Jade bot is super underwhelming

Idk, I was kinda hoping we will get an actual follower companion that we could take control over and do stuff with. Instead we just got a gimmick gathering tool with some extra passives. Also was hoping for a third person mode and more ability to free fly, but seems like this was also just a gimmick created for whole 2 story instances. With skins and everything to let us make it look fabulous. Instead we got... yeah, that. What a waste.

Edited by rune.9572
  • Like 18
  • Confused 5

overall i like our little jade buddy. the masteries are also improving the use of the jade bot too, making it easier to use and more fun to use as well as giving use unique abilities (like an instant get up from being downed mechanic).

hate the battery part though. wild that they limited the scope of the game like that.

• Like 4

I think the mastery in general is far more convoluted than it needs to be. The workstation, the different terminals you have to use to trigger some specific functionality, the batteries, the modules, the cores that are character-specific. 

I'm assuming it was made this way intentionally and I'm sure the reasoning would be "immersion" but to me it just feels like some horrid system Blizzard would implement to micro-manage players' time. 

I appreciate the creativity and challenge that went into coding this and I'm sure some might find it to be an immersive and fun new experience but the battery requirement is not only causing (if we're discussing immersion) a distaste for me personally. 

I'm sure things will improve as masteries get completed but I haven't been too keen on getting cores on my other characters yet as they're 40 gold or tied to the story, and the first few acts of the story for me just felt really dull. I think the free core and jade bot tutorial would have been much better served in the first act as soon as you reach Shing Jea, especially given how much jade tech is incorporated into the island. 

• Like 14

3 hours ago, castlemanic.3198 said:

overall i like our little jade buddy. the masteries are also improving the use of the jade bot too, making it easier to use and more fun to use as well as giving use unique abilities (like an instant get up from being downed mechanic).

hate the battery part though. wild that they limited the scope of the game like that.

At the very least the batteries should

• Persist their charges through maps/instances (maybe leave story instances out of this because of balancing reasons)
  • Waypoints should persist forever, until you replace them. Maybe it's a bug, but mine disappears frequently (on logging out?)
  • Increase the amount of battery charges hold and gained to 8-4 instead of 4-2.
Edited by Angelissa.8409
  • Like 9

I only have too small gripes with the system

the first being that we don't have a workbench in the major towns I have alts who are not ready to go to Cantha but should still be able to get a jade buddy but that is a moot point with issue 2 the lack of charges elsewhere in the game make jade bot useless in the other areas of the game.

Ironically the Fishing rod just like Jade bot is not a Account tied thing like it is with any other mastery item so no taking your Level ones out for a fishing trip in Metrica Provence.

Edited by dusanyu.4057
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Angelissa.8409 said:

• Persist their charges through maps/instances (maybe leave story instances out of this because of balancing reasons)
  • Waypoints should persist forever, until you replace them. Maybe it's a bug, but mine disappears frequently (on logging out?)

it vanishes when you switch map so loging out count as you leaving the map yea.

4 hours ago, Angelissa.8409 said:

The term Waypoints in the name can be a bit misleading, if you expect them to last forever like regular waypoints.  Don't look at it as a waypoint, so much as it is a portal.  Because it's a 1 time use on a cooldown, it has far more in common with a portal than a waypoint.  

• Like 2

It hadn't occurred to me that my alts can't actually use the Jade Bot, despite the Mastery, because of the equipment. That definitely needs to be addressed, as it largely offsets the main point of Mastery to begin with and what I like so much about it.

I hadn't even thought of the lack of batteries in zones outside of Cantha. However, when I first got the Jade Bot a Mastery came into my head. As it's not actually in the game, but could solve this problem, I've going to suggest it here:

Solar Panels: The Jade Bot slowly gains charge up to its maximum over time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

According to the launch stream, they wanted to make it a companion, but the engineering team didn't like the idea of effectively doubling the amount of players, so it operates as a simple skill effect. Not sure if they were thinking of a combat companion that everyone would need to see, or didn't consider client-side companions like the story NPCs.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Healix.5819 said:

According to the launch stream, they wanted to make it a companion, but the engineering team didn't like the idea of effectively doubling the amount of players, so it operates as a simple skill effect. Not sure if they were thinking of a combat companion that everyone would need to see, or didn't consider client-side companions like the story NPCs.

They should have made it mutually exclusive to mini-pets. Either jade bot or mini-pet, not both. It could have been classified as a (new class of) mini-pet.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Healix.5819 said:

According to the launch stream, they wanted to make it a companion, but the engineering team didn't like the idea of effectively doubling the amount of players

What if I told you they specifically made a completely new follower AI for Conflux (Conflux! I suspect it was for the bot. I even remember how for a week it would bug out underwater) so they could have added the bot following you in exactly the same way?

I mean let's face it, we already have floating follower orbs. Also as seen in WvW maps are fine with 100 people around and the servers only start lagging at 120-150 ish. If it bothers them so much they can make the AI clientside and just display a static following "orb but a bot" for everyone else.

Edited by rune.9572
  • Like 2

I mean, it's a pretty novel mastery, I like it. Myb they'll improve it with LW.

Not having the same upgrades on other characters is a total pita tho.
Wanted to do stuff with a different character and realized I can't do basic stuff on map - changed back to main after 5 minutes. 

On 3/4/2022 at 1:47 AM, Jokubas.4265 said:

It hadn't occurred to me that my alts can't actually use the Jade Bot, despite the Mastery, because of the equipment. That definitely needs to be addressed, as it largely offsets the main point of Mastery to begin with and what I like so much about it.

I hadn't even thought of the lack of batteries in zones outside of Cantha. However, when I first got the Jade Bot a Mastery came into my head. As it's not actually in the game, but could solve this problem, I've going to suggest it here:

Yep, as soon as I saw it needed batteries, I knew it was trash bot. 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 11:35 PM, dusanyu.4057 said:

I only have too small gripes with the system

the first being that we don't have a workbench in the major towns I have alts who are not ready to go to Cantha but should still be able to get a jade buddy but that is a moot point with issue 2 the lack of charges elsewhere in the game make jade bot useless in the other areas of the game.

Ironically the Fishing rod just like Jade bot is not a Account tied thing like it is with any other mastery item so no taking your Level ones out for a fishing trip in Metrica Provence.

Btw, for 6g and 300 research nodes you can add a workbench to any guild hall for your alts.

On 3/4/2022 at 1:47 AM, Jokubas.4265 said:

Yep, as soon as I saw it needed batteries, I knew it was trash bot. 

3 minutes ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

Btw, for 6g and 300 research nodes you can add a workbench to any guild hall for your alts.

Needing work bench to craft is last century. So sick of having to use one. Should be able to just craft on the go. Upgrade on the go. There is nothing immersive about having to waste time travelling back or looking for a station when games like this, especially GW2 loves to time gate every chance they get. 

• Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Hannelore.8153 said:

They should also have one for the home instances and all lounges. The whole recharge thing needs to be redone. The implementation of the charging system is horrible. As I commented before, recharging needs to be accumulative into the wallet and farmed much like we do with LWS3 & 4 magic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To be honest; I do like my lil guy. Fits right in with my mechanist theme. 

But I do have to admit, the upgrades are 'okay' at best. Currently using the Trophies one and Glider boost, Glider boost is fun and pretty satisfying to use etc. But straying away from passive upgrades, the actual gameplay of the jades I just haven't cared of at all. 

The only thing I've actually used the jade bot for is the damage and defence buffs for Dragon's end. Apart from that, literally 0 map interaction. 

A few Teleports in echovald, that's literally it. I was REALLY hoping for a "Drone" mode for it, where we could just go into it anywhere to scope out the area and take stunning screenshots. CAN YOU IMAGINE THE SCREENSHOTS?!?!?!?!?

• Like 2

What it should have been is something like the Mini pets, where if there is too many people on the map it turns off. Also have the ability to toggle it on and off.

Or, depending on how the engine lets them get away with it. Make it so only you can see your Own bot.

• Like 1