Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Inventory management really needs some cleanup


Recommended Posts

Managing inventory in this game is (for me anyway)... exhausting, tbh. It starts out innocently enough. You get a few items here, a few there, maybe you should hang onto them, you'll use them for something. Next thing you know you're struggling to have room for anything when you go out and loot in the open world.

To be more specific, some problems I repeatedly run into:

- Items that ask you to confirm deletion, yet are safe to delete and serve no purpose to hold onto (I have to minimize and check a wiki and hope it has a comment about whether it's safe to delete)

- So many items, especially relating to collections, but just in general, are unclear whether you should delete them or not.

- Mats that stockpile, especially account bound ones, so you can't sell them: you might say "well this is to pressure you to buy more storage" but that's just kicking the can down the road. Sooner or later, you're going to reach your limit again. What I end up doing with the account bound ones is deleting mats, which is just absurd.

- Bound skins that are essentially just transmutation charges, but less flexible.

- Gear I might want to use in a different build or different character, especially special ascended pieces you get from this or that achievement or collection, but idk who to put it on yet

Off the top of my head, things that might help:

- Separate inventory for quest items

- Allow us to convert bound skins into transmutation charges

- Go through special items and make it more clear what is unsafe to delete by making it vendorable if it is considered safe to delete (this is already the case for some collection items, but not all)

- Make an account wide gear storage tab that gives a little breathing room for hanging onto miscellaneous gear before you've decided what you want to do with it

I have no idea what to do about the mat problem though. I remember you tried to do something about that with the special daily mat eater gimmick, but it consumes so little relative to how fast you can acquire it and it's yet another item to keep in your inventory if you went to the effort to acquire it.

Edited by Labjax.2465
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

 

To be more specific, some problems I repeatedly run into:

- Items that ask you to confirm deletion, yet are safe to delete and serve no purpose to hold onto (I have to minimize and check a wiki and hope it has a comment about whether it's safe to delete)

This is also one of my major gripes. Like the Box o' Fun.

53 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

- So many items, especially relating to collections, but just in general, are unclear whether you should delete them or not.

Yeah this is also a valid point

53 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

- Mats that stockpile, especially account bound ones, so you can't sell them: you might say "well this is to pressure you to buy more storage" but that's just kicking the can down the road. Sooner or later, you're going to reach your limit again. What I end up doing with the account bound ones is deleting mats, which is just absurd.

Not sure about this one though. If you craft regularly, like I do, I am running out of mats constantly. I think the main reason they don't want people to stockpile mats is that stockpiling drives the price up on the TP. It limits the supply of it.

53 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

- Bound skins that are essentially just transmutation charges, but less flexible.

Yeah and some of them you have to confirm deletion also....

53 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

- Gear I might want to use in a different build or different character, especially special ascended pieces you get from this or that achievement or collection, but idk who to put it on yet

This one I feel is not a real argument or cause for concern. Also with the current move towards legendary items, I think this is not a fair concern or indeed a lesser concern at best.

53 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Off the top of my head, things that might help:

- Separate inventory for quest items

I think there are better ways to deal with quest items. Like not having them physically in your inventory at all but rather let it be done via the quest/event system

53 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

- Allow us to convert bound skins into transmutation charges

I think that when you buy skins you should get an equal amount of transmutation charges to the amount of items you bought. The purchase goes as follows: buy the skin(s) at the gemstore > get the item in your mail > transfer the item to your inventory > click the item to unlock the skins and add transmutation charges to the account.

53 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

- Go through special items and make it more clear what is unsafe to delete by making it vendorable if it is considered safe to delete (this is already the case for some collection items, but not all)

As above, I feel that it should be solved via the quest/event system but if there are still items that you need to get into your inventory this is very much the way to go. 

53 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

- Make an account wide gear storage tab that gives a little breathing room for hanging onto miscellaneous gear before you've decided what you want to do with it

Well I don't see this as an issue and I think you'll find that if other issues are resolved, this won't be an issue anymore.

53 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

I have no idea what to do about the mat problem though. I remember you tried to do something about that with the special daily mat eater gimmick, but it consumes so little relative to how fast you can acquire it and it's yet another item to keep in your inventory if you went to the effort to acquire it.

The mat problem will not be solved (imo) because of the following reasons:

  • There is already a materials storage which takes part of the issue away
  • The supply of mats should stay steady on the TP (gold sink), so stockpiling is not what the game wants you to do
  • The other reason for not stockpiling is to keep you playing over time. MMOs like to do that

 

The mat eater gimmicks eat 400+ of a type of mat (stuff like bloodstone dust) per day if you have all of them . Is that not enough? 

 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Managing inventory in this game is (for me anyway)... exhausting, tbh. It starts out innocently enough. You get a few items here, a few there, maybe you should hang onto them, you'll use them for something. Next thing you know you're struggling to have room for anything when you go out and loot in the open world.

To be more specific, some problems I repeatedly run into:

- Items that ask you to confirm deletion, yet are safe to delete and serve no purpose to hold onto (I have to minimize and check a wiki and hope it has a comment about whether it's safe to delete)

- So many items, especially relating to collections, but just in general, are unclear whether you should delete them or not.

- Mats that stockpile, especially account bound ones, so you can't sell them: you might say "well this is to pressure you to buy more storage" but that's just kicking the can down the road. Sooner or later, you're going to reach your limit again. What I end up doing with the account bound ones is deleting mats, which is just absurd.

- Bound skins that are essentially just transmutation charges, but less flexible.

- Gear I might want to use in a different build or different character, especially special ascended pieces you get from this or that achievement or collection, but idk who to put it on yet

Off the top of my head, things that might help:

- Separate inventory for quest items

- Allow us to convert bound skins into transmutation charges

- Go through special items and make it more clear what is unsafe to delete by making it vendorable if it is considered safe to delete (this is already the case for some collection items, but not all)

- Make an account wide gear storage tab that gives a little breathing room for hanging onto miscellaneous gear before you've decided what you want to do with it

I have no idea what to do about the mat problem though. I remember you tried to do something about that with the special daily mat eater gimmick, but it consumes so little relative to how fast you can acquire it and it's yet another item to keep in your inventory if you went to the effort to acquire it.

I agree they should make it clearer when collection items and other things can be sold/deleted because they have no other use, and reduce the number of items which require you to type the name in to delete them. Especially skins which unlock in the wardrobe when you acquire them; the items itself has no use, but it's annoying to delete.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting with the materials you never use though. Are you effectively asking Anet to make material storage infinite for those items? What purpose would that serve? You're still not using it. If you've got more than you can store and it keeps coming in faster than you're using it why not just delete it? You can get more just as easily if you ever do need it.

Also I think the solution to skins you're not sure you want to use is to delete them. Unless you're desperately short of transmutation charges there's no need to keep them once they're in the wardrobe, they're just taking up space.

I do keep a lot of spare equipment in the bank, but I know that's my choice and I have the space to spare. But I am working on making a legendary backpack so I don't have to keep those, because I can't seem to get past the idea that they're rare and hard to come by so I end up keeping more spares than I have characters "just in case". But again that's my problem, I know I could safely get rid of some of them, I just don't want to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I find myself agreeing with a lot of what I see here. I would find it super helpful too if certain items got a border to show you what they are. Say all collection items get a little green ribbon in the corner so they can be identified at a glance. 

Another thing that I would love some quality of life on is the Mcguffin type items, Nuhoch Warbler, Treasure Hustung Kits, Modrem Extraction Devices… etc. It’s often hard to tell where they are from and what they are for. 

Before the xpac hit I spent a full afternoon clearing inventories across 12 chars and cleaning up my bank spending ages googling some of these drops to figure out what they were. I find that every few months I need to sacrifice an afternoon to not playing and dealing with inventory mess. 

It would be neat also if there was something like ‘add to bank stacks’ if you are at the bank to pull everything out of your inventory that you are collecting in the bank rather than having to deal with this one item at a time.

It would also be nice to have deeper pockets for mithril and elder wood tier base mats. If you are doing legendaries you will burn through thousands of these. Like I think I had like 9000 mithril and 6000 leather around prior to crafting Astralaria filling up a whole 2 bank tabs with basic mats. I’ve since started a little guild just for me where I’ve unlocked all the bank tiers and it’s a nice storage area for legendary crafting - but also an expensive hobby. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...