Sigils with charge

I've been using sigils that have a charge of... power, etc for many years now.

In the beggining I used to just stick in jewel upgrades in there +20 odd power and whatever else.

Just yesterday I was going through some old posts, and came across one, in which many people were saying to never use sigils that have a charge.

Now, they didn't explain precisely why, but I think I know why.

... Especially in WvW where if your character dies, it resets the charge and although it only takes 5 enemy kills to be at max 25 charges again, it made me question myself if in fact they have a very considerable point there, and instead I should invest in sigils that apply conditions instead of charges ones; or revert to using jewel upgrades? 

So; I have a dilema...

Shall I replace all my characters charge sigils with other types or do you think that they do significantly boost stats and keep them?

What do you guys think?

Please feel free to comment as much as you want.

I like to read people's oppinions and experience on this.

Thanks.

Edited by SoulGuardian.6203
Auto correct doesn’t auto correct properly

Depends on the type of content you play. Sigil of Force with the 5% modifier is generally staple for squad and party-based PvE content. For solo content, it depends entirely upon your build - although, Sigil of Cleansing is very popular for expansion content thanks to its kiting and sustain implications.

After the global damage nerfs, to my understanding, stacking sigils lost much of their WvW ground. You're much more likely to see Sigil of Energy, Cleansing, Flame or Air, or another utility-based sigil. Although, Sigil of Vision has been one of the greatsword staples for ranger for the longest time, and there are other class and role based builds with less common sigils equipped. 

For TL;DR: if you do equip one, it better be on a character that's got some good escape tools.

• Thanks 2

They're good for solo open-world content, but they're not good for content in which there's not enough enemies to build up (like story), or if you're going downed alot. That's why in endgame instanced PvE players tend take %damage sigils only, because with for example Sigil of Bloodlust the player loses effectiveness on going down.

Whether they're useful for WvW depends on how good you are with your class or build. The longer you can survive without going down, the better attribute stacking sigils are compared to fixed effect sigils.

Their best application is in open-world play where they give a huge stat bonus for hours.

You shouldn't replace these sigils, rather you should have different equipment and builds for different content. Trying to make one build fit every type of content isn't going to work.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hashberry.4510 said:

Stacking sigils can still be useful on builds that do not use the second weapon set too often. Build the charges on that set and get the effect plus two active sigils on the main set.

What?

That's not how it works. You don't get 4 sigils for free. If you're not using the weapon with the stacking sigil, you don't get the stacking sigil bonus.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

What?

That's not how it works. You don't get 4 sigils for free. If you're not using the weapon with the stacking sigil, you don't get the stacking sigil bonus.

You don't need to actively play on the second set, you just need to swap to it right before the kill. And when your stacks are maxed out you can forget about swapping altogether. 

2 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

What?

wrong. a thief with bloodlustsigil on bow will also have the +250 power when on the d/p weaponset for example. I´ve been doing that FOR YEARS now! i would have noticed for sure 😄

I use stacking sigils in WvW. They are still 100% viable dont worry.

Edited by Sahne.6950

In order to determine if you want to use or should use stacking sigils, let's first clear up on how they work exactly (for those to lazy to read the wiki):

Gain up to 25 stacks of an effect that grants an attribute bonus per stack. On-kill sigils gain 5 stacks upon killing an enemy player in all areas of the game. You can only have one attribute stacking bonus at a time. The bonus is lost when you are downed, when you travel to a different zone, or when you unequip the weapon. Unequip includes switching to and from underwater weapons while not having the identical sigil in the weapon sets that you start using (this means player only need 2 same sigils to keep the stack; 1 sigil on any land weapon, the other on any underwater weapon).

- https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sigil

Simply put, stacking sigils benefit players when they can stack up the bonus sufficiently fast, are less prone to go down or map change and there are no significantly superior sigil options to chose from.

Knowing all that, here are some examples of where using stacking sigils is beneficial:

- WvW if one does not go downstate every few seconds, preferably on the less used weapon set

- as elementalist or engineer on the off weapon set. The inability for elementalists and engineers to weapon swap in combat makes it a good idea to have the gained weapon swap feature in order to have a stack off set. Given neither class can weapon swap in combat, and the benefit remains even if not on the set with the stacking sigil, those are 250 "free" stat points once stacked up

- longer metas or when staying longer on the same open world map

Here are examples of when stacking sigils are not advised:

- spvp, unless you are a god at not going down

- when switching maps often

- raids, strikes, fractals, etc. The nature and length of this content means that stacking sigil will either not stack up sufficiently or might get reset via certain mechanics (when using /gg to reset cooldowns for example)

• Thanks 1