What is Caithe's role after LWS4? *Spoilers*

Adonan.7985

In Living World S4 Caithe performed some kind of mind meld with Aurene. Initially I thought she was to be Aurene's connection to the world, considering Aurene couldn't speak until fusing with Caithe (speaking through Caithe). After she broke out of the crystal branding, she began to speak directly. I don't know why she suddenly understood the Tyrian language, but doesn't this defeat the purpose of the mind meld? Also, it only lasted one chapter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adonan.7985 said:

In Living World S4 Caithe performed some kind of mind meld with Aurene. Initially I thought she was to be Aurene's connection to the world, considering Aurene couldn't speak until fusing with Caithe (speaking through Caithe). After she broke out of the crystal branding, she began to speak directly. I don't know why she suddenly understood the Tyrian language, but doesn't this defeat the purpose of the mind meld? Also, it only lasted one chapter.

Her role is protecting Aurene basically.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, StarPT.7431 said:

Her role is protecting Aurene basically.

Pretty much this. She sees herself as something of a mother figure to Aurene, having watched over the egg and shared the crystal branding bond. In a sense, I think she's there to be the more stable parental presence relative to the Champion, who's always out and about, fighting all the time.

And no, I don't find the Caithe-Aurene bond particularly well written myself, but over the years it's been emphasized enough that I'm okay just accepting that that's how it is.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Adonan.7985 said:

SPOILERS FOR LIVING WORLD SEASON 4

Melding with Caithe is why she was able to understand and communicate with Tyrians.

Up until that point, Aurene was her own entity, and only communicated via crude visions. She never had a direct mind-link with the commander, it was more of a spiritual link, so Caithe was the first time she was opened to a mortal's mind. From this she likely gained at least some of Caithe's knowlegde, and possibly some connection to the Dream since Caithe is Sylvari as well.

Why do you think the Commander asks Caithe "what's she like?". Our connection is just.. different.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 2

Leader of the Crystal Bloom I'd guess and a lesser champion/guardian figure.

Tbh I am more interested in the physical limitations of Caithe.
She is the only Sylvari to be connected to an Elder Dragon like this not to mention that to this day there has never been a Sylvari that we know of, dying of old age.

It may very well be possible that Caithe either being a Sylvari or through her unusual connection to Aurine could be essentially immortal, at least when it comes to natural death via aging.
I suspect she can still be killed by other means.

That would make her essentially a life long companion for Aurine, although we also have Kuunavang in the picture now as well who I would not be surprised if she also became one of Aurines Champions in future.
And there is also Albax who also got name dropped by Kuunavang when we ask her if we can help her in any way, but he does not appear at all in the expansion to my knowledge.. so I expect we will be seeing him fairly soon when the next saga or season of living world content comes along.

I would make sense for Aurine to surround herself with other Dragons going forward.
It seems the thing she fears most now is being alone and she knows that one day her mortal Champion will die as will most/all of those who she cares for.
Unless she does have a way to actually make them immortal  via connecting to her like Caithe did and they actually accept that agreement.

That could certainly be a fun thing to revisit in Gw3, an actual fight with the immortal champion who turns out to be our Gw2 character and who's race is actually based on which character you spent the most time playing on in Gw2.
Something like that would probably be very possible to implement if your Gw3 account was also linked in with your Gw1 and 2 accounts.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 12:20 PM, Hannelore.8153 said:

SPOILERS FOR LIVING WORLD SEASON 4

Melding with Caithe is why she was able to understand and communicate with Tyrians.

Up until that point, Aurene was her own entity, and only communicated via crude visions. She never had a direct mind-link with the commander, it was more of a spiritual link, so Caithe was the first time she was opened to a mortal's mind. From this she likely gained at least some of Caithe's knowlegde, and possibly some connection to the Dream since Caithe is Sylvari as well.

Why do you think the Commander asks Caithe "what's she like?". Our connection is just.. different.

I'ts particulary interesting when we realize that the Sylvari are Mordremoth's offspring, the Dragon of Mind. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 6:42 PM, Teratus.2859 said:

It may very well be possible that Caithe either being a Sylvari or through her unusual connection to Aurine could be essentially immortal, at least when it comes to natural death via aging.
I suspect she can still be killed by other means.

welll, they didnt add any special dialogue when you bring aurine fish in eod,  she says the 'given your lifespan' line to everyone, even through we have no idea if sylvari, being dragonminions actually have a lifespan.

4 hours ago, Amanda Whitemoon.6173 said:

welll, they didnt add any special dialogue when you bring aurine fish in eod,  she says the 'given your lifespan' line to everyone, even through we have no idea if sylvari, being dragonminions actually have a lifespan.

That would have been an interesting place for alt dialogue.

Even the Sylvari don't know what their lifespans are, if they even have one.
The Firstborn are still only a few decades old.. the oldest haven't even reached a humans midlife yet.