Connection error

I get a "Connection error" every time I try to launch the game.  Rebooting and disabling my firewall do not help.  I assume there are multiple problems with today's rush of players.  However, I don't see many complaints of lock-out while others are able to log in and play.  So, I thought it appropriate to post this for others who might be locked out as I am.  I purchased the new expansion yesterday and successfully added it to my account.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

It's broken again.  I played last night just fine with no disconnects.  This morning, I repeatedly get "Connection error" and cannot play the game.

This is very frustrating, and I don't see others having this particular problem.  I've followed the advice on older threads (flushing DNS, deleting roaming, etc.) and still can't even log into the game.  Buyers' remorse is looming.

Edited by PepeLePewPew.2107
  • Sad 1

Since I don't even see this posted as a known issue and tech support gave up, I'm going to request a refund.  I've spent too much time on workarounds already and don't want to be bothered anymore.  Does anyone know whether you can still play the game without the expansion once it's refunded, or is your whole account deleted?  I'd like to come back if they work this out, but I don't see the point in them keeping my payment when I can't and might never again be able to play.

• Sad 1

Thank you for the suggestion redfox.

Update:

I was granted a refund for EoD.  The refund removed the expansion by invalidating the key for EoD, while leaving the rest of the game intact.  Currently I can log in on my laptop with access to all pre-EoD, though I cannot play fully on that computer (performance is worse than before EoD).

I'd encourage anyone to try the solutions posted in the forums as they seem to work for some.  However, what I experienced was not resolved after multiple attempts.  Tech support was very friendly and did what they could, but clearly there is a new issue with the installer.  I resorted to a refund since there isn't even a mention of this being an issue that's being worked on, and the refund window is limited.

Best of luck to those still trying to install this, and thanks to the forum members who are an example of how friendly and helpful this community is.  Hope to see you in game eventually!

• Sad 2

So sorry that you had to uninstall EoD and are having so many problems.

This whole "Unable to Open Archive FIle / Download failed!  Please check your internet connection and try again" over and over and over is what's driving me crazy.  It has nothing to do with my computer because if I keep trying long enough, I'm eventually able to log in.  But to take 10, 20, 30 attempts every time I try to log in is really getting old.  Today I can't seem to get in at all, but I keep trying, so maybe......................

1 hour ago, Ashani.8530 said:

So sorry that you had to uninstall EoD and are having so many problems.

This whole "Unable to Open Archive FIle / Download failed!  Please check your internet connection and try again" over and over and over is what's driving me crazy.  It has nothing to do with my computer because if I keep trying long enough, I'm eventually able to log in.  But to take 10, 20, 30 attempts every time I try to log in is really getting old.  Today I can't seem to get in at all, but I keep trying, so maybe......................

Seems this person had luck resetting their modem.  Something others can try.

I found that I had to reset my modem to be able to log in again today, although perhaps if I had kept trying without doing that,  I might have been able to get in eventually anyway.

Btw..... If anyone is running a VPN, that seems to be a problem with GW2.  At least for me.  And maybe my use of a VPN earlier today caused a problem, although I wasn't using it when I tried to log in.  At any rate, modem reset seems to fix the problem.......... unless it's a coincidence.  lol

Hopefully this will be of help for those who still can't log in.

Having a lot of connection issues here as well. Can log in, can't load onto a character. If I happen to be able to get onto a character I get kicked shortly afterwards. If the notification of losing connection happens in a loading screen that results in an infinite loading screen, which has been happening a lot. This only started about 3h ago.

I've yet to restart my modem but will attempt it and see if that changes anything.

I am using ExitLag (at the suggestion of the support team) so I'm hoping that's not causing issues.

Edit: restarted and so far so good, hoping this holds out.

Second edit: just got kicked again.

Edited by Miss Lana.5276

I'm hesitant to post this out of embarrassment, but hopefully it will help some other players.

My issue turned out to be ZoneAlarm's Game Mode.  Apparently, even if the firewall is disabled Game Mode will block installation if it is turned on.  I've installed other software and games with no trouble, but GuildWars2 doesn't like it. (/sigh)

So, if you use ZoneAlarm make certain Game Mode is turned off when installing.  Turning the firewall off completely isn't even necessary.

I'll update my support ticket with this info.  Thanks everyone!

• Sad 1