Most players don't know how much dps they do

On 3/7/2022 at 12:19 AM, Gibson.4036 said:

What would be a reasonable dps threshold to be considered contributing in a meta, say?

Taking DE as the most recent example, I'd much rather a player knows the mechanics of the fight as opposed to doing good dps. They can do 2-3k for all I care, as long as they manage to do the wisp mechanics, or be prepared to CC the hell out of Soo-Won when her breakbar appears, move out of her AoEs and jump the shockwave, or simply quickly move to tail and kill it when applicable.

Maybe in raids and strikes where it's more often a dps race against a timer, and a setting where I believe interested players will then actually care to improve, I'd hope for minimum 10k, but only in that setting.😊

Edited by Dondarrion.2748
Spelling
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When people say "I do 20k, I do 30k, or more dps", are they basing that off a full stack of boons against a training golem? Or actual gameplay situations with a parser in a raid?

I went to the training golem for the first time ever...

My most likely sub optimal build (Condi Virtuoso, dagger based, celestial exotic gear, and some cheap runes) and mostly spammy rotation was doing maybe 5-8k dps with no boons, but almost 20k with them all active.

I'm very clearly not trying to be some top tier raider or hit the top of the parse charts, just want to know if my "20k-ish with the boons all active" is somewhat reasonable? 

Edit - Just checked out my DPS on the nothing close to an actual build Reaper I played through all of Core, HoT, PoF with... 10k dps with all the boons. Yikes.

Edited by Reborn.1738
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Reborn.1738 said:

When people say "I do 20k, I do 30k, or more dps", are they basing that off a full stack of boons against a training golem?

Typically the former, but some bosses are basically just golems that don't move much so it's entirely possible.

If you don't have a full party of people giving you boons, then you are doing fine and most likely doing better than most, though nobody can tell unless you check yourself.

Average player only does 2-3k dps because they run incoherent builds with very weak gear and most likely  lack in all categories:  defense, offense, and support. That's where the problem is. You're actually running a real build that does something, and probably not the problem in this thread.

The benchmark represents the highest potential of your build. Now obviously, if the benchmark is very low damage even under optimal conditions, then the damage in actual situations is going to be terrible.

Almost nowhere in this game do you need more than 10k dps. It's simply just understanding how the fights work.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Reborn.1738 said:

When people say "I do 20k, I do 30k, or more dps", are they basing that off a full stack of boons against a training golem? Or actual gameplay situations with a parser in a raid?

While people are generally referring to the golem when making these claims you can actually pull them of in praxis too if you know what you're doing (e.g. this is from a PuG vs. the Chak Gerent over the course of about 1,5 min).

Edited by Tails.9372

2 hours ago, Reborn.1738 said:

As pointed out by others, usually the value thrown around is the golem benchmark. Which is not to mean that 15-25k or more aren't realistic in an open world meta setting.

Yes, a full set of boons is assumed, some more experienced players either run adaptations on builds for open world content, giving themselves sole of the offensive boons. Or they strait up run support builds which provide those boons to others. Or they just stick to their meta build. It depends. I personally enjoy running open world builds when not running a healing support. 

In some occasions friends/guildies might run alongside each other with some doing damage while others provide boons. 

My most likely sub optimal build (Condi Virtuoso, dagger based, celestial exotic gear, and some cheap runes) and mostly spammy rotation was doing maybe 5-8k dps with no boons, but almost 20k with them all active.

That's actually above what the average build many players run output.

Still it falls short compared to some autoattack builds or even meta builds which reach between 30-40k dps.

I'm very clearly not trying to be some top tier raider or hit the top of the parse charts, just want to know if my "20k-ish with the boons all active" is somewhat reasonable? 

It's reasonable on a custom build with some good traits here and there, useful stats paired with decent runes/sigils.

Edit - Just checked out my DPS on the nothing close to an actual build Reaper I played through all of Core, HoT, PoF with... 10k dps with all the boons. Yikes.

That's pretty much what many players run, and without boons those builds barely reach 2-3k dps. You can give it a whirl without boons and see for yourself. 

You have thus confirmed to yourself exactly what most of the more experienced players have been saying: many custom builds are just not in a good spot, unless the person read up a bit and incorporated some advice/knowledge into their build.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Crystal Paladin.3871 said:

Wish anet made those jade protocol offensive buffs to get applied every 10-15 secs instead of only after entering combat. if that's the case, no need for subgroup comps in squad no extra organizing required, no extra emphasis on proper gearing and proper rotations required to succeed the DragonEnd meta and PPL won't even complain here...

Yeah, totally, buffs should apply themselves, damage should deal itself and dodges should... dodge themselves? Can't wait for my dailies to complete themselves for me too -and after that we can finally move on to my pc turning itself on so the game can auto-logic and collect the daily login rewards for itself 😉

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

On 4/13/2022 at 10:41 AM, jamesg.7128 said:

I'm a casual and also older gamer (anyone else remember Temple of Apshai?) but I do occasionally do fractals and more recently strikes for the first time.

I run Arcdps because

1. I want to get an idea of how much damage I'm doing

2. How I compare against other people or classes and

3. Because I don't want to be a drag on the group I'm in.

While I may never be top of the list, I'm satisfied that I'm not at the bottom either.

I remember Temple of Apshai. I recently googled some screen shots of it. Man that game had terrible graphics. lol

14 hours ago, Reborn.1738 said:

20k-30k sound like actual encounter numbers in the game. So actual gameplay situations.

A lot of specs are very op currently and able to do 40k+ with a perfect rotation. Some raid encounters allow you to achieve those numbers aswell. Mirage can get 45k dps on wing 5 boss 1 for example. Wing 4 boss 1 and 2 are basically golems so you can get almost golem numbers there aswell.

Usually when people state their dps they mean their actual encounter dps.

• Confused 1