Is tag cost reasonable in the context of strikes being default party content now?

Considering that we are moving into strikes being 'default' new form of party content, I find it really weird that you need to put 300g just to be able to manage your party.

Without a tag you can't do ready check, can't set subgroups(unless people spread on their own), can't even kick people without voting as there is no leader. These seem to be bare minimum features for 10man squad content. Basically you can't "lead" your squad as all. Well, it's not even "your" squad to begin with. You can only hope that random people joining from LFG will not deadlock the squad by accident, trying to figure out, which one of the 5 dps'es should leave, when all of them instantly joined right after you asked for a healer.

I can somewhat understand tag for open world/wvw 50man squads being gated in some way, as a werid sign of "commitment" to leading big groups, but imho 10man squad management for "casual" daily strikes should not require you to spend 300g.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Tag is definitely worth the money. It fills gw2 players with confidence they otherwise wouldn't have and causes more events you do to pass. 

Editting my response: I think Anet did a good job with their approach to strikes. The first 3 aren't that bad, the last is raid level, but if you do all in a week you get an LI, so basically they're giving strike players a gateway into raid content, but you still get max green shards if you don't do the hard one. Pretty brilliant. The last one is a raid with raid rewards if you do all of them. if you don't care to, you still get full strike mission level rewards. 

Edited by Firebeard.1746
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

I agree, but I also get it. If they called them raids then people (maybe not the FF14 crowd) would have seen them and also though them to be a joke ("1 boss is a raid? lul"), but then the gw2/wow players who know raids as they know them would have sorta felt the same. 

I'm not super pressed atm to get weekly clears done since I am still trying to establish some friends and team mates in the game (found a promising guild this week that I'm optimistic about and get along with), so I can't speak to that frustration. But I personally love a challenge, so I can't wait to get my claws into them!

6 hours ago, Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

Trust me: buying a tag is one of the best investments you can make in this game.  The ability to organize squads and summon hordes of faceless players to do your whim will pay for itself eventually.  If you and your friends are really having trouble getting a tag together, pool your liquid gold together to buy one.  

I'm well aware how 'powerful' and useful commander tag is. I'm just questioning wether this functionality should still be gated behind 300g paywall for 10man squads which are aimed to be 'default and accessible' new form of content now.

Edited by Zychuu.7294

It's strange how expensive they are. I have this vague recollection during the time they announced the making it account wide and increasing the cost to 300g that I think I rushed to get it then for 100g so I'd have it (the silly thing is I've used it once or twice since, when there are prob ppl who would use it more and can't afford it). 300g is ludicrous, imo, but I guess the idea is for guilds to pool gold and support leaders getting it or something? I can understand if they don't want everybody running around with one to the point it becomes meaningless, but surely there's an alternative path they could come up with for leader types without asking people to throw their money at you or farming on your own for ages to get it. Or heck, just reduce the cost to 100g, where it was when it was character bound.

• Confused 1

I've always found it strange that they put the commander behind a price tag. 
You don't have to do much to get gold in this game. And no, I don't mean pulling out your credit card. If someone hadn't paid me the commie, I wouldn't have it till today because I just find it kind of ridiculous that people are running around with it who have zero clue. Literally, it happened to me the other day not the first time that a Commie has tagged simply because everyone has shouted. Who occasionally led people in the wrong directions or skipped events and only came back when others and I screamed ...
But i dont blame the commie there, more the people who blindy follow someone even when he clearly don't go to the next event-circle.

The funny thing is that there are people who also follow a mentor tag, but too many are drawn to commander like moths to a light and can't get anything done on their own without it.

And the fact that you can only put together a meaningful squad with a tag is outdated in my eyes anyway.

But probably people will come with gold-sink. Which in itself is correct, but something like that should be built in just at the right places and not with something fundamental like the GW2 commander.

Edited by Fuchslein.8639

41 minutes ago, Tiilimon.6094 said:

Tbh, anyone leading metas shouldn't be too bothered about the cost.

It's basically nothing to unlock for people who use it to lead metas, just a little bit of pocket change.

Maybe, but for people trying to pug in LFG for 10man strike is definately major problem not being able to manage their squad at all and just kinda hope that it will self organise with 9 random people.

5 hours ago, Zychuu.7294 said:

I'm well aware how 'powerful' and useful commander tag is. I'm just questioning wether this functionality should still be gated behind 300g paywall for 10man squads which are aimed to be 'default and accessible' new form of content now.

2 hours ago, Zychuu.7294 said:

Maybe, but for people trying to pug in LFG for 10man strike is definately major problem not being able to manage their squad at all and just kinda hope that it will self organise with 9 random people.

I very much appreciate that there is a notable Gold cost associated with getting the Comm Tag.  It filters out a lot of players who would potentially misuse the Tag if it were easier to buy.

You acknowledged the power of the Commander Tag, but it cannot be understated how good it is at being a beacon to gather players to the things you want to do in game.  You get to decide when you want to start a group, where it goes, how long it runs.  You can literally put up an LFG and never talk to your squad and still gather players and successfully clear content.

I still think that the LFG and Squad management tools could and should be improved upon, as with or without the Tag there are some issues with it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Zychuu.7294 said:

You can only hope that random people joining from LFG will not deadlock the squad by accident, trying to figure out, which one of the 5 dps'es should leave, when all of them instantly joined right after you asked for a healer.

is someone capable of "managing" a 10 people instance really going to miss out on 300g?

for a newbie it'll probably take them 20hrs to farm that, but then do they have the ability to judge which of the 5 dps should get kicked?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zychuu.7294 said:

But it's only 300g, if people have a hard time coming up with this amount or don't have it in their pocket already, I personally would rather have someone else lead who doesn't see such trivial matters as a problem.

Seriously, you can get this amount of gold and a bit more in about 3 hours if you know what to do, just go farming with the pug and buy 10.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, DarcShriek.5829 said:

I remember when they were only 100G

Yeah but back then they were character bound instead of account wide.  Fortunately for players that already unlocked at least one tag before the change got the account wide unlock at no extra cost.

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892

2 hours ago, Zavijah.2695 said:

Agreed. I only want people who've clearly got a handle on the game, and to know how to make money, or at least invested enough through gem conversion to want to lead with a tag, rather than any old trash. 

Yeah I love gatekeeping.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zavijah.2695 said:

Agreed. I only want people who've clearly got a handle on the game, and to know how to make money, or at least invested enough through gem conversion to want to lead with a tag, rather than any old trash. 

Making money and "got a handle on the game" are two completly diferent thing. You can make SO much money, by just pressing 1 and do meta, after meta. Or you can make a lot of money via the Tradepost. This dosn't mean you have any clew about how this game works.
That would be like saying the top people who lead this world should be all the people who have a lot of money (whether inherited or self-earned) ... oh wait.

The commie-tag is just outdatet. 300gold in this game is not much. I have the last 3 weeks over 3k gems earned because I have saved for the Lightbringer and meanwhile 2 other skins came in that I really wanted. And i did not have the time to play all day for this, i just know how to make money. But i couldn't lead a strike mission, or raid squad right now, although I participate in both very often.
But here i'am, having the commie, because i got lucky. And i'm using it to lure people into maps, so that we got metas done. But i could not bring myself to learn all the things about strike and raid-compositions to lead a squad there. While other, who know about this things, can't or don't want to afford the tag.

• Like 1

Get it! It's definitely worth it. Nobody follows an apple tag since apple tags are mostly inexperienced and stuff will definitely fail on them. This goes back to the release of HoT where every new player was running around with these since it's easy to get. You can also amnage stuff better like map markers when in a squad or make dedicated subgroups to organize roles and you can kick people you don't want in there. 
It's also a nice way of preventing players to randomly spam invite on you since you can tag up and make your squad private (it's not visible for others then). I mainly use the tag for this because I'm tired of people spamming invites on me when I'd rather be alone. Even when I block them they can somehow still invite me. 
Other than that I use the tag for strike missions or raids in lfg or on the open map when there's a "harder" event or boss on the map. Simply tagging up and waiting is a great way to get people to come when you have social anxiety and don't want to use the chat. Other than that I use it for jumping puzzles as well to port people up to the chest and hopefully make some money in the process. 
There's various uses for the comm tag that a mentor tag can't fulfill.

• Confused 1

On 3/6/2022 at 1:34 AM, Zychuu.7294 said:

Considering that we are moving into strikes being 'default' new form of party content, I find it really weird that you need to put 300g just to be able to manage your party.

It's not impossible to create and manage a 10-man squad without a tag if you are able to communicate adequately. Having a tag makes things obviously easier with more tools at your disposal. The 300g you pay is for that change and in reality it's a tiny cost. Personally I would not join a squad without a tag for raids or strikes - if the leader can't even be bothered to invest in a tag, they are probably not too bothered about how the instance will run.

• Confused 1