EoD Fishing needs work! [Merged]

30 minutes ago, Hanakocz.5697 said:

Rod is unlocked on all characters, but you need to buy and equip either lure, or bait to be able to fish. So visit that fish trader to buy some for your next characters you want to fish with.

Is there really only one vendor for this stuff?

This is the kind of stuff they need to sell all over the place, but I can't find any source of it in Divinity's Reach, or in Arborstone when I teleported an alt there.

38 minutes ago, Hanakocz.5697 said:

Rod is unlocked on all characters, but you need to buy and equip either lure, or bait to be able to fish. So visit that fish trader to buy some for your next characters you want to fish with.

I have found a few fishmongers, but they only sold fish, no lures or baits...

11 hours ago, FattyLumpkin.3420 said:

Not sure if this is what you mean but I found it right under the swap weapon button. It's a new button. I hope that makes sense.

I found it a little later last night, but that was it, thanks. I looked for it in my inventory and the equipment menu, never guessed it would be down there.

I love that there is a challenge to the fishing and not just a press F to harvest kind of thing! I hope they won't change it too much, but I haven't played much yet and imagine it probably needs some balancing. The fishing in the Aurene story part should definitely be easier, it's not fun being forced to do optional content you find too hard just to progress the story. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I love the fishing minigame so far, having a blast figuring out which spots, bait and day of time to get the acsended and legendary fish.

I find the mink game quite easy, havent failed a fish yet. I use A ane D key and just hold them down whatever direktion I want to move. 

10/10 gonna become a fisherman instead of commander

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, misterman.1530 said:

Yeah. Hate playing minigames - it's like I bought an MMO and I have to play a bunch of mobile arcade-style games to progress.

A good chunk of gw2 is minigames, hate to break it to you.  If you would rather just do the same thing over and over brainlessly, I would recommend cookie clicker. 

Edited by Einsof.1457
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

There is that saying "Play the game, not the UI". Seems Anet has changed their direction on that with fishing.

To me, in all the games I've played, fishing was always meant to be a relaxing thing you did on the side. Waiting for a dungeon/raid? Waiting for friends to show up for a mission? Just want to chill for a bit? Whip out your fishing pole and relax.

Seems Anet doesn't want that, and would rather us play our UI instead of the game now. So now we play minigames in our UI instead of looking at the animations and art that went into everything. This is the one game I've played where they made a simple thing like fishing more complex than it needed to be. It's not hard or anything, just an annoyance. I'd rather be looking at the game world, than playing minigames on my UI.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Not sure how fishing should work on starter zones. I was doing Ascalon Fisher daily and I noticed when I was fishing on Plain of Ashford, the hook was red and it said recommended fishing power: 400 and my fishing power was 9. Now when I go check my fishing power on hero panel, it states 235 fishing power. So is it based on effective level as well and if it is, you have to have insane fishing power to get close to 400 on low level zones or am I missing something. I got daily done though but took some doing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Einsof.1457 said:

A good chunk of gw2 is minigames, hate to break it to you.  If you would rather just do the same thing over and over brainlessly, I would recommend cookie clicker. 

Hahaha....oh, you were serious? What "mini-games" are mandatory? That is, what other Personal Story quest mission requires you to do mini-games. I must have missed the Donkey Kong part when I killed Mordremoth.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

OK, after spending more time fishing in-game, I find it's not hard and I like the collection aspect, just don't like having to stare at that bouncing bar.  Also, it would seem intuitive to have bait shops in places that make sense -- around the docks, with the other merchants, not some random heart guy off by himself.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Einsof.1457 said:

you never said mandatory. fishing isnt mandatory, doofus.  do you know what an "adventure" is in gw2 context? You play HoT ever?

Ooo...name calling. That's always the sign of a greater intellect. For one, fishing is mandatory if you want to craft a legendary and to make new foodstuffs. Though I guess, in a broader sense, not really mandatory. I hated "adventures" in HoT and only did those begrudgingly for legendaries. Did I have to to progress the game? Nope. Did I have to to get a legendary, yup. Pathetic game design. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Adding my voice as well, to the OP. Fishing in GW2 is anything but relaxing and it needs work.

It could do with a thorough in-game tutorial, because I suspect a big part of the problem is that people do not understand how to modify their fishing skill, and why it might matter. I mean, you added tutorials for dodging, breakbars and such, and yet you added fishing to the game without a tutorial. This feels out of sync.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, misterman.1530 said:

Ooo...name calling. That's always the sign of a greater intellect. For one, fishing is mandatory if you want to craft a legendary and to make new foodstuffs. Though I guess, in a broader sense, not really mandatory. I hated "adventures" in HoT and only did those begrudgingly for legendaries. Did I have to to progress the game? Nope. Did I have to to get a legendary, yup. Pathetic game design. 

Yeah, you should be just given them on a platter as a log-in bonus. That would be better design. 

• Confused 4

I've tried fishing in glowing pools next to skiff heart and found it to be fairly simple. If anything looking for intial bob is more annoying since it happens quickly and you can easily miss it if you look away.

But minigame itself is simple, responsive and fun to me. So far my biggest complaint it absolutely oafish running animation of femnorn when I have rod out.

Seems pretty straightforward. Got it the first couple of tries and then went exploring. Found a trader in Kaineng that sold a better lure and baits. When I equipped those it was easier. I haven't tried it outside EOD yet though but curious to try now that people say it scales with the zone level.

Ive already just not been leveling up fishing. Saving the limited mastery points for the other mastery things.

Somehow, in the design process, they failed to do the one important thing that most fishing mechanics do in other games:

---- Keep you focused on the water/fishing line/bobber/fish  -----

This games fishing makes you look down at the bottom UI, completely ignoring the actual fishing graphics. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3