Progressing the main story blocked by a jumping puzzle?

23 minutes ago, mindcircus.1506 said:

So lets see now:
Anet can't put a raptor jumping sequence in the game because there is some fictional player out there who can't get one.
Anet can't balance their runes because there are fictional disabled people who aparently needed them to complete basic content.
Anet can't put a memory puzzle in the game because there are pretend people who struggle to recall three basic shapes and colors.

I'm wonder what kind of game the people arguing on behalf if pretend people are asking for.

To be fair, there are real, non-fictional players that fall in the 2nd and 3rd category, but I agree with you that those are few and shouldn't define the base line of what this game's story asks from the players. Fortunately the game allows any story instance to be played with up to 5 people, so there is a work-around for those people that works with a lot of the problems. This story step unfortunately is outside of an instance, but as mentioned above, with a bit of patience there are ways to do this with minimum jumping (or even no jumping) required.

The first group actually is a non-issue in this case, since the heart around which the raptor jumping sequence is centered, explicitely directs players to the raptor unlock in New Kaineng City (just a few steps away). I took it more as an introduction to raptors for non-PoF players, just like the intro story of PoF (where you had to jump gaps on your new raptor, too, if I recall it correctly).

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 4:32 PM, Valisha.8650 said:

Jumping puzzles have no place in the game, outside of instances dedicated to them. Imagine forcing someone to do PvP in order to finish the story. The difference is, you can just faceroll through PvP and sooner or later you will win a match, maybe even get something fun from the reward track, while jumping puzzles are just annoying and rewards for them are abysmal. If i wanted to play such stuff, I would go play some Facebook flash arcade game.

dont give them ideas lol

On 3/1/2022 at 5:01 PM, Seanchai.2640 said:

It is an introduction to players who have not used a raptor before.  So you need to run around a little and get used to the raptors jumping. 

It feels like you have to do this with a raptor, but you can do this without, by just finding spots you can run up to the top and just walk to the AC units on the roof.

This makes no sense.  Ideally, you'd use a springer to do that, not a raptor.  Making you use the raptor actually increases the difficulty, so it was designed to be as annoying and frustrating as possible.  It is that way on purpose.

Creating a quest like this to teach people how to use a raptor makes little sense.

If this required using a springer, it would not be an issue.  Them forcing you to use a raptor is what makes it as awful as it is.

And don't you need PoFire to get a raptor, anyways?  The quests to get those mounts have a tutorial built-in, so using this as a teaching method is wholly redundant/unnecessary?

Edited by Tren.5120
  • Thanks 2

I agree, It really annoyed me that I couldn't use my skyscale. I found it really difficult to even know where to go, nevermond getting there. 

What you can do, is drop the crates, pick them up again and it randomizes the 3 you have to deliver to. i did the same one twice this way xD, so that helped alot lol.

I'm assuming this heart/story marker woth the crates and steam power is the raptor jp you're talking about

Edited by Taygus.4571
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tren.5120 said:

This makes no sense.  Ideally, you'd use a springer to do that, not a raptor.  Making you use the raptor actually increases the difficulty, so it was designed to be as annoying and frustrating as possible.  It is that way on purpose.

Creating a quest like this to teach people how to use a raptor makes little sense.

If this required using a springer, it would not be an issue.  Them forcing you to use a raptor is what makes it as awful as it is.

And don't you need PoFire to get a raptor, anyways?  The quests to get those mounts have a tutorial built-in, so using this as a teaching method is wholly redundant/unnecessary?

I agree with all you said. But want to correct the last bit.

Eod gives,  raptor, springer and glider without previous expansions. You get the raptor near this particular heart

52 minutes ago, Jalad Lantana.3027 said:

I  despise any MMORPG challenge that is not combat or replaces ones regular skills and equipment with some one off gimmick.  It's just devs to lazy to work up good and new combat scenarios and instead throw in this easy to code mobile games for kiddies BS.

This doesn't make sense. Traditionally roleplaying games were always a mix of combat and puzzles. If anything I'd say today's games are more combat heavy than the ones I played when I first got into the genre (about 35 years ago ... yes, I'm ancient 😉 ). There's nothing lazy about creating puzzles, on the contrary, and EoD really has them well integrated into both storyline and maps.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jalad Lantana.3027 said:

I  despise any MMORPG challenge that is not combat or replaces ones regular skills and equipment with some one off gimmick.  It's just devs to lazy to work up good and new combat scenarios and instead throw in this easy to code mobile games for kiddies BS.

You may be playing the wrong game if this is the case.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/4/2022 at 5:55 AM, Rasimir.6239 said:

To be fair, there are real, non-fictional players that fall in the 2nd and 3rd category, but I agree with you that those are few and shouldn't define the base line of what this game's story asks from the players. Fortunately the game allows any story instance to be played with up to 5 people, so there is a work-around for those people that works with a lot of the problems. This story step unfortunately is outside of an instance, but as mentioned above, with a bit of patience there are ways to do this with minimum jumping (or even no jumping) required.

The first group actually is a non-issue in this case, since the heart around which the raptor jumping sequence is centered, explicitely directs players to the raptor unlock in New Kaineng City (just a few steps away). I took it more as an introduction to raptors for non-PoF players, just like the intro story of PoF (where you had to jump gaps on your new raptor, too, if I recall it correctly).

I have nerve damage and it took me 2 days to figure this out and then it glitched and I've delivered 12 cannisters and it won't end. This game has screwed me over multiple times and I'm pretty close to just leaving over this one. I have the heart. I delivered the cannisters and the story won't progress. 

I might hate JPs more than any other person in the game but when I read this thread I had to scroll down to see what JP was being discussed because I couldn't think of any JP in the story. Like others said, I would hardly qualify that story step as a JP. It took me a while to figure out exactly what I was supposed to do but there really wasn't much platforming involved.