Opinion: Renegade a missed opportunity.

Dyfinz.2348

For me personally this Elite is a little out of place with the lore, but that's just my opinion.This expansion could have been the opportunity to introduce scythes into the game and instead of some obscure singular legend(again my opinion), they could have made Legend of the Dervish (as a people or old profession, with a legend on a group instead of an individual).It was an opportunity to in a way bring back an awesome profession without creating a new one.Also considering how long Elona was isolated, this legend may have fit better with the lore.Sometimes new new is good, but sometime new old is better.But oh well

Regarding bringing back Dervish, I agree. Maybe there's still hope! We haven't gotten all of Elona yet, (or maybe they went somewhere even more isolated to preserve their profession) and maybe they'll make a return in the story for us to be able to utilize as a learned spec down the road. Perhaps they could even make the whole "Dervish only works for humans" aspect work for other races due to the fact that you channel a human who reveres the gods, meaning you as a charr/asura/norn/salad can also gain their granted abilities.

I generally like Renegade, aside from its thoroughly discussed flaws, but I too would love to see Dervish make a comeback. I'd even be ok if they didn't have all of the weapon skins available for scythe, if it meant getting scythe back. Greatsword honestly wouldn't cut it because scythe is a huge piece of the flavor to Dervish.

tl;dr: please bring back Dervish, even if a little modified. Lore could support. Make it use scythe, not greatsword or staff.

@Ashantara.8731 said:I, too, agree that making the Revenant a stronger melee class would have been preferable to this half-hearted ranged thing we got.

Also, I am all for new weapons :+1: (and new professions as well, but that's a different story as that probably won't happen :/ ).

A condition Renegade with Axe/Mace is very strong DPS, higher than the Revenant/Herald had previously. So we did get a stronger melee Revenant.

For me, the Renegade elite is a bless! Before that, I never achieved to find a way to play that I could enjoy with a Revenant. I kept my toon only because I found her nice, but she was covered with dust since never used. And suddenly, here is an option with a bow and ranged skills! Yeah! What added to my pleasure at it is that I do love the skills. I finally found a way to play Revenant bringing fun to me and she is now active a lot. :)

Now I perfectly understand above posts. It was my understanding that a Revenant should be a melee and I was quite surprise at the new elite allowing to play ranged. For players like me, who do not enjoy much melee, it is nice, but it is true that it is not really in line with original "purpose" of a Revenant.

Um, speak for yourself, I love the new legend. She was actually the reason I made a new revenant character - couldn't wait to try out that new sweet charr legend. :) I love the aesthetics of the spec and the warband, as well. That said, I really wish the shortbow was a stronger weapon so there was a reason to use it. It feels kind of like a toy in the hands of my character, both in size and and function. And let's not even mention the hilariously useless Sevenshot skill.

And yes, the Renegade spec did make for a stronger melee revenant, which is ironic considering the shortbow is obv. ranged. I don't feel like the "purpose" of a revenant has anything to do with being exclusively melee or ranged -- that has nothing to do with the lore of the class, which is just channeling famous ghosts for more power. Even a front-line fighter is often trained in both melee and ranged, to be more well-rounded.

Expecting a new weapon class to be introduced to the game is being overly hopeful, I reckon. If they had any intention of ever adding the scythe as a weapon class, they would have done it with the Reaper already, which is the one elite spec that it would have suited the most. The fact that they introduced the scythe weapon theme into the Reaper Shroud instead speaks volumes.

In any case, if you want to use the aesthetic of a scythe as a melee weapon, you can already do that with some staff skins on the Revenant.

@Torzini.1523 said:Um, speak for yourself, I love the new legend. She was actually the reason I made a new revenant character - couldn't wait to try out that new sweet charr legend. :) I love the aesthetics of the spec and the warband, as well. That said, I really wish the shortbow was a stronger weapon so there was a reason to use it. It feels kind of like a toy in the hands of my character, both in size and and function. And let's not even mention the hilariously useless Sevenshot skill.

And yes, the Renegade spec did make for a stronger melee revenant, which is ironic considering the shortbow is obv. ranged. I don't feel like the "purpose" of a revenant has anything to do with being exclusively melee or ranged -- that has nothing to do with the lore of the class, which is just channeling famous ghosts for more power. Even a front-line fighter is often trained in both melee and ranged, to be more well-rounded.

I did speak for myself, see where it says my opinion

@Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:Expecting a new weapon class to be introduced to the game is being overly hopeful, I reckon. If they had any intention of ever adding the scythe as a weapon class, they would have done it with the Reaper already, which is the one elite spec that it would have suited the most. The fact that they introduced the scythe weapon theme into the Reaper Shroud instead speaks volumes.

In any case, if you want to use the aesthetic of a scythe as a melee weapon, you can already do that with some staff skins on the Revenant.

No, not aesthetics. Mechanics. Reaper should have got a scythe instead of great sword, sure.

@Dyfinz.2348 said:

@Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:Expecting a new weapon class to be introduced to the game is being overly hopeful, I reckon. If they had any intention of ever adding the scythe as a weapon class, they would have done it with the Reaper already, which is the one elite spec that it would have suited the most. The fact that they introduced the scythe weapon theme into the Reaper Shroud instead speaks volumes.

No, not aesthetics. Mechanics. Reaper should have got a scythe instead of great sword, sure.

I'm just suggesting the next best alternative, because I'm very certain new weapon classes being added is just not going to happen. At best I can see some underwater weapons being incorporated for land-based combat as weapons for elite specializations, but not much more than that.

Renegade to me is an all around MEHNot because its a bad spec. It works well enough and gives a semi decent PVE dps build which was badly needed for rev but everything else about it feels uninspired.The legend isn't desert themed at all which was a let down considering the amount of lore pof builds on. The shortbow is meh and has no cohesion between skills. The utilities are boring, they all do the same thing mechanically. I was hoping for a minion master type legend, even just visually, where ghostly char follow you so it actually feels like you have a warband at your side. Currently the warband is just a flashy spell effect.

Its still better than deadeye though and could have been alot worst so I am ok with it. I just with rev would get abit more development time.

Archived