Region restrictions

I would like to know when the option to transition regions and play with friends on other continents will be added again..

I am baffled that we were able to guest visit NA from Europe and vice versa in the past but now there is no such option and yet but can still chat, join guilds and squads from different continent and yet we can't see or play together with others.

Any plans for adding this feature again ANet?

Edited by Sethorus.9231
  • Confused 2

The original announcement of guesting specifically states that it's only available within your region:
"Because (different from a world transfer) we are not moving your character between data centers, you may only guest on worlds in the same region as your home world. Players on North American home worlds cannot guest on European worlds or vice versa."

I couldn't find any mention of guesting in the announcements for the megaserver system (which was part of the April 2014 Feature Pack) but the Wiki page at the time still listed the regional restriction on guesting. The only exception is a short time when the entire section on guesting was removed, presumably because someone thought it wasn't needed any more, but both before and after it said guesting was only within your region.

I can't find any mention of a time when it was possible to guest from an EU server to an NA one or vice versa, and the statement from Anet when they first introduced it that it would involve moving your character data to the other region makes it sound like it's not something which is possible.

You can transfer from one region to the other but that costs gems and I'm told it can take 30 minutes or so to actually go through (I haven't done it since the first week, so I don't remember). But the nearest I can find to cross-region guesting is the short time after launch when transfers were free so you could just transfer to the other region and then transfer back when you were done.

2 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yea Inculpatus cedo.9234 is correct you are remembering the free server transfer feature that was there afew weeks after release OP

Which wasn't really a feature. It was a temporary thing because something(don't remember what that something was) else wasn't working at the time. It originally had no restrictions but of course we can't have nice things so some people decided to abuse it. After which it was restricted to once a week.