What is next ? (Story)

Fivona.5061

On 3/4/2022 at 7:38 PM, Fang.8291 said:

The Deep

The potential. 

I feel as if Demons are a great thing to explore more. Deimos' design was nothing short of spectacular, I'd love to hear some tidbits related to Kanaxai, and I'd love a more tangible return to the darker side of the mists, ala Realm of Torment. We never even heard anything else about Arachnia from back in Nightfall days in Guild Wars 1 (which isn't actually canon, yet).

GuildWars 2's team has done an amazing job of pushing some creepier elements. Living World Season 2 was proof of this.

• Like 5

On 3/4/2022 at 5:06 PM, ugrakarma.9416 said:

theres no Next, EoD its the end of GW2.

u didnt notice the "good bye" credit ending?

anet on almost all streams: this is not the end of gw2, we want to continue the story

every pleb and their 3 legged hamster: ok, thats it, roll credits, close the curtain!

what is up with you doomer

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Scavarius.6059 said:

anet on almost all streams: this is not the end of gw2, we want to continue the story

every pleb and their 3 legged hamster: ok, thats it, roll credits, close the curtain!

what is up with you doomer

i just cant resist a joke with that name lmao.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 6:23 PM, HotDelirium.7984 said:

Great One, do you know why there was no hint at what comes next? Is that a lore dilemma due to the required planning stages of either more Living World/Expansions while balancing the after effects of the current story i.e. not wanting to always have world ending threats create battle fatigue vs giving the characters a friggin moment to have peace and relax and let the expansion be self-contained? Apologies for the brain vomit.

I obviously don't work for ANet, but I do work in the industry. My guess (this is just a guess for the sake of discussion) is that when they planned out the story for EOD, they weren't sure how it was going to sell/be received, and they left it at a spot where if things didn't go well financially, they could leave the story and it would be complete. But, now that it seems to have gone at least ok (maybe it sold better than they'd wanted, I have no idea), then they're comfortable saying that there will be more without actually saying what that more is.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

I could also see LW6 involving Aurene’s handling of her new role as the sole balancer/filter of magic. Perhaps she’ll seek out other beings worthy and able to share the burden with her, though I suppose we’d need reassurances that she wouldn’t just be repeating Soo-Won’s mistakes.

On 3/4/2022 at 1:08 PM, Hannelore.8153 said:

The Void may exist in other forms. This is heavily hinted at throughout Tyrian history (and especially in Fractals), though unconfirmed. It may not need the dragons to enter our world, they just provided the most convenient conduit. And void energy will always exist within magic (and thus life itself), and something we'll have to deal with on an ongoing basis.

I'm curious about that as well, when I was map completing Dragons End I noticed that below the Jade Sea the entire area is completely contaminated with Void.
If you swim in the water there you will die, if you submerge in a skimmer you will start taking damage.

I would not be surprised if a large quantity of void magic is now trapped within the Jade Sea, possibly in some dormant state until it is released later on either by Human tampering or something else.
Maybe the Canthans will even manage to harness it.

Part of me is also wondering if Kanaxai was actually a product of the Void back in Gw1 as well or a creature partially corrupted by a significantly weaker form of it.. his Origins were never explained and even his design is unusual, with more than half of his body being black with odd markings that are not present on his more natural looking body, he very much does look like a being that is partially corrupted by something.

Other creatures in Gw2 that were corrupted by the void also had this blacked over corrupted appearance. 
If the Jade Sea is some kind of magnet, trap or catalyst for Void magic (which we kinda know it is now thanks to Dragon Jade) then maybe that's what they tapped into when the Luxons dug too deep into the Jade.
After all the Void is described as raw magic and chaos incarnate.. and Kanazxai did have the ability to drive mortals mad.
Madness and confusion are characteristics of chaos if i'm not mistaken.

This void problem goes back a long time as well, the source of Elder Dragon corruption and the chaos they unleashed on the world time and time again.
So it's certainly plausible that it could have been lingering in the depths of the world all along like most magic, and with the petrification of the Jade sea, hundreds of years ago it could have been slowly building up down there over time.
After all the Jade Sea itself is the result of corrupted god magic being unleashed on the world as well.

Massive mass of magical jade created by corrupted magic, capable of being infused with Elder Dragon magic which in itself is imperfectly purified Void magic and also vulnerable to corruption.
It's like the perfect location really for the void to pool and eventually manifest itself on Tyria.

So Kanaxai being a creature partially corrupted by a weaker form of the void who happens to live in the depths of the Jade sea does seem like a pretty plausible theory to me.

Edited by Teratus.2859

In addendum, re-releasing the raids as a Living World release could work? If we have easy mode strikes (during the story) why not the old raids. If we got mannequin I hope we can get those as well. There is a ton of lore in those raid wings.

Edited by HotDelirium.7984
  • Like 2

RACE WARS

One time aurene and commander would have disappeared into the mists, for some reason.

The purists mindset will travel outside cantha, which some hotheaded chars take seriously. Sylvaris will be hated for Scarlet's doings (i.e., modermoth's corruption), a new fraction of chars will want to take back lands that humans "stole" from them. Canthans will spread a rumour in tyrian humans that a asura was responsible for soo-won's "flip" to bad side, which would make some humans hate asuras . Norms will be fighting for peace of all fractions, but they would take a heavy blow from chars,humans and even asuras, which causes some of them to hate other races. Also taimi would have been killed by a purist, which would make gorrik leave dragons watch, kas would be killed by a char (before her marriage day, as she's an important politic figure) which would make her partner angry over this war and aid humans against char's invasion, which makes her leave dragons watch. Cerci, braham and cathie would have left to bring back the commander. Rytlock left to try and put a stop to this war (where he would have been assaassinated and his death pinned on majory to stew more hate on humans).

When Aurene and the commander returns after 200 years, they see the aftermath of the first race war, but that wasnt all, a new enemy emerges who the commander has to stop, but can't since they have to solve the race issues first.

And seeing all their friends got killed by this stupid race war, their friends who put their life on the line to fight for peace in tyria, the commander and aurene goes all GoT S08 on tyria. 😂😂

• Confused 3

There's been a few hints of potential plots for future focus.

The most long-standing one is, of course, Lyssa. Whether or not this includes the other gods is up for grabs, but the devs stated the gods' story isn't over after Path of Fire, and both Path of Fire and the Legendary Armory hint at Lyssa's potential return.

End of Dragons also makes several hints at future developments:

• Spread, and renovation of, Jadetech into other lands (including Jade Brotherhood expanded adventures); additionally many Canthans have expressed wanting to see the world now that borders re-opened, the only-enough-screentime-to-merit-token-inclusion non-binary Yao among them.
  • Raisu Palace 'risen nest' becoming an issue.
  • Purists being up to bigger tricks, possibly (from what I heard, hadn't seen it myself) there's even hints that they may be involved in the Raisu Palace scenario.
  • Echovald gang wars escalating as the truce dies out (these + Purists could easily result in something of a... guild war... in Cantha).

That's just going into the hints in the main story - I am doubtful that "something else in the ocean depths" will be a plot, at least in of itself. And then there's some remnant loose threads from Heart of Thorns, Season 4, and Icebrood Saga:

• Kuda and the Inquest remain at large, given that Raisu Palace is perhaps the last bastion of dragon magic now, they may be interested in that and jadetech.
  • Duchess Chrysanthea and the Nightmare Court's recovery - we still don't know what the Dream and Nightmare are, and so long as the Nightmare exists, so too will the Nightmare Court, in some fashion.
  • Sunrise Crest remains a mystery, showcased in the Priory's world map with what seems to be trade routes. The in-game map with EoD expanded to tease its existence to all players, despite no need to show off that far west.
  • The centaur plot that was planned for IBS, but dropped. ArenaNet said they wanted to "save it for later", unlike the others.

Anything beyond those, IMHO, are too minor to really be a plot point, or something the devs of S4->EoD didn't care enough about to properly foreshadow (new writers, though, new interests). At most they'll tie together with other, bigger, threads. However, aside from Lyssa / return of the gods, there's no big storyline hinted at among these, unless that "something else in the ocean depths" (which may have tied into the shipwreck shot in the IBS trailer - another dropped thread from it being gutted when EoD was "blessed" upon the devs) ends up being the big clue after all.

On 3/4/2022 at 6:08 AM, Hannelore.8153 said:

SPOILERS FOR PATH OF FIRE, LWS4 AND END OF D RAGONS

We'll most likely be dealing with the aftermath in Cantha, especially their energy crisis.

The continued existence of the Pact will likely become a political plot point.

Similar to Elona, I'm honestly not really sure we'll be dealing with Cantha's aftermath, and most certainly not the politics of things; not unless that aftermath is something big ala Joko.

The Nightmare Court, Sons of Svanir and Ascalonian Ghosts storylines were partially dealt with but still unresolved. Only the Flame Legion and White Mantle storylines have something of an ending so far. There's probably others I'm forgetting, too.

The Sons of Svanir were established as being wiped out with the end of IBS: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dragon_Bash/Festival_content#At_Might_and_Main_2

The Inquest are still out there, with Kuda leading them.

Kuda isnt' their leader - she was just head of that one division. We still do not know who leads the Inquest, whether it's one individual or many. Some people believe it to be High Inquisitor Maut, an Inquest-looking miniature and ascended trinket are named after him, but he's never seen or otherwise heard of...

On 3/5/2022 at 7:19 PM, Ranael.6423 said:

Not sure if this is just a weird translation nor if this could be a plot for future but the last words of Soo-Won in the FR version is "I return to the Dream".

It left me puzzled in regard of the origin of the Dream itself as the positive matter Vs the negative one (the Void).

I don't recall the exact wording, but Soo-Won did mention dreaming again.

Don't think it was capitalized, however.

On 3/5/2022 at 9:07 PM, Imba.9451 said:

I still consider a comeback of the Mursaat as possible, considering Lazarus was only the last remaining Mursaat that shifted into Tyria during the events of GW1. There is still a possibility that alot more Mursaat are still phased out, waiting. And now, with the primary reason for them to chicken out in the first place is gone (same for the gods btw), they could reappear.

Although I consider a return of the Mursaat way less likely than the gods, even though my fanboy-brain wished for it to happen.

PS: Mursaat playable race and I'll delet and recreate every of my characters as Mursaat. Promise.

Baring retroactive continuity, the Eye of Janthir disintegrated because the mursaat species went extinct - it had no more masters to follow so it followed them to death.

On 3/5/2022 at 9:58 PM, vectorfox.6894 said:

The dream is just the mists right?

Does bring up an interesting thought though about where elder dragons go since mortals have things like the underworld and dragons being more than animals or forces of nature and now being closer to what is just a juiced up sapient dragon. Do they go to the mists or just dissipate into magic?

We do not know what the Dream is. All it's called is "made of magic, aether, and memories" and is said to be a mindscape - with Rytlock saying he had enough with mindscapes from his travels in the Mists.

Nothing outright defines what it is though, and certainly not saying it is the Mists. In all honesty, its design is more reminiscent of the 'visionscapes' that we witness in EoD.

As for dragon souls... Glint went to the afterlife in the Mists, so the others likely did too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Teratus.2859 said:

I'm curious about that as well, when I was map completing Dragons End I noticed that below the Jade Sea the entire area is completely contaminated with Void.
If you swim in the water there you will die, if you submerge in a skimmer you will start taking damage.

I would not be surprised if a large quantity of void magic is now trapped within the Jade Sea, possibly in some dormant state until it is released later on either by Human tampering or something else.
Maybe the Canthans will even manage to harness it.

Part of me is also wondering if Kanaxai was actually a product of the Void back in Gw1 as well or a creature partially corrupted by a significantly weaker form of it.. his Origins were never explained and even his design is unusual, with more than half of his body being black with odd markings that are not present on his more natural looking body, he very much does look like a being that is partially corrupted by something.

Other creatures in Gw2 that were corrupted by the void also had this blacked over corrupted appearance. 
If the Jade Sea is some kind of magnet, trap or catalyst for Void magic (which we kinda know it is now thanks to Dragon Jade) then maybe that's what they tapped into when the Luxons dug too deep into the Jade.
After all the Void is described as raw magic and chaos incarnate.. and Kanazxai did have the ability to drive mortals mad.
Madness and confusion are characteristics of chaos if i'm not mistaken.

This void problem goes back a long time as well, the source of Elder Dragon corruption and the chaos they unleashed on the world time and time again.
So it's certainly plausible that it could have been lingering in the depths of the world all along like most magic, and with the petrification of the Jade sea, hundreds of years ago it could have been slowly building up down there over time.
After all the Jade Sea itself is the result of corrupted god magic being unleashed on the world as well.

Massive mass of magical jade created by corrupted magic, capable of being infused with Elder Dragon magic which in itself is imperfectly purified Void magic and also vulnerable to corruption.
It's like the perfect location really for the void to pool and eventually manifest itself on Tyria.

So Kanaxai being a creature partially corrupted by a weaker form of the void who happens to live in the depths of the Jade sea does seem like a pretty plausible theory to me.

The purpose of the final meta and story instance was to pull the Void out of not just Soo-Won, but the surroundings as well. The Void's presence in the Jade Sea was caused by Soo-Won fleeing there after the reactor's destruction.

Kanaxai was a Nightmare Demon, similar to how those serving Abaddon in Nightfall were Torment Demons, and all demons originate from the Mists or are transformed into such. While there's no explicit origin established, one isn't really needed. A demon is a demon. He also predates the Jade Sea being jade - it was water when he was around originally, and got trapped in the Jade Wind's solidifying act. So even if the Jade Sea's jade was acting as a magnet for Void before Soo-Won showed up (which shouldn't be the case), then it wouldn't have been so when Kanaxai was first around because it was just normal water then.

36 minutes ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Baring retroactive continuity, the Eye of Janthir disintegrated because the mursaat species went extinct - it had no more masters to follow so it followed them to death.

I still can see (and personally would love) an expedition to Janthir taking place, especially now that the Mursaat are gone. Who exactly were the mythical inhabitants of the islands gifted with True Sight and what happened to them? Are there more artifacts similar to Eye of Janthir that simply didn't make it out to mainland Tyria? Could it be that some of the Mursaat still are shifted from our reality and bide their time there? Maybe it's the homeland of Samarog-like creatures?

That_shaman's datamined version of Tyria's map is again larger than what is currently visible in-game and surprisingly, Janthir seems to not only be the dark and desolate looking island we know, but there is apparently a whole archipelago of Janthir Isles up north.

I must also admit that it's really curious for me that the Durmand Priory did not have any interest in place so ripe with potential artifacts and lore.

1 hour ago, Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Honestly, I think there is enough vagueness in it to interpret it as "All the Mursat who phased back into Tyria are dead", wich leaves room for more to be in the mists.

I mean, I know I am grasping at straws here, I just wish Anet wouldn't just kill off everything "old" from this game and it`s story. A habit that has, once again, shown in Mai Trin. And to a further extend with the Luxon and Kurzick, wich is weird, because they somehow went for a light-version of this rivalry with the speakers and the Jade brotherhood.

• Like 1

For me, the return of the gods as big ally our ennemy seems logicial.

I mean okay, we got "new ennemy" or kind of with the new extension, but as heroes, we need always something "big".

And the gods (specially Dwayna) bring humanity on Tyria. Since the dragons are dead, i can't imagine them staying in their "world" and not coming back.

The other way, our "new" ennemy could come from somewhere "else" too since Dwayna bring humanity "from elsewhere". (from lore and wiki gw 2)

The gods (in particular Dwayna) brought humanity with them to Tyria from elsewhere.

Maybe Dhuum too...

So for me, return of the gods or/and new ennemy from "elsewhere" since Dragons (all dead except aurene)  and Gods are "the main thing" from Guild Wars and Guild wars 2.

Edited by Valaraukar.7652

Haven't played the full story yet (almost finished tough - end fight later ... the last 1-2 story missions). But: I think this felt pretty fast/rushed again. Introducing a dragon. And quickly dealing with it.

Zhaitan (long core personal story with choices and slow progress through orr) and Mordremoth (whole season 2 leading to this) ... were the best I think.

I'd prefer some slowly developing stuff on older maps (like S2) ... mixed with opening of new areas - Cantha has still unexplored regions. More of a slow buildup. Political. And people as bosses. An interesting story over different chapters and stuff. Not just a "introduce a super strong creature and somehow get a weapon do deal with it - then gather the allies and beat it" plot like you usually had in the past.

Edited by Luthan.5236

8 hours ago, Luthan.5236 said:

Haven't played the full story yet (almost finished tough - end fight later ... the last 1-2 story missions). But: I think this felt pretty fast/rushed again. Introducing a dragon. And quickly dealing with it.

Zhaitan (long core personal story with choices and slow progress through orr) and Mordremoth (whole season 2 leading to this) ... were the best I think.

I'd prefer some slowly developing stuff on older maps (like S2) ... mixed with opening of new areas - Cantha has still unexplored regions. More of a slow buildup. Political. And people as bosses. An interesting story over different chapters and stuff. Not just a "introduce a super strong creature and somehow get a weapon do deal with it - then gather the allies and beat it" plot like you usually had in the past.

I don't think End of Dragons really could have been done well drawn out. I do think that Act 4 was pointless though - it was very much a rushed "let's wrap up these plot threads" kind of act, which is funny given whenever ArenaNet cuts out a storyline, it's because they "can't do it justice", and that's exactly what the Act 4 strike boss was - just like the non-Braham/Rytlock DRMs were (and even some of those *coughOwlcough*).

With the direction of the plot, the only real way to extend it would be to give Act 4 and the Purists more fluff and screentime, and turn the open world metas into part of the main story as they are very, very much relevant to the main plot. Otherwise, it'd just be ending with the Act 2/Act 3 as the main climax, and giving a very PoF-like ending. Which very much wouldn't do given hwo people reacted last time.

Not to mention that by being "gifted" the "opportunity" to do End of Dragons by the higher ups, they couldn't give it a LW season build up. The only way to not have the expansion a fast-paced plot of "introduce and kill the main enemy in the same expansion" would be if IBS's second half was made the expansion instead of being turned into Champions, and expac 3 was, idk "Depths of Destruction" or something instead.

Which is to say, I think the issue with the fast pacing of EoD is because of development issues beyond the writers' control, and for the situation they were given it's was done very well. Despite how bandwagon theory focused it was.

• Like 7

On 3/6/2022 at 11:59 AM, Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

Honestly there's quite a bit I could see happening after EoD

• LWS6 that expands on Cantha like LWS4 did for Elona, giving us more Jade Brotherhood, Speaker, and Purist content, dealing with the inevitable energy crisis the Empire will be facing, and finding out what the horrors in the deep are/what exactly Soo-Won was keeping contained down there before she went to Cantha.
  • LWS7 that goes back to central Tyria to clean up the unresolved plot lines(Centaurs, Malyck, Ghosts of Ascalon, Wizard's Tower, Inquest), while setting up expansion 4.
  • Xpack 4: "Dark of the Mists" dealing with deep Mists stuff like ancient gods, and possibly whatever destroyed the original human homeworld making its way to Tyira ala a Burning Legion like army of Mist demons or something. And tying up the god plot.
  • LWS8 that expands upon the Xpack 4 region, and ties up whatever loose narrative threads are there.

They easily have enough story content for another 5 years should they pursue it.

And that’s JUST from stuff they have set up now, writers can always pull new stuff from nowhere. The world is big enough to hold dozens of expansions.  Also you throw a LOT under the ‘bundle up loose ends’ seasons, any one of them could balloon into something bigger that becomes a full expansion 

On 3/6/2022 at 7:43 AM, Zola.6197 said:

There weren't really any hints after S4 going into Icebrood Saga either. A lot of people thought GW2 was over then, too. I feel like there are a lot of instances where we had no immediate hint for what comes next, though obviously we used to have more dragons to fall back on.

Most likely we'll see LW6 and examine the fallout from the events of EoDs, in particular the energy crisis in the absence of what was powering the dragon jade. A few characters discuss it (I think Taimi and Joon). The news holograms mentioned reclaiming Raisu Palace from the Risen, as well as Empress Ihn setting up a meeting with Queen Jennah to establish relations. There are several little hints about whatever mysterious force pushed the quaggan, krait, and other oceanic races out. Apparently it's not who/what we thought it was, so that's another potential thread. Perhaps helping Kuunavang find more surviving saltspray dragons. So I'm pretty sure the immediate way forward is mopping up things in Cantha.

Otherwise there are some loose threads that can be tied up for several races back in Tyria. The mists are also primed for story material. The human gods returning now that the reason they left is no more. Aurene handling her new role. Discovering what the Dream and Nightmare are. Does the nightmare court still exist? Are there other sylvari trees? Cleansing the ghosts from Ascalon. Charr choosing a new Khan-Ur (or not). Asura and Norn reclaiming their ancestral homelands. Peace with the centaurs. Where the heck is Zojja??

Judging from in-game dialogue at Old Kaineng as well as the "Secured Gate" positioning at Seitung, we're likely getting Sunqua Vale / Mountain / Province as one of the next areas, accompanied by ruins of the Raisu Palace.
There's plenty of Jade Sea to go around, with potential to refresh the good ol' "they dug too deep IN THE DEEP" -plot thread, and delve into Canthan demons' origins.

So, in short:
- unchained risen

- demons

- ??? (Yeti?)

as antagonists.

based solely on details of the fogged (or uncovered) map plus the "door" in Seitung province:

the next zones i can see coming in Living World are: (in no particular story order)

1) the west half of Shing Jae Island

2) North Old Kaineng City (including Raisu Palace) (the detailed area could be one super large zone or 2 smaller zones)

3) Wona's Estate (Togo's Story mini-mission from GW1 bonus mission pack) in mountains SE of Echovald Forest. (but this area is small)

and less likely 

4) the coast NW of Wona's Estate, only because there's more detail in the fog-drawing (but this could be part of a super-large area including Wona's Estate)

5) an area of Jade Sea north of the DE (it's half the size of DE or smaller, the detailed area)

6) the islands (archipeligo?) NE of Cantha, about halfway to Elona.

As for story? well, y'all have mentioned some interesting speculations, so i won't add  any of my own speculations. Besides, if they don't run with some obscure comment to lead into the next storyline, they'll probably just introduce us to something new. the only real info we have for future events is

Spoiler

a wedding.

Edited by Forgotten Legend.9281
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2022 at 3:54 PM, dusanyu.4057 said:

next living world  i have a couple ideas

1. jade brotherhood / Singers Stuff 

2. desolving of the pact and trying to stop the three orders, and the humans and charr from going back to there old wars and bickering (i expect this to be more of a current events thing)

3 I bet my Ears that the Inquest is going to be interested in jade tech.

4 delving into Luxon /Kurzick

Next Expack if it happens

5 human Gods and original human home world with a large smattering of Xotecha

The flavor text on Vision that is shown on the wiki strongly suggests that the human gods might be very angry about us killing balthazar especially Lyssa. I can't imagine they're very content that people are running around who have been able to slay a god and 6 elder dragons nor that the humans are very happy that their gods up and left when they needed them the most.

• Thanks 1