EoD Fishing needs work! [Merged]

I’m struggling to understand where the complexity is. The green bar moves slower than your red catchment bar so you barely have to do anything. Just keep it over it long enough until the fish is caught

my only minor gripe is so far I can’t keybind fishing but maybe I’m missing that in the menu?

Edited by Randulf.7614
  • Like 3
  • Confused 2

I found it intuitive, easy and quite enjoyable.

I have yet to fail and I really like that there is more to it than just "press a button to get fish". 

I love that there's some skill required, a bit like a jumping puzzle. 

If it was simple then I wouldn't bother with it, it'd be boring. As it is now I enjoy it exactly because of the gameplay. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

13 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

Seems quite simple to me. Figured it out on the first fish, the controls seemed natural, didnt even check the tooltips, just caught the fish. 

That wasn't my experience at all. It was a hard challenge to keep the fast moving , fast direction changing  green bar inside the small red area (slightly bigger then the green bar). I was livid with this. 😄 I thought it would be easy, fun and enjoyable instead about 10 casts in(and almost catching a fish but always failing) i had caught nothing! I gave up and asked in map chat if others were having similar problems and some were. I continued on with map exploration and let it go. I came back later tried a few more times and still found it frustrating. I finally caught my first fish however but it didn't get any easier until i got my first mastery. For some reason i noticed now the green bar actually slowed down sometimes and i thought the red area had gotten larger. I wish i recorded this so i could go back and compare, but i do think the red area is getting bigger which means it should be easier for people to keep the green dash inside it.

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 3

The main problem we need "focus" on bar, not against the difficult itself, but we can't appreciate "scenery" if we had to maintain our eyes fixed on that bar, this  "steal" the joy a bit. 

i hope they balance that.

I was extremely against fishing, but i see a lots of potencial on it on exploring maps, there on right path on the idea that even myself liked it . Just need some a bit of balance. Because if we need focus too much on that bar, its another 'mini game'.

Edited by ugrakarma.9416
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Fleo.7324 said:

I agree that the whole concept is not as relaxing as maybe people expected. I don't like how you just need to stare at a bar, and ignore everything else on the screen. Kind of breaks the immersion in my opinion...

So far this is my issue.  If I'm fishing, I want to be looking at the fish/my line/the splashes, not a bouncing bar.  That's not fun.

• Like 9

The minigame was pretty intuitive, i quickly figured it out on the first catch you need to do during the story.

Also, every game i played that had fishing in it, it was done as a minigame where you need to balance your fishing rod between "line tears" and "not enough pull, fish gets away", wich this one is too, so not sure what people expected. With how big of a deal they made out of that feature it was clear that this activity takes more effort than like the fishing in thunderhead peaks where you just need to press F.

Edited by Jojo.6140
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, Jojo.6140 said:

The minigame was pretty intuitive, i quickly figured it out on the first catch you need to do during the story.

Also, every game i played that had fishing in it, it was done as a minigame where you need to balance your fishing rod between "line tears" and "not enough pull, fish gets away", wich this one is too, so not sure what people expected. With how big of a deal they made out of that feature it was clear that this activity takes more effort than like the fishing in thunderhead peaks where you just need to pree F.

Probably like wow does it, you literally just click, wait for a splash and click again. 

But that's so boring and void of any challenge, I would have been so disappointed if Gw2 did it this way.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

I didn't have any issue with the 'easy' places I fished, but the 'expert' places were a completely different story.  (The little red hook below the fishing bar denotes what level the fishing spot is rated.)  I could not find an 'easy', or any place below 'expert' in Ascalon.  Hopefully, it will be more manageable once I am past Tier 1 in the Fishing Mastery.  :classic_unsure:

• Like 1

A reflex minigame to advance the story? Really? Yes, for some people fishing is an easy, simple thing to do. Not for others though. I spent 30 minutes trying to catch a fish for Aurene and never even came close. My reflexes and hand/eye coordination are just too slow. Even with an expensive fish booster food, I couldn't do it. What I was looking forward to as a relaxing activity turned out to be anything but for me.

If fishing is easy for you, I'm glad for your sake. If fishing was an optional activity, I'd just ignore it and move on. As a required activity though, it is just frustration for me. My guild is going to do a group run through Cantha tomorrow and I'll ask them to go through that part of the story with me to see if group fishing makes it easier. Still, as much as I've been looking forward to EoD, this really put a frustrating blot on the experience for me.

Edited by Chichimec.9364
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Some fish are made to be harder to catch until you've improved your masteries etc.
There's also a heart that gives you additional fishing power for 1 hour.

I'm not sure what was difficult with the tutorial one honestly. It requires way less reflex than say... dodging.
It is better to use the keyboard for it though.

Edited by Deihnyx.6318
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

I did some fishing in the Cantha starting area and it worked great.

But I want to Queensdale and there I get "The fish escaped" every time. (Fish is moving much faster than I can follow)

I can't even fish because I need a lure of bait!  Do you need more masteries before you can fish outside Cantha?

Fishing in Cantha is doable, although an unenjoyable chore, but fishing in Tyria is impossible. The green bar moves faster than the orange one, so there's really nothing a player can actually do.

My fishing power is at 95% (what does that even mean?), so I would expect to be able to catch at least something (with 95% being almost 100% of some arbitrary measure of something unspecified), but it sure doesn't look possible.

I really don't care that it can get easier with leveling mastery all the way to the cover of all the fishing magazines, because the decision to have it start at an uselessly impossible difficulty is just an idiotic waste of everyone's time - players' and developers'.

EDIT: And then they put a Daily on it! Oh, Anet, you troll 😆

Edited by Jajo.1428
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If the fishing is hard for you, it means you have not enough fishing power. Having at least the recommended power for the spot makes it easy, and having more makes the catch trivial. Without fishing power it is nearly impossible, and fairly depending on rng to keep up.

However, I wonder if there isn't oversight. As of now, if you go to low level area in core maps, your fishing power stat is downscaled to same percentage as other stats, so in lvl 33 zone, 410 power is now 55 power, and fishing pools need 400, so it is giga hard. (So for now, choosing zones with higher lvls is good tactics)

For fishing power, you can get bunch from masteries, then buying lures/baits on fish suppliers, then having food buff to have full belly. So far I found out that 500ish fishing power is reachable. And then party buffs and repeatable catch buffs probably can raise it way higher.

Edited by Hanakocz.5697
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, LadyRhonwyn.2501 said:

How do you all fish in core maps?  Is that not accountbound but character bound or something?  Because I can summon my skiff, but not fish.

Rod is unlocked on all characters, but you need to buy and equip either lure, or bait to be able to fish. So visit that fish trader to buy some for your next characters you want to fish with.

50 minutes ago, Gladiotor.7561 said:

Basically you just want to press F to harvest a node? 

Who said that?

As for difficulty: go to a nice lake in Iron Marches, find a quaint and picturesque fishing hole and share your thoughts.

• Thanks 1