Badge of the Willbender possibly bugged

• ArenaNet Staff

Hello everyone, I have a couple of updates that should help you progress things:

• Purist Champions Akma, Gakkai, Jo Da, Mal-Chin, Mun-Hee, Ryeo, Sarin, or Sonsang all drop the Badge of the Willbender in the “Defeat the Purist Champion” event.
    • We will be updating the hint text to clarify that. 
  • To trigger that event, players need to complete “Thwart the Purist Agitators” in Lutgartis Market five times.
    • We are working on an update that will change the requirement to one completion instead of five. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Hello everyone, I have a couple of updates that should help you progress things:

• Purist Champions Akma, Gakkai, Jo kitten, Mal-Chin, Mun-Hee, Ryeo, Sarin, or Sonsang all drop the Badge of the Willbender in the “Defeat the Purist Champion” event.
  • To trigger that event, players need to complete “Thwart the Purist Agitators” in Lutgartis Market five times.
    • We are working on an update that will change the requirement to one completion instead of five. 

Thanks for looking into it and clearing it up for us! Of course I immediately sought the market events out, did three in a row (~10 min respawn timer) and then the Blackout Meta started. Apparently the market events won't spawn while the meta is up, which would be one of the reasons why so few people did them. The meta then failed halve way through and still no market events. I have waited 1h40min as the time of this writing, since I finished the last market event. So for anyone attempting this, you may need a successful meta map.
While I at first was a bit sad, that we needed to "cheat" and rely on dev info instead of finding it on our own and blaming it on bugs that weren't there, I find that the prerequisites where too steep and am glad, that the event will spawn more reliably in the future.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

• Purist Champions Akma, Gakkai, Jo kitten, Mal-Chin, Mun-Hee, Ryeo, Sarin, or Sonsang all drop the Badge of the Willbender in the “Defeat the Purist Champion” event.

Thanks for the update Rubi but I have another small piece of information about these champs that may be worth passing along to the devs.

These named champions can also appear in the ministry of Archives in an event "Defeat the purist" if enough players are around to scale the event to spawn a champion instead of an elite. However, these ones do not count towards the badge of the willbender even though they are the same named purist champions that spawn in the "Defeat the purist champion" event. Ran a squad on the 15th and had a lot of players angry they killed the named mobs but did not get the credit from the ministry of archives.  I know I have witnessed both Akma and Sonsang spawning there and killed them on my guardian without receiving credit.  So it may be worth looking into these named champions spawning for other events.

May be worth making sure only a regular purist champion spawns there when the event scales instead of one of these named ones people have been hunting or letting the champion for the scaled event give credit.

Edited by Chocofox.9503
typo

On 3/18/2022 at 7:08 PM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

Someone on the dev team really thought five was the right number

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, EveningTempo.4796 said:

Someone on the dev team really thought five was the right number

Lol. Yeah they thought let's troll guardians during this expansion. Well atleast it's not like 10 or 20 times. But even 5 times is rough. 5x10mins = 50mins. During those 50mins you'll most likely get interrupted by meta which stops the event chain.. so those x5 times become like 2 hours~ And after those 5 events you'll still need to locate the champ in time before somebody else does.

Edited by Dave.6819

Ok, so I've been waiting on the "Thwart the Purist Agitators" for over 3 hours and it hasn't spawned once. Does this event trigger on another event failing? I hope that's not the case because Anet already has a pretty poor track record of locking things behind failed events....

Edit: Turns out that the "Thwart the Purist Agitators" event gets bugged due to the meta so if it isn't spawning on your map, try a different map.

Edited by Cael Vtroz.5932
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Vyce.2014 said:

I tried this a few times yesterday and both times the "Thwart the Purist Agitators" event spawned, 1x of the agitators was missing, so we could never complete the event.

Perhaps you have to do another event five times in order to spawn that event in order to do it five times in order for the champion event to spawn. 

Edited by mythical.6315
  • Haha 1

I did notice something very strange, though... the gathering nodes in the market refresh every ten minutes. Perhaps that's the bug? Instead of the event spawning, it's happening to the gathering nodes? Might sound a bit far-fetched but maybe it's worth a look if there's a connection. Every time I either wait ten minutes or reinstance, the gathering nodes in the market where the event is supposed to spawn are ready for gathering again, rather than it being a daily thing.

Wow this expansion.  Spent 2 days and multiple hours trying to get past the first quest to even get to Cantha (kept crashing out after the cutscene with me dead on the beach).  I spent hours rerunning the quest to feed Aurene a fish because it was broken.  Wasted hours running the meta in Echovald because the Virtuoso collection said the piece I was missing was there and it wouldn't drop (because the note is wrong, saitung one dropped from echovald meta, the echovald one dropped from seitung meta, BRILLIANT!).  Spent days and days and MANY hours trying to do the Dragon's End meta.  I've run into so, so, so many bugs that I can't even attempt to list all of them.

Now this.  Seriously HOW does Anet test stuff?!?  Do they even test it?  I've played a ton of different MMO's and never seen one launch with this many just sloppy bugs that prevent progress.  It's pretty much a daily thing now that I give up on one buggy thing, try another and then spend multiple hours on google trying to figure out what I am doing wrong, spoiler alert usually I am not and it's also just bugged.  I guess we should be glad the game's stable, but come on.

Edited by Skerrit.7105

On 3/22/2022 at 9:59 PM, Vyce.2014 said:

I tried this a few times yesterday and both times the "Thwart the Purist Agitators" event spawned, 1x of the agitators was missing, so we could never complete the event.

It's not missing it just spawns outside the event circle. to the south there is an island just outside the event circle with a mastery point atop of it. the final agitator spawns there at ground level.

1 hour ago, Chocofox.9503 said:

It's not missing it just spawns outside the event circle. to the south there is an island just outside the event circle with a mastery point atop of it. the final agitator spawns there at ground level.

That's not good game design. I know which one you're talking about, and not only across the bridge, but occluded from view, so it's incredibly misleading. It'd be one thing if it were just outside the circle but still in view. Instead, it has the triple-whammy of being outside the circle, occluded from view from the rest of the event area, AND it is not in the market where the event is supposed to take place.

I don't blame people for not finding it under those circumstances. Not to mention, this event doesn't even spawn properly 99% of the time. It's supposed to show up every 10 minutes, but it doesn't. Since it's bugged, this is yet another thing about it that might as well be adjusted, too.

Been waiting around New & Old Kaineng for the better part of 5h, afk while working.

The pre-events that should spawn every 10min do not at all, even with 2(!) successfull metas on 2 different maps. The champion purifier enemies never ever spawned in those 5h.

I am not sure if there's another trigger to this that's bugged but currently this is unobtainable (and the last bit I need). Could we get an update for future plans for this, maybe a patch to fix the pre-events and lower the number to 2 or 3 needed?

1 hour ago, Sulphy.6985 said:

Could we get an update for future plans for this, maybe a patch to fix the pre-events and lower the number to 2 or 3 needed?

On 3/19/2022 at 12:08 AM, Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

We are working on an update that will change the requirement to one completion instead of five. 

•  

Hello guys,

I have been killing Aetherblades for about 4hrs without any luck on getting Willbender Trinket, for the collection, I have tried killing it as core guardian, fb and willbender and nothing is working...

Do you guys have any advice on how to get it? Or maybe im trying o a different spot, the Aetherblades Hideout POI.

Im getting tilted with this collection.

4 hours ago, RavenDreams.4107 said:

Hello guys,

I have been killing Aetherblades for about 4hrs without any luck on getting Willbender Trinket, for the collection, I have tried killing it as core guardian, fb and willbender and nothing is working...

Do you guys have any advice on how to get it? Or maybe im trying o a different spot, the Aetherblades Hideout POI.

Im getting tilted with this collection.

This part is not surprisingly ALSO bugged.  It does not drop in Echovald at all but drops from Aetherblades at the Aetherblade camp in Old Kaineng.  I didn't see which mob dropped it for me, but it only took a couple kills to get it.

2 hours ago, Skerrit.7105 said:

This part is not surprisingly ALSO bugged.  It does not drop in Echovald at all but drops from Aetherblades at the Aetherblade camp in Old Kaineng.  I didn't see which mob dropped it for me, but it only took a couple kills to get it.

Oh ok thanks, im killing a lot of them right now, not luck yet.

Any news? Still trying to complete Purifier collection with no luck whatsoever..

I also have a question. Let's say you do those 5x events in a row. Then what? Champions spawn where? Near the market or after 5 events you're supposed to go looking for them in different places and hope you'll make it in time? For now after every event i rush to old kaineng to see if it spawned. No luck so far.

Edited by Dave.6819

On 3/24/2022 at 3:37 PM, banshee.9328 said:

I actually got the item, after close to 12 hours total, a lot of time events were either bugged or we got interrupted by the meta, sometimes it failed.

Me and about 15 other Guardians all got it from the one "bugged" mob (the name starts with R) which spawned after 50minutes of pre, just after a meta success. Very tiresome, but glad it's over.