Arena has ruined the casters

17 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

And you would achive that how? since all elite specs can use any of the core lines.

I think the obvious answer is to add perks that you lose when you take an elite spec.  That could include adding a set of core utilities, perhaps by adding an extra core-only utility to each already existing core utility group.  Maybe a new core-specific F-skill. Perhaps some synergistic perks based upon which trait lines you choose, but requiring that you have 3 core trait lines selected (e.g. if you take fire/air/arcane on ele you get X perk, fire/air/water would have Y perk, etc.).

• Confused 2

I tried scepter the past two days to get the "mage/wizard" feel and it's not terrible. The biggest issues were:

Jade Sphere is still terrible as a stagnant well. Energy seems like it generates much easier on hammer than any other weapon. Quickness makes it feel much better but getting to quickness via attunement swapping and managing energy takes enjoyment out of the possibility. 

A lot of ele core skills should probably be updated. Like Shatterstone in scepter water 2 not having a blast finisher. If you run scepter/dagger you have no combo potential in water without running a projectile or blast utility. 

Dagger had similar issues but it also had issues with energy generation and then there's the added issue of it being a very mobile playstyle that works against a stagnant well. 

The biggest issue with catalyst is just that it ONLY works as well as it does because of the third minor trait that gives you auras on any combo rather than just leap finishers. Without that one trait the whole spec would collapse as would the rest of the traits.

Catalyst in general feels like it's only really most efficient on hammer from what I've seen from other weapons. Sure you can make them work, but you could make them work with core ele/tempest/and weaver. 

Also, hammer skills need some different functionality in a few places, like fire 1 and 2 and air 4 and 5. 

Jade sphere should really work like scourge shades in that they can be repositioned easier and the elementalist should gain the benefits whether they're near it or not. Somekind of pulsing combo field and boon gain without needing to be near the sphere would really help. 

I also feel like the energy mechanic really just makes the build more complicated than it needs to be. 

In general, outside of hammer, the gameplay is a bit lacking and there are a lot of skills across the board that feel like they're missing something or just aren't that impactful or lock you into a specific playstyle. 

I think the way hammer dps functions in general on air and fire is a bit disappointing. I almost enjoy pressing 2 in earth and water more than I do using the other two attunements. 

If you have a build you like on Catalyst I highly encourage you tweak it to use core or one of the other elite specs and see how different the playstyle is.  It's viable in open world but what isn't? It's just lackluster in its current form and it has some fun aspects but it still doesn't feel as finished as the other specs released in this or previous expansions. 

I've genuinely tried to find what sets this spec apart, makes it feel like a new fun unique take on the class, and there are still many things they could do to improve it regardless of whether I can kill a pack of  mobs in open world or play wack-a-mole on a strike mission boss. 

I still don't get why quickness is only accessible through air jade sphere. I'm currently running rage and celerity sigils to make up the difference and make the rotation aspect of obtaining personal quickness easier. 

It needs more than just damage increase and a rework of hammer 3, which feels like it should have been built into the spec mechanic from the start and would have given it a more unique feel. 

Speaking of hammer 3 and the buffs it's getting next patch, how are the hammer 3 orbs, you're basically giving a near permanent version of the weaver elite but it's locked into ONE weapon and they already nerfed it last patch because of the damage and necessity to be within the hitbox. That just seems like poor design to me. 

TLDR: It doesn't need to be as complicated as it is, it still doesn't feel overly unique, and from my perspective, they could do a lot to increase the quality of life of this spec while giving it a more unique playstyle. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For as long as I can remember, people have been enthralled by the concept of a battlemage; the one that can use spells and melee weapons with equal prowess.  I think maybe they were attempting to go with this concept. 

Guild Wars 2 has always attempted to give players more freedom and one of it's advertised selling points was that we weren't tied down to a single weapon type because of our class. People had initially been amazed by this feature and I have to say, I am glad they decided to go in the direction they did, in general. 

Saying these things though, I must acknowledge that I feel Catalyst is underdeveloped. One of the Elementalists original selling points was it's mobility! At the time of launch a spell caster that could run around while casting was virtually novel! I feel aspects of the Catalyst are a step backwards and I have to agree with someone else in this thread who said it was disappointing that the hammer attacks weren't more...elemental. 

Edited by Obfuscate.6430
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

Pistol/pistol spellslinger

But op doesn't like that necro got a pistol because it's a mechanical weapon. I assume bows are also out since they are a hunter's weapon. So that leaves us with... torch? Dual wielding foci?

On 3/26/2022 at 11:40 PM, Sobx.1758 said:

So that wasn't a complaint when ele got a sword in PoF becaaaaause....?

Sword is ok, I mean even Gandalf used one 😀

On 3/5/2022 at 4:32 PM, Accipridae.1589 said:

I hate Catalyst at all! First of all wtf a caster is doing with an hammer at all?! Besides,I hated the fight animations as well!Why this hammer became an essential weapon for almost every favorite class of mine? I don't care how much DPS my Ranger can do now,I hate that kitten weapon! I don't like heavy weapons and that's why I have never ever created a warrior but now Arena has given me an hammer and a pistol for my casters;Are you out of your minds?!Caster: Magicians!They need mystical weapons not heavy ones or mechanical ones!Arena has ruined my Elementalist and Necromancer;I don't give a kitten how powerful they have become,I don't feel as a caster anymore!I was complaining about my mesmer because of the pistol and costume inconsistencies due to eye pleasure and aesthetic and now Arena has ruined my all casters with those meaningless weapon choices!

Gosh, learn not to be in a cage full of clichés and standard structures. Besides hammer was a wish asked for casters. Oh have you seen Thor?

Edited by ProtoGunner.4953
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2