settled in New Kaineng City, was said to be in the lowest parts of the city - jade-tech is less prevalent here and most things run on steam-tech instead but overall the area doesn't feel too destitute. There are  quite a few members of the Jade Brotherhood causing issues all around, however.

The Heart Area revolves around Strigidae and her efforts of keeping this specific community clean and peaceful. Other parts of the lower levels might therefore look very different. The "Slums" track revealed during yesterday's stream sure gives off that impression both due to its name and its more distorted and sinister sound.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Andy.5981 said:

The Slums were shown, and they are not the Undercity (if any such underground area, which harbors the old Kaineng City ruins and/or the Sewers and/or any of the ancient locations from GW1, is even going to exist and be accessible in EoD).

• Like 1
  • Confused 4

6 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

The Slums were shown, and they are not the Undercity (if any such underground area, which harbors the old Kaineng City ruins and/or the Sewers and/or any of the ancient locations from GW1, is even going to exist and be accessible in EoD).

What they showed in the Kaineng stream does not match the description they gave of the Slums in the music stream. In fact, in the Kaineng stream they were cagey about where the sewage goes, while in the music stream they said the sewage ends up in the Slums.

I guess we'll see but it sounds like there is more to Kaineng than we've seen. 

• Like 2

I was disappointed in the city tour that the poverty level the Tengu live in appeared only marginally slum like. Compared to the stacked tenements of GW1 it felt like “kindler, gentler” social stratification.

Based on real world history, I’d expect Cantha’s industrial revolution to increase the gap between wealth and poverty, not narrow it. But perhaps the writers have trickle down economic beliefs.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Gibson.4036 said:

I was disappointed in the city tour that the poverty level the Tengu live in appeared only marginally slum like. Compared to the stacked tenements of GW1 it felt like “kindler, gentler” social stratification.

Based on real world history, I’d expect Cantha’s industrial revolution to increase the gap between wealth and poverty, not narrow it. But perhaps the writers have trickle down economic beliefs.

Anet is generally viewed as being left leaning (at least for a US-based company) so somehow I doubt they believe in trickle down economics. Besides, like I said above, the way they described the Slums in the music stream sounds a lot worse than what we saw in the Kaineng stream so my guess is we haven't seen the worst yet. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Diovid.9506 said:

Anet is generally viewed as being left leaning (at least for a US-based company) so somehow I doubt they believe in trickle down economics. Besides, like I said above, the way they described the Slums in the music stream sounds a lot worse than what we saw in the Kaineng stream so my guess is we haven't seen the worst yet. 

It’ll be interesting to see if they match up.

15 hours ago, Diovid.9506 said:

In fact, in the Kaineng stream they were cagey about where the sewage goes

Yes, that part I did catch, and my heart went, "YES!" 😁

But I don't recall the Slums being hinted to be located below the surface. They were part of the open world city, not the sewers or whatever dungeon might lurk below the city. 😉

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 1