More Info on Strike Missions, Balance, and Rewards in End of Dragons

Got to say I'm slightly disappointed that all the changes are pushed exclusively for the Hardcore content, rather than trying to balance both the hardcore and the casual play for this.

When you changed the Gift of Battle cost (from simple Badge of Honors to a Reward Track) a few years ago, it pushed us to yes be more involved with WvW (which is still broken now as I faced the same server for 5 weeks in a row despise having results that would tip us down one tier, several times), but this isn't really what some of us are wishing for as we just want to keep things casual and not having to burn out on the game or the progression towards our own goals for those changes.

I have several Tier 1 Precursors that I have been wanting to work on, just to end letting them sit in my bank because I just cannot be bothered doing 15x the Gift of Battle Reward Tracks as how the game is standing right now.

I also gave up on getting the Frostsaw (Ascended Greatsword, that is unique to Dragonstorm) because the droprate is so low, because the content is so repetitive; and that there is no alternative in getting it (not even tradeable, not even a recipe to craft the thing). I have more marks from those Dragon Response Missions than I even know what to do with them.

For the Strike Missions, I also abandoned playing them, because as a colorblind, I'm unable to complete some of them, that absolutely locks some rewards away (Boneskinner's Enhanced Weapons), due to the lack of accessibility options.

So you have a lot to work on, because those changes are not looking pretty, if I need to give a fair feedback. I would have been more excited if the last 2 years since IBS wasn't a complete catastrophe on the level of pleasure for me.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 2

Thank you for the clarification! But I think what I've heard CM fractal raiders say is that it feels like the reward for CMs are being nerfed with nothing to compensate. You just showed how there will be more mystic coins available for most players but not what other rewards might be added to fractal CMs to replace the loss of the mystic coins and to maintain the incentive in doing them daily.

I appreciate that you at least let us know there are exclusive rewards to strike CMs (legendary insights).  We did not know this previously. 

• Like 12
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Thanks for the clarification.

Although I have to ask, if the MCs from Fractals CM had little impact on the MC overall supply, why remove it from the rewards anyways? Fractals CMs are less profitable and harder to do than a Daily T4 and now it feels like some sort of punishment rather than a rebalance on rewards-

• Like 34
  • Thanks 10

1 minute ago, Wolfb.7025 said:

Although I have to ask, if the MCs from Fractals CM had little impact on the MC overall supply, why remove it from the rewards anyways? Fractals CMs are less profitable and harder to do than a Daily T4 and now it feels like some sort of punishment rather than a rebalance on rewards-

This! Absolutely this. 

We get punished. If the hard content of CM has so little impact why not slighty nerf the drop rate, and add extra coins to the EoD Strikes. There are more MC sinks, why not have more MCs available overall... 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

26 minutes ago, LSD.4673 said:

"93% of Mystic Coins come from login rewards"

Who'd have thunk'd it? Now, the real question is what percentage of those are actual players vs login scripts...

Probably around 95% are actual "main" player accounts. As much as "account farming" is popularized by some streamers and widely discussed on forums/reddit/discord, VAST majority of players have single account.

8 minutes ago, Wolfb.7025 said:

Thanks for the clarification.

You would need to have background information that were shared back back in the John Smith times. Mystic Coins as major part of daily login rewards were redesigned during montthly removal as a wealth redistribution tool. Basically, every player gets them, but not enough for their needs, so they need to buy them off other players, who may have no use for them but need gold. So, casual players get them, sell on TP to hardcore players crafting legendaries. Gold trickles down from experienced players farming endgame content to inexperienced ones whose main income are basic dailies or harvesting. Rewarding MCs for pinnacle content completely turns the whole idea around - suddenly the most experienced players have no need to buy MCs from TP.

Edited by ChaliElle.9137
2nd comment.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Well assuming I sell to tp is how much gold I lose, but how about if I didn't sell them and instead was utilizing it to craft my legendary stuff, so now (before anticipated supply increase in EoD) I will actually lose the (assuming) "buy-price" of mystic coins because "I will need to buy them" to supply my crafting processes and so I actually "lose more", anyhow it is what it is.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Renegade.3659 said:

Change daily log-in rewards to Clovers instead of Coins, so people with many alts can't abuse this by just sending everything to their main.

They should shut down the gemstore too so people can't swipe the credit card for gold! 

I'd rather not be punished because of the edge case tryhard who wants to drop hundreds of dollars and run login scripts (which also risks getting bans) just to make a legendary that a lot of times gets skinned over anyway.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9

The transparency and numbers breakdown is really good but I'm pretty much with the others here - if your numbers have determined that CM mystic coins were a tiny minority of those earned, why remove them?

This makes it look like they're being removed for a reason other than what you stated, which makes the messaging worse, not better. It's clear from the numbers you gave that this isn't really an economic decision. Lacking more info, this sounds like planned obsolescence of fractals. Not good.

Edited by Tulki.1458
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

58 minutes ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

The feeling of working hard for something and finding out it’s going to be easily accessible to others in the future can feel bad, and that feeling is real and valid. But you’ve made a ton of tangible progress in fractal Challenge Modes and other people having access to that in the future doesn’t take away from everything you’ve accomplished.

It's more about the feeling of working hard for less than that work used to be worth. I don't know about you, but at work, I'm not happy about a pay cut, but I am glad about my coworkers getting raises. Also reducing rewards definitely doesn't increase CM accessibility for anyone.

• Like 13

While your intent was to justify the decision, this has only made our question louder: If MCs from Fractal CMs re such a statistically minor impact on the overall economy, why remove them at all?

Or, is it possible ANet is removing rewards from popular endgame content in an attempt to drive us to the new expansion content? You're pitching it as a carrot but boy does it feel like a stick.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Thanks for the clarification, although I don't see why there is a need to remove this as it was stated that it has little impact on the economy. While in counterpart people are farming the daily reward using multiple accounts and nothing has changed there.

Edited by Kilty.4906
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

'Fractal CM rewards were crap before, so it's not a big nerf.'
Is that really your point?

By making established and appreciated content less attractive to the people that currently enjoy it, you do not necessarily push them to the new content you want to promote... you might drive them away altogether.

Maybe balance the rewards (encompassing, but not limited to Mystic Coins) a bit better between brainless and effortless things and challenging content that needs some actual player investment.

Edited by rivvyn.6257
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 4

Experienced old players, who have already earned Fractal God title and got all fractal unlockables, already get totally worthless Golden Fractal weapons or regular Fractal weapon skins they can't do anything with, and people with full Legendary Armory already throw away ascended armor chests they get in fractals because they don't cost even 1g. The overall drop table is already worse than could be if these things would automatically stop dropping for a player after they unlocked all the skins + Armory. And now the devs take away Mystic Coins from Fractal CMs as one of the decent options in drop table, despite stating themselves that Mystic Coins DON'T affect the economy too much. 
So if they don't drop as often anyway and aren't of much effect to a player's overall drops, why remove them? 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

Gotta second what some of the others have said. This isn't making it any better. Why remove rewards from CM fracs if they're so "insignificant"?

I don't like 10 man content. It's not fun for me. I've immensely disliked both strikes and raids. I like 5 man content, especially fractals, but it looks like that, once again, you're taking the nerfstick to the 5 man content, and for why?

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

I can understand the situation better, but the problem isn't the Mystic Coins themselves, the Mystic Coins just happen to be the item the problem revolves around. 

The real problem is the fact that there will be no real incentive to farm Fractal CM once the Mystic Coins are removed. It doesn't matter what the average probability of someone getting MC in a Fractal CM run is, what matters most is that MC is an incentive to farm CM Fractals which means that people played the content even if the RNG is stacked against them because it incentivised playing CM Fractals. 

All this is doing is pushing the incentive from CM Fractals to Strike Missions, that's not a justification, that's blatant disregard of the actual problemYou need to provide an alternative incentive to CM Fractals. Without any real incentive (Ima repeat that word cuz that's the key to this entire problem) to play CM Fractals, what's the point of having CM Fractals? People will just run regular Fractals because its rewards would be near identical to CM once the coins are removed. 

You can either provide something different to Strike Missions and keep the Mystic Coins in CM Fractals or actually provide a proper alternative incentive to Mystic Coins in CM Fractals because right now it sounds like no one at ANet actually wants to solve the problem and just wants to blurt out words to justify a flawed decision. 

Edited by ChronoPinoyX.7923
  • Like 15
  • Confused 4

I mean that may definitively kill the CM group for real i dont think that real good move from Anet. I think the best thing if they want to avoid overdrop from it is to remove that World Boss Anomaly. That will actualy give more impact than just remove drop from fractals CMs. My point on this why creating CM for fractal if you dont have real benefit from it. You guys did at least provide better reward from raid CM per week for that point. Cause nobody found any real reason to do raid cm after 1 CM done on their account. What is the point removing the best possible reward from fractals CM.

Now for the balance 10 man boons i can understand the move attempt but i will be smart just create ON EVERY CLASS many variety of unique advantange of you guys are for diversity how none of the new elite have. i mean druid provide spirits and spotter how give massive advantage like banner and empowered allies are also massive advantage. Problem now if they are down to 5 people will bring mirror class for 10 man content. Cause those unique buff are only apply from those class Alac,quickness,fury and might can be provided by many other class. Problem now with many elite spect dont have unique effect how are interesting like spotter, baner, empowered allies, assassin presence. Example mesmer dosent have any share unique effect. Necro vampiric aura is so weak nobody use it. Ele shared aura are nice but not lasting long enough. Gardian have a lot of boon up time but the trait strenght in numbers is useless just to name few of the useless shared trait.

Anet should revisit other mmo and see what unique special buff allies they can bring to make spect interesting to be inside the diversity bubble otherwise they will be stuck in the pathern people will grab best dps with 2 mirror buffer/healer in PVE environment.

Edited by Requiem.9648
Not done
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

I think this is a good goal for hardcore PvE longterm, specially getting people into strikes, then strikes CM, then crafting legendary and then Raids/Fractals CM.

However, if it isnt that impatful, maybe put it to 0-1 rng, instead of 0-3, so they dont lose THAT much.

• Like 2