How Long Before Specter Nerf?

AikijinX.6258

So my question for you is: How long do you think it’ll take for Specter to receive a nerf? For me I am speaking in regard to (WvW and in specific to me, Power SC/D —DP roaming & 1vX Specter) But you guys can speak in regard to any mode and play style.

I think it’s only a matter of time before the community complains about shrouds 2nd life bar (FRAGILE life bar I should add) but even knowing all this about how fragile shroud is… even then I believe the community will still  be in an uproar, and will rally for nerfs for this new specialization’s shroud mechanic. It’s only a matter of time. The upcoming nerf to Specter Shroud that is bound to happen fairly soon into the expansion (I project) will be in addition to the massive gutting that’s already going to happen to SA. 

I’m just curious what you guys feel is going to get targeted and nerfed with Specter and what the next community uprising will be in regard to?

(This is a serious topic and question, not an OMEGALUL Troll post) please try to be respectful. 

Edited by AikijinX.6258

4 minutes ago, Lonewolf Kai.3682 said:

I suspect more core nerfs,  not necessarily Specter nerfs.  

You believe Anet will inadvertently and indirectly continue to nerf core? You think it’ll be as a result of a continuance of “balance” with SA? Or do you think they will go into another trait-line and gut that or an increase  of more core utility CDs?

52 minutes ago, AikijinX.6258 said:

I think it’s only a matter of time before the community complains about shrouds 2nd life bar

I rather think they will raise init cost on Sc/X skill and nerf shadow force generation.

But yea people will complain about thief be to much tanky because of shroud

7 minutes ago, Jumpel.3972 said:

I rather think they will raise init cost on Sc/X skill and nerf shadow force generation.

I doubt theyll increase init costs again tbh, theyll nerf all builds into.the ground and it would be final nail in the coffin

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Jumpel.3972 said:

It’s incredible how people will more than likely complain about Thief being “too tanky” when like 1 or 2 clean hits on shroud can obliterate Shroud hp, and not to mention those builds with high burst condi. Shadow force generation is pretty slow too, but this I can definitely see being nerfed too. It’s only a matter of time. 

which build are you playing with your Specter?

22 hours ago, Lithril Ashwalker.6230 said:

I doubt theyll increase init costs again tbh, theyll nerf all builds into.the ground and it would be final nail in the coffin

Don’t underestimate their ambition to balance and Over-balance.  Unfortunately the majority of people playing this game are more of the Casual/Relaxed kind of player. They will cater to them 1st and foremost. Plus I wouldn’t put it past them to nerf ini for Specter since the Spec itself loses 3 base initiative in general. They don’t want specters to be “too viable” without trickery.

12 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Summer.  That seems to be the projected point where a lot of the EoD balance passes will be put into the game "for real this time."

And what do you project will be the main target for “balance” ?

Given one of the top end thieves keeps saying on stream it's dumb  level broken prolly pretty quickly.

They said in both betas it was extremely overpowered, so I'd imagine you will see the nerfs for it coming tomorrow when we see the new specc  changes / rebalancings for launch 

5 hours ago, Daddy.8125 said:

Given one of the top end thieves keeps saying on stream it's dumb  level broken prolly pretty quickly.

They said in both betas it was extremely overpowered, so I'd imagine you will see the nerfs for it coming tomorrow when we see the new specc  changes / rebalancings for launch 

I don’t disagree with that sentiment at all. I can comfortably 1 v X (WvW) Power Sc/D — DP  Specter. And with this new armor stat combo (dragons) mixed with marauder stats, it’ll allow for higher vitality, but also better precision without having to break your back and suffer too much. I will say this now. 

Pack Runes are one of the most well rounded runes in this game for a power specter that’ wants to min max crit chance and power. But we’ll have to see what the new runes look like. 

Give the game a vitality, precision,, power based rune and you’ll never hear the end of power creep. (exuberance rune is already here, but that’s kinda meh.)

Edited by AikijinX.6258

38 minutes ago, AikijinX.6258 said:

I don’t disagree with that sentiment at all. I can comfortably 1 v X (WvW) Power Sc/D — DP  Specter. And with this new armor stat combo (dragons) mixed with marauder stats, it’ll allow for higher vitality, but also better precision without having to break your back and suffer too much. I will say this now. 

Pack Runes are one of the most well rounded runes in this game, and for a power specter. But we’ll have to see what the new runes look like. 

Give the game a vitality, precision,, power based rune and you’ll never hear the end of power creep. (exuberance rune is already here, but that’s kinda meh.)

It's such a niche and unique elite I am concerned to how they will balance it though. 

When we have seen more unique elites oftenly they've gutted them (chronomancer mirage etc etc) not saying they didn't need nerfing. But they did very quick boxcut gutting to them to fix the solution. 

I hope specter doesn't share that same fate but they are abit more intelligent when it comes to balancing the proffession. 

2 hours ago, Daddy.8125 said:

It's such a niche and unique elite I am concerned to how they will balance it though. 

When we have seen more unique elites oftenly they've gutted them (chronomancer mirage etc etc) not saying they didn't need nerfing. But they did very quick boxcut gutting to them to fix the solution. 

I hope specter doesn't share that same fate but they are abit more intelligent when it comes to balancing the proffession. 

Specter will most certainly receive a similar fate, probably not the same (Right now). But unfortunately since Specter is VERY GOOD, and especially (In the hands of competent Thieves) it’ll pose a problem for the more casual based players (in WvW) . Specter is very solid. And because of this, we will receive among the harshest of “balances” I believe. This is due to the fact that most of the community just doesn’t care or know how to counter Thieves or play against them in general and that’s the unfortunate part about it.  And simply refuse to learn because mass uprisings for Thief nerfs solve things much quicker than practicing. 

Edited by AikijinX.6258

55 minutes ago, AikijinX.6258 said:

Specter will most certainly receive a similar fate, probably not the same (Right now). But unfortunately since Specter is VERY GOOD, and especially (In the hands of competent Thieves) it’ll pose a problem for the more casual based players (in WvW) . Specter is very solid. And because of this, we will receive among the harshest of “balances” I believe. This is due to the fact that most of the community just doesn’t care or know how to counter Thieves or play against them in general and that’s the unfortunate part about it.  And simply refuse to learn because mass uprisings for Thief nerfs solve things much quicker than practicing. 

On another note, specter is pretty forgiving so we are getting new blood into the profession, which means that less people are going to complain.

3 hours ago, Zacchary.6183 said:

If you are using anything other than traversing dusk and either s/x or d/p, yes it is slow.

Yes T.D gives a lot of generation to shroud. I can honestly see this getting nerfed. But would it be justified? I just don’t know. I couldn’t answer that. 

2 hours ago, Zacchary.6183 said:

On another note, specter is pretty forgiving so we are getting new blood into the profession, which means that less people are going to complain.

New blood to the class is always good. But we are talking about Thief here. This class always comes with outcries and calls for nerfs. It comes with the class.

3 minutes ago, AikijinX.6258 said:

Yes T.D gives a lot of generation to shroud. I can honestly see this getting nerfed. But would it be justified? I just don’t know. I couldn’t answer that. 

New blood to the class is always good. But we are talking about Thief here. This class always comes with outcries and calls for nerfs. It comes with the class.

Mostly people kitten about stealth. They have not touched evasion in a while, but then again not many thieves use it.

45 minutes ago, Zacchary.6183 said:

Mostly people kitten about stealth. They have not touched evasion in a while, but then again not many thieves use it.

People cry when they can see us (evasion era)

People cry when they cannot see us (on-going stealth era)

And now people will cry when they cannot get past our 2 life bars (tanky-specter era) 

There really isn’t any winning. And although as I said above, our shroud is very fragile and can easily be bursted. People will still have a problem.

People fear what they don’t know or care to learn.

Edited by AikijinX.6258
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AikijinX.6258 said:

People cry when they can see us (evasion era)

People cry when they cannot see us (on-going stealth era)

And now people will cry when they cannot get past our 2 life bars (tanky-specter era) 

There really isn’t any winning. And although as I said above, our shroud is very fragile and can easily be bursted. People will still have a problem.

People fear what they don’t know or care to learn.

this...this right here is to the point. dammit dude this hit home xD ^1 upvoted!

It was already nerfed but the 1st post EoD patch will include Specter nerfs and maybe some tooltip updates, then every patch after that will include more nerfs, along with old Thief elite spec nerfs to make what they nerfed on Specter look more appealing than other specs despite it's nerf.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

It was already nerfed but the 1st post EoD patch will include Specter nerfs and maybe some tooltip updates, then every patch after that will include more nerfs, along with old Thief elite spec nerfs to make what they nerfed on Specter look more appealing than other specs despite it's nerf.

This is exactly what I feel is going to happen. You more than likely hit their “balance” philosophy spot on. But as said before, Specter is in a pretty strong spot. (In the hands of competent players.. wvw wise) to everyone else  this Specter may seem a little underrated and not good enough. 

1 Thing I know is that if they sped up the Sc/D twilight combo skill and fixed the pathing since the last beta, then power Specter will be very high on the list for roaming/1vX specs (for me). Speeding up the skill and fixing the pathing is a necessary QoL fix that should have been looked at since beta 3 and already fixed in beta 4. But I digress… I hope the projected nerfs don’t have anything to do with initiative increases. 

2 hours ago, MrForz.1953 said:

O lord the pre-release lamentations, I can't believe what I'm reading.

What do you expect? Do you truly believe Anet wants the player to be super successful with a profession. If it over performs and you’re too successful with the class Mechanic(s) then you get punished. This is how it’s always been. 

As soon as competent thieves start running specter and because of their skill and knowledge of the game, start destroying the more casual and chill group of the gw2 community in WvW or even in PvP. Then it will start to become a problem, because Specter will be seen as over-tuned, rather than validating the Specter player’s own skill.