EoD Fishing needs work! [Merged]

On 3/1/2022 at 10:39 AM, Palador.2170 said:

Is there really only one vendor for this stuff?

This is the kind of stuff they need to sell all over the place, but I can't find any source of it in Divinity's Reach, or in Arborstone when I teleported an alt there.

There are merchants who are selling lures on every single eod map. The best ones are from de map. Idk about arborstone tho 

4 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

To be fair, the adventure requirements for HoT specialization weapons were no different for many of us. At least for fishing, once you have full mastery and decent equipment, it's just time consuming, where some of the HoT adventures still required at least basic skill at the adventure. To this day I don't know how I ever managed Fallen Masks for the Dark Harvest collection, but I do know that all my tries combined took a lot more time than fishing any of the exotic fish I've caught for the EoD collections up to now.

While I don't mind the fishing food all that much (you get plenty of fish in the process to cook your own or to sell for gold to buy new food), the skiff buff really is non-intuitive. I've tried it a few times after maxing the skiff mastery, but have since decided to simply ignore it.

I do have fully mastery, food, ect.  I still can't do it.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2022 at 10:16 AM, Klowdy.3126 said:

I feel like people are just trying to follow the thing blindly, without trying to predict the next move, and not taking action to head it off.

I'm curious as to how you can "predict" what is essentially -- as best I can tell -- a RNG on when the marker changes directions? If there was a way to determine when it was about to change direction or speed (such as a color change, a subtle wiggle, or some other indicator) then yeah, that would be one thing.  But right now, the only 'trick' to that so far I've been able to determine is to keep the moving marker towards the forwards end of your bracket so you have a little more time to react to a direction change when it occurs.  Which of course doesn't help all that much if your fish gets one of those bursts of speed that is simply faster than the set speed your bracket can move.  If you have any other tips and tricks, I'd love to hear them.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, soul.9651 said:

There are merchants who are selling lures on every single eod map. The best ones are from de map. Idk about arborstone tho 

Yeah, but why in just the EoD map?  You are presumably expected to fish anywhere there's deep enough water, so why not have lures and bait available at all the various normal merchants elsewhere in the game as well? If Random Joe Skritt sitting on a trash pile in central Tyria can happily sell me picks, sickles and axes, they sure as heck can sell me other gathering tools such as wooden lures and crappy minnows as well.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, SteveMND.1754 said:

Yeah, but why in just the EoD map?  You are presumably expected to fish anywhere there's deep enough water, so why not have lures and bait available at all the various normal merchants elsewhere in the game as well? If Random Joe Skritt sitting on a trash pile in central Tyria can happily sell me picks, sickles and axes, they sure as heck can sell me other gathering tools such as wooden lures and crappy minnows as well.

Hmmm well thats true

1 hour ago, SteveMND.1754 said:

You can use your arborstone warp to dip over there and buy almost all the baits you will need. 

2 hours ago, SteveMND.1754 said:

I'm curious as to how you can "predict" what is essentially -- as best I can tell -- a RNG on when the marker changes directions? If there was a way to determine when it was about to change direction or speed (such as a color change, a subtle wiggle, or some other indicator) then yeah, that would be one thing.  But right now, the only 'trick' to that so far I've been able to determine is to keep the moving marker towards the forwards end of your bracket so you have a little more time to react to a direction change when it occurs.  Which of course doesn't help all that much if your fish gets one of those bursts of speed that is simply faster than the set speed your bracket can move.  If you have any other tips and tricks, I'd love to hear them.

Like I said, if it hasn't changed direction for half of the bar, and it's been acting crazy, maybe be prepared for a reverse. Some of the fish seem much, much easier, some are slower, and some aren't. There is also the trick I said about not going all the way to the end of the bar, and letting it come back into range. I'm not saying you need to you need to be nostradamus, but being able to use judgements to outsmart the program should happen after you've fished up a few.

• Confused 3

On 3/9/2022 at 1:32 PM, Gibson.4036 said:

Having the wider player bar due to high fishing power compensates for this. You'll have a longer time to change direction before the green bar is out, and it will take longer for the green bar to escape as you follow it.

The problem with this is I've given up on fishing and don't see my being able to level it. Even if I didn't give it up. I don't catch fish; they just escape. I tried again tonight. I won't be able to complete that map.

I'm incredibly bummed. 😞 

Still don't like the bar. Any other kind of fishing than this version, anet! T.T  I can look at a pencil and have the same kind of .. experience. Taking  your eyes off the scenery is no longer 'fishing'. I tried to just see if I could toggle left and right, to oppose the way the fish swims in the water, that would be cool - then you don't have to stare at the bottom of the screen while fishing.

😧

Edited by saturnberry.2854
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Minjin.8259 said:

I do have fully mastery, food, ect.  I still can't do it.

What is your fishing power when you try it, and what is the recommended fishing power for the spot you are in? You can check both by moving the mouse over the hook icon in the lower left of the fishing bar when you try to reel in a fish (wait for the red exclamation mark to appear over your character, press 1, then the bar will appear).

With full fishing mastery, good lures/bait, and fishing food, you should have a fishing power of around 575%:

• 100% for tier 5 fishing mastery
  • 100% for any buyable bait
  • 100% for amber/jade lure
  • 100% for fishing on a full tank
  • 150% from food (I like to use bowl of fish stew since I can easily cook it up from all the fish I gather)
  • 25% from the basic fishing rod

Fishing holes around the EoD maps recommend around 250% fishing power, so with the above 575% you should have a comfortably wide bar to keep most fish inside for long enough to catch them. Occasionally there's a fish (or piece of driftwood) that zips around and changes direction like crazy, but since you don't use up bait/lure unless you actually catch the fish it shouldn't worry you if you lose that one.

Once you've got the hang of how to move the bar to catch the fish you can branch out into non-EoD maps where recommended fishing power can go as far up as 600% (from what I've seen). Get the skiff mastery and a couple of friends to fish with to push your fishing power even higher for an easier time.

2 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

What is your fishing power when you try it, and what is the recommended fishing power for the spot you are in? You can check both by moving the mouse over the hook icon in the lower left of the fishing bar when you try to reel in a fish (wait for the red exclamation mark to appear over your character, press 1, then the bar will appear).

With full fishing mastery, good lures/bait, and fishing food, you should have a fishing power of around 575%:

• 100% for tier 5 fishing mastery
  • 100% for any buyable bait
  • 100% for amber/jade lure
  • 100% for fishing on a full tank
  • 150% from food (I like to use bowl of fish stew since I can easily cook it up from all the fish I gather)
  • 25% from the basic fishing rod

Fishing holes around the EoD maps recommend around 250% fishing power, so with the above 575% you should have a comfortably wide bar to keep most fish inside for long enough to catch them. Occasionally there's a fish (or piece of driftwood) that zips around and changes direction like crazy, but since you don't use up bait/lure unless you actually catch the fish it shouldn't worry you if you lose that one.

Once you've got the hang of how to move the bar to catch the fish you can branch out into non-EoD maps where recommended fishing power can go as far up as 600% (from what I've seen). Get the skiff mastery and a couple of friends to fish with to push your fishing power even higher for an easier time.

I don't know, I was just trying to catch the fish for the ascended weapon collection.  But it's more about my hands and neck than anything.

Spending 2 hours pressing 1 just to RNG into 1 specific exotic rarity fish (while getting 8 legendary rarity ones) feels like trash. Change it so I don't have to watch my remaining 3 braincells evaporate, if you want more people to actually do it and advertise skiff skins.

Edited by rune.9572
  • Like 7

20 hours ago, SteveMND.1754 said:

And doing so would likely take all of 20 seconds to write a SQL statement...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rune.9572 said:

Spending 2 hours pressing 1 just to RNG into 1 specific exotic rarity fish (while getting 8 legendary rarity ones) feels like trash. Change it so I don't have to watch my remaining 3 braincells evaporate, if you want more people to actually do it and advertise skiff skins.

I see people fishing in zones all through the game.

3 hours ago, rune.9572 said:

This, a thousand times this.

Yesterday it was actually fun working my way through a zones list of fish, today spending well over 2 hours trying and failing to catch the two remaining fish required put me off this kitten for a long time.

I get the feeling that fishing power is screwed up the same way magic find was at lunar new year, the higher my fishing power got the more greys i seemed to be fishing up, definitely didn't feel that way yesterday but today it's insane how much greys i was fishing up while at the point where fishing party buff completely disappears because you're over 99 stacks. It would be fine if the greys were actually decent vendor trash but right now it feels terrible to fish them up because it's just a waste of time, bait and lures. Spending an hour at pretty much the maximum fishing power you can maintain for that duration and outleveling the requirement by a good 300 should not be giving you more grey junk than a full t4 + recs fractal run gives, especially when they sell for coppers unlike fractal junk.

This is the latest patch released today, yesterday didn't feel this way.

Edited by Bookah pls.9352
This latest patch
  • Like 2

The party buff doesn't disappear over 99 stacks, it just stops showing. Still and issue, just different issue. When you go to check your fishing screen or you mouse over the little tab while fishing, it still shows the increase to fishing power. 

Imo There should be a substantial fishing buff for fishing from the shore. The reason is that all fishing spots can be reached with a skiff *1 but not all fishing spots can be reached from the shore. This would also reward players for having the increased range mastery. As it currently stands, the increased range is utterly useless because you can park your skiff as close to the fishing node as you like.

*1 Except for a very few that are located in no-mount zones.

• Like 2

TL:DR - The GW2 wiki has a page on fishing, well worth a read as this may answer questions - wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fishing.  There are also links at the bottom of the page that discuss individual elements in greater detail: Bait, Fishing Power, List of Fish, Lure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I quite like the fishing - it would have been helpful to have 'tool tips' or tutorial the first time you equip your fishing pole though, because figuring it out can be a little frustrating when you don't know where to look.  

For those still struggling with fishing and haven't read the previous 6-7 pages...this is not exhaustive, but will hopefully help.

Open your hero panel, then Fishing.  In the equipment panes, at the top should be the fishing rod you equipped.  Under the fishing rod are equipment panes for bait and lure.  Baits and lure give fishing power.  I'm doing this from memory, so no doubt I will miss something.

Fishing: once you have a fish on the line, you should see the bobber bouncing furiously and a pink exclamation! symbol appear over your character head.  Sometimes, as I experienced last night, the ! does not appear or I'm in an area where I can't zoom my camera out - so I had to rely on observing bobber motion.  Press 1 to hook the fish when the bobber/! appear.  A window with a slider will appear in the centre and over your profession action bar - I call this the 'fight bar'.    Just under the left side of the  'fight bar'  there is a coloured circle with a hook in it - a stoplight system displaying fishing power:

• Red - your fishing power is too low for the area, and you are very unlikely to catch any fish
  • Amber - your fishing power is low, but you might manage to catch a fish
  • Green - your fishing power is good and you have a high chance of catching a fish.

You need to press the corresponding keys for the right and left motion to keep the fish bar in the slider.  It is much easier to use the keyboard rather than mouse for this - at least for me, as my reaction times are not the best.  

Pay attention to the bait you use in the different areas.  If your fishing power is green, but you are only catching weeds, you may not be using the right bait for the area.  Open up the fishing achievement panel for the area you are fishing in, hover your cursor over the fish you want to catch.  This will display the location, time of day, and favoured bait.   wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bait has a list of bait and wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_Fish provides interactive and detailed information.   

There are food buffs that provide extra fishing power - I don't know if vendors sell them, but they can be crafted if you've got a chef, or you can buy them from the trading post.  If you've got an artificer, make some Metabolic Primer and take it before consuming food - it will increase the buff duration to 2 hours.

Lures - these can be purchased from Fishing Supply vendors.  These are a consumable and provide a fishing power buff.

Bait - provides a fishing power buff.

If you are catching nothing or grey items, check your lure or bait has not run out.

Edited by fizzypetal.7936