Invigorating precision nerf made it useless

Sentinel VX.1392

On 3/24/2022 at 4:57 AM, Sentinel VX.1392 said:

It only provides better self sustain against attack that doesn't kill you(e.g. mob auto attack) and not better defense as if tough mob or boss do high damage attack you will get one shot regardless how fast you heal from IP if you don't have high enough toughness or vitality.

So in essence you are practically still squishy even with IP if you are not careful but you have better self sustain since you can't just dodge all the mobs frequent auto attack and the likes.

This. The trait enabled thief to do what other classes actually do on a regular basis: tank trash mobs. There was absolutely no issue regarding bosses, because you still had to dodge all of the key attacks if you wanted to solo 'em successfully. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kuma.1503 said:

The nerf was definitely too severe. "Just dodge" sounds good in theory, but for melee builds, some enemies just deal too much damage with their auto attacks for you to sustain through. It should be 10% healing with fury at least. 

Yep. Consider that i.e. mirage can actually dodge without losing out on DPS. Well, thief can't. 

skipped most of what was written.

Just came to say that I've never used invigorating precision and I can solo everything quite well (I don't solo dungeons, fractals, or raids).  

My survivability with thief comes from evades for one build, or great positioning supplemented with stealth for my deadeye.  Face tanking and using invigorating precision is not really a good way to play thief, as you don't use the kit to it's fullest potential.  Thief doesn't wade into the fight and stay there, unless you have an evasion heavy build.  Thief is about bursting down targets from all the different angles, and not taking hits to begin with.  

In short, invigorating precision was a crutch for players more used to guardian and warrior that incentivized bad habits.  Those who can't survive without it need to relearn how to use thief.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Rogue.8235 said:

Just came to say that I've never used invigorating precision and I can solo everything quite well (I don't solo dungeons, fractals, or raids).  

My survivability with thief comes from evades for one build,

Very nice. Come back when you've soloed every legendary bounty there is, as well as some fracs and high-end event bosses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rogue.8235 said:

skipped most of what was written.

My survivability with thief comes from evades for one build, or great positioning supplemented with stealth for my deadeye.  Face tanking and using invigorating precision is not really a good way to play thief, as you don't use the kit to it's fullest potential.  Thief doesn't wade into the fight and stay there, unless you have an evasion heavy build.  Thief is about bursting down targets from all the different angles, and not taking hits to begin with.  

In short, invigorating precision was a crutch for players more used to guardian and warrior that incentivized bad habits.  Those who can't survive without it need to relearn how to use thief.

I didn't use it either but I normally do have multiple forms of life steal, leech, siphon from modified utility like Interrupts or on crit. Replenishing health at pace with damage received even if not as strong as the damage lets you deal damage without a lot of stop and go action. I don't spend a lot of time on the pve maps but I consider mob kill and map clear rates when I plan to. I want to be able to stay up while clearing mobs and bonus if I can kill, even slowly while moving. 

Just logged my Thief and was kinda shocked. This PvE-only nerf (PvP and WvW still have 10%/20% for whatever reason) pretty much removes all QoL Open World  Power Builds for Thieves and it leaves the grand master tier of "Critical Strikes" with exactly one viable option, i. e. "No Quarter".

The only explanation I have for this drastic change is "Hard-selling Specter for Open World content" or rather EoD Elite Specializations in general, e. g. Mechanist which is insanely OP in Open World content.

The game update notes give no reason, why this had to be changed, nor does it say it was PvE-only. And finally, why make such drastic changes, when it's true that you are planning to "balance" more frequently?

Edited by xlion.3065
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, kash.9213 said:

I didn't use it either but I normally do have multiple forms of life steal, leech, siphon from modified utility like Interrupts or on crit. Replenishing health at pace with damage received even if not as strong as the damage lets you deal damage without a lot of stop and go action. I don't spend a lot of time on the pve maps but I consider mob kill and map clear rates when I plan to. I want to be able to stay up while clearing mobs and bonus if I can kill, even slowly while moving. 

Yeah yeah yeah, we get it. This didn't affect casual content, because everyone and their mother obviously uses No Quarter there.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2