End of Dragon - "Personally" the Worst Expansion to date.

This is just going to be a rant thread.
I do understand that the expansions is good for some, but to me it has been the actual WORST.
The Expansion has released a week ago.
And I have already been physically nauseously ill 4 times. Litterally having to throw up.

I'm a Deutan Colorblind (seeing Greens as sharp Reds) and I am very prone to motion sickness.

I dunno what passed in the devs mind but honestly I'm disappointed.
Since the expansion announcement trailers I knew I was going to have troubles with the expansion but still pre-ordered in good faith.
Sadly that good faith was heavily misplaced.

I'm still awaiting after, 2 years old now (since the announcement of that VITAL Accessibility Option:) Colorblind Options which would heavily help me enjoy the expansion more.
The Jade Sea META (if we need to add that to the discussion) has been just a mess, so many overlapping sound, voices and visual stimulus that, 3 out of the 4 throwing ups were form that META alone...

Today, March 7th 2022, I got stuck out of bound thrice, one of them via Skiff Collisions (who thought that was a good idea?!!!), a 2nd time by fighting Jade Mechs with Bladesworn (Dragon Trigger Ability 2) (same as Revenant Sword 3 Skill, wasn't that fixed before?!!!!) and finally the WORST that caused the 4th throw up, was while doing the Snargle Collection with the Pale Events in the first map, the twister attacks lodged me in the ceiling of a house and I got stuck my camera spasming up and down, I was still considered in combat and I couldn't waypoint, and reloading from Character Selections Screen was a big nope, (I'm highly disliking whichever devs who has created this abomination of an event, following that emergency trip to the bathroom....)

SO ANet, I don't know what sort of game you are playing anymore... but if I have to give an honest verdict on the "End of Dragons" Expansion after today, it is a big  fat "1/10" Score (and I'm extremely generous).

You have a lot to work and fix, and I wouldn't be surprised if the current state does stales out for months... because you have proven to be absolutely incapable to sticking to an actual reasonable schedule... I'm not going to munch any of my words on this here.... because you absolutely deserve it (to know the facts and how bad it has been) after those sick trips you have made me do....

End of Dragons should have been delayed further because IT WAS NOT READY...

• Like 28
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 17
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

The game makes you throw up ... so it's not ready for release? That doesn't make sense. 

Cumulation of multiple issues, but mostly caused by design choices that heavily impact health, which was actually reported before release as concerns and devs were like, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT... and some major mechanical issues that portrays the devs as incappable to fix a bug that is almost 5 years old that they acknowledged in the past.

Overall it make me feel like yeah, glad I listened and had faith, because I had the litteral worst week.
It is a blasphemy to say but I honestly think even getting COVID would have been more Swell than the feeling I had all week with this expansion.

I am not going to refund because I'm giving ANet a chance to redeem itself but for the time being it is absolutely not worth it.

The expansions has some good points... but heavily useless to mention them as they are easily overthrown by the problematics ones.

And for those who think this is another META talk, THIS IS COMPLETLY IRRELATED TO THAT BUGGY TURTLE UNLOCK.
----
Do wish you the best of experience until it makes you throw up too by the way, if you are so stern on defending the expansion that you are incappable of any empathy.

Edited by KurokouNekoki.7891
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KurokouNekoki.7891 said:

Cumulation of multiple issues, but mostly caused by design choices that heavily impact health, which was actually reported before release as concerns and devs were like, DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT... and some major mechanical issues that portrays the devs as incappable to fix a bug that is almost 5 years old that they acknowledged in the past.

Overall it make me feel like yeah, glad I listened and had faith, because I had the litteral worst week.
It is a blasphemy to say but I honestly think even getting COVID would have been more Swell than the feeling I had all week with this expansion.

I am not going to refund because I'm giving ANet a chance to redeem itself but for the time being it is absolutely not worth it.

The expansions has some good points... but heavily useless to mention them as they are easily overthrown by the problematics ones.

And for those who think this is another META talk, THIS IS COMPLETLY IRRELATED TO THAT BUGGY TURTLE UNLOCK.
----
Do wish you the best of experience until it makes you throw up too by the way, if you are so stern on defending the expansion that you are incappable of any empathy.

Sounds like you really struggle sometimes with gaming and I'm sorry you have to go through that. Is there any way you could lessen the impact on your eyes? Maybe some kind of glasses that can help ease the strain on your eyes with your condition? Unfortunately with End of Dragons taking place in Cantha, literally everything is either water, or green because of the Jade. So that couldn't be helped, but I do understand it sometimes is too much for you, and I only hope you feel better, or find a way to make it less of a burden. ❤️

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Caitybee.3614 said:

Sounds like you really struggle sometimes with gaming and I'm sorry you have to go through that. Is there any way you could lessen the impact on your eyes? Maybe some kind of glasses that can help ease the strain on your eyes with your condition? Unfortunately with End of Dragons taking place in Cantha, literally everything is either water, or green because of the Jade. So that couldn't be helped, but I do understand it sometimes is too much for you, and I only hope you feel better, or find a way to make it less of a burden. ❤️

I appreciate the Sympathy here.
The only options I have are usually either having official Colorblind/Color Correction options or passing via a third party app which is not allowed by ANet (kind of dumb tbh...)

A pair of glasses is not possible... as a pair for Deutan goes to 600$ + the Normal Prescription which mine is at 800$ already. So a 1,400$ Pair of glasses is absolutely out of question...

When I saw how the Trailer affected me I had a serious concern which I contacted ANet about and yeah, they said to still wait for the Colorblind Options as they were working for it, (again has been 2 years since the announcement that this was on the work).... and I placed my faith in them... and yeah that's where it landed to me now...

If people want to say I haven't gave it a try, well some would know I tried the META, which is just a big zone with litterally everything that could cause me harm to get that bloody mount, for 30+ hours. (Mentioning this only to put some light on how hard I actually try to give the benefit of the doubt here.)

I cannot play the game like regular people with no disabilities have.
Hence this post, so ANet could potentially see how much their previous choice has hindered the faith some people had towards their development, and perhaps start to think about focusing on helping and making the right choices.
I'm a 7 years old player who ditched WoW voluntarily and at the time I felt bad not giving GW2 a chance earlier... but now I'm having a lot of mixed feelings. The game is nice, and hanging with my friend is nice too, but I have seen how "normalized" the community is.

When I came the community was super friendly, but as time went on and ANet adding more difficult content the community has heavily split; now the feelings I have is to make sure I sort the people accordingly, because we don't ALL goes in the same basket.

Hardcorer will be hardcorer, and casual will be casual, people with disabilities will be with people with sidabilities.
And to be honest the only section that cannot think under themselves is the hardcorer, although I know some raiders that are kind... just wish that ANet pulled the breaks before we were fractured like this.

The Poster after my initial post is fair to assume is part of that Hardcore gaming that can only think about themselves.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Sorry to hear about your situation OP. If it's any consolation, I find the new maps and instances very visually uncomfortable as well even though I don't have your medical condition. The sharp greens and overcontrasted hues cause eye strain, and aesthetically I just think they're pretty ugly to look at - and that's without even touching on the effects barf of the meta events and boss battles.

The visual noise issue has been talked about for literal years, and the response from ArenaNet has pretty consistently been 'we hear you and we're adding more'. Disappointing.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KurokouNekoki.7891 said:

I appreciate the Sympathy here.
The only options I have are usually either having official Colorblind/Color Correction options or passing via a third party app which is not allowed by ANet (kind of dumb tbh...)

A pair of glasses is not possible... as a pair for Deutan goes to 600$ + the Normal Prescription which mine is at 800$ already. So a 1,400$ Pair of glasses is absolutely out of question...

When I saw how the Trailer affected me I had a serious concern which I contacted ANet about and yeah, they said to still wait for the Colorblind Options as they were working for it, (again has been 2 years since the announcement that this was on the work).... and I placed my faith in them... and yeah that's where it landed to me now...

If people want to say I haven't gave it a try, well some would know I tried the META, which is just a big zone with litterally everything that could cause me harm to get that bloody mount, for 30+ hours.

I cannot play the game like regular people with no disabilities have.
Hence this post, so ANet could potentially see how much their previous choice has hindered the faith some people had towards their development, and perhaps start to think about focusing on helping and making the right choices.
I'm a 7 years old player who ditched WoW voluntarily and at the time I felt bad not giving GW2 a chance earlier... but now I'm having a lot of mixed feelings. The game is nice, and hanging with my friend is nice too, but I have seen how "normalized" the community is.

When I came the community was super friendly, but as time went on and ANet adding more difficult content the community has heavily split; now the feelings I have is to make sure I sort the people accordingly, because we don't ALL goes in the same basket.

Hardcorer will be hardcorer, and casual will be casual, people with disabilities will be with people with sidabilities.
And to be honest the only section that cannot think under themselves is the hardcorer, although I know some raiders that are kind... just wish that ANet pulled the breaks before we were fractured like this.

The Poster after my initial post is fair to assume is part of that Hardcore gaming that can only think about themselves.

I appreciate your honesty, I do see you comment a lot in the posts regarding EoD content and it's nice not having to read toxic posts all the time telling me to "Get good" lol. I hope Anet finishes that option they announced so you can have an easier time. The Turtle isn't going anywhere though, so might be best to just wait to see if Anet finally adjusts the Meta event later during patch day, which is usually on Tuesdays. Also if you ever need someone to chat to, my mail inbox is always open in-game. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Caitybee.3614 said:

I appreciate your honesty, I do see you comment a lot in the posts regarding EoD content and it's nice not having to read toxic posts all the time telling me to "Get good" lol. I hope Anet finishes that option they announced so you can have an easier time. The Turtle isn't going anywhere though, so might be best to just wait to see if Anet finally adjusts the Meta event later during patch day, which is usually on Tuesdays. Also if you ever need someone to chat to, my mail inbox is always open in-game. 🙂

I'll keep that in mind! Thank you kindly! 

To the people who thought the OP was acting overentitled, someday somewhere it will be your issue that they claimed to appreciate and fix but didn't, and then you might just maybe have a change of heart.  But on to more productive thoughts.

Are you certain there isn't a 3rd party app out there that might be allowed?  I don't know about this particular condition, but it seems to me there are some shader apps that are widely used.  Just in case, also consider that while Anet will (from my very limited personal experience) go out of its way never to appear to actively approve of 3rd party apps and thus they may not offer you any certainty, that does not mean that they are against them all either.  

Just googling quick, I see a very old post that mentions that colors shift with luminance, or in simpler language the time of day causes changes in colors too.  I don't know if that complicates the problem because you would need more than one custom filter to reduce greens, but I wonder if it could help you toward a solution too.  Perhaps some of the custom filter apps could even be set to change greens into a more acceptable color?  I'm not sure if such a feature exists or not, but I seem to recall they had quite a few settings out there.  

Sadly I don't know what could be done for motion sickness.  But if changing colors helps and your choice is between not playing the expac at all or placing your bets on some 3rd party app being allowed, there you are I guess.  Hope you find something that works!

Edited by XiraMint.3162
  • Like 4

It always surprises (not really, but is always disappointing) that as progressive as Anet is for some things, they still have yet to address multiple accessibility issues for disabled people. Adding colourblind options or changing what exists has been asked for since release and even if they don't want to go back and change previous effects, they could have (and should have) started changing them from the moment they said they were looking into a colourblind mode.

Visual noise and flashing lights have also been something players have been talking about for years yet nothing has happened.

Run things by actually disabled people (not advocates as a lot of advocates aren't disabled themselves unless they're part of a group for disabled people run by disabled people). Not all disabilities can be accounted for, especially as there's such a range even with specific disabilities, but that doesn't mean not to bother adding options at all. You don't throw up your hands and say there's no reason to try because there's "no silver bullet" that works for everyone.

I'm so sorry you're dealing with that, OP. At this point it seems like a lot of design decisions are about cutting through the visual/audio noise which further adds to it, or devs deciding something was boring and to "spice it up" or they figure out how to make the engine do something new and overuse it (such as the spinning effect in LW4 where your character is pulled in circles) regardless how it will affect players.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, XiraMint.3162 said:

Are you certain there isn't a 3rd party app out there that might be allowed?  I don't know about this particular condition, but it seems to me there are some shader apps that are widely used.  Just in case, also consider that while Anet will (from my very limited personal experience) go out of its way never to appear to actively approve of 3rd party apps and thus they may not offer you any certainty, that does not mean that they are against them all either.  

The only option for that is ReShade, a thing to understand with colorblindness with the typical "Color Filters" is that it won't change much if the design has been chosen specifically.
If you have a Red Telegraph on a Red Ground (Protan) or Green on Green (Deutan (my case)), the color filtering will not matter as those filters tend to just replace a tint into another, the signal that you supposed to receive to anticipate or distinguish will still blend the same. Hence why Color Correction Option might be more useful, being able to say: a good AoE is Blue, while a bad one is Flashy Red. As currently the design of the aoe just ain't working well for the Protan/Deutan people. There is another colorblindness "Trianopia" which is the confusion of the "Blues and the Yellows", and Color Correting would help us set the game to our needs.

20 minutes ago, XiraMint.3162 said:

Sadly I don't know what could be done for motion sickness.  But if changing colors helps and your choice is between not playing the expac at all or placing your bets on some 3rd party app being allowed, there you are I guess.  Hope you find something that works!

For motion sickness the only way is to reduce the clutter and the movement of camera.
I have disabled camera shakes, but especially for that Bug that locks us on place and tries to jiggle us out, that should be a bug valid to focus on fixing.

The Revenant Sword 3 ("Negative Speed") that lock you in a wall, from my learnings today also happen with all the "warping/phasing in and out" skills. It also occurs on weird mobile collisions. (NPC you phase through them, same goes with the regular non-partied/squadded Skiffs; so why does party Skiff have one, that makes slightly less sense). Also some displacement abilities by mobs is going to do the same. I have tried to do the Echovald Boss (the one that keep badly spinning you around), between those spins and also the absolutely disgusting random OHKO slam. That was not good for motions sickness people. Especially that I have my motion blur off.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Zephire.8049 said:

Run things by actually disabled people (not advocates as a lot of advocates aren't disabled themselves unless they're part of a group for disabled people run by disabled people). Not all disabilities can be accounted for, especially as there's such a range even with specific disabilities, but that doesn't mean not to bother adding options at all. You don't throw up your hands and say there's no reason to try because there's "no silver bullet" that works for everyone.

The Stats are easily misunderstood, as we are 300 millions on this planet to be Colorblind.
Fair we are several billions on Earth but the number is still rather large. (Especially in a sample of 350,000~ account on GW2Efficiency. The odds are strong still in that case.)

HoT has been relatively fine except Auric Basin's Golden Aura, which has brought me a lot of confusion at times.
But the moment when it really hit me hard was the Dragon Response Missions of the Icebrood Saga, where I would apparently spend most of the mission hitting rocks and decor rather than the mobs because I couldn't see them inside the clutter.
And with EoD with all the "Jade" is just a nightmare.

(Reposting because the Quote didn't matched)

1 minute ago, Blue D Phoenix.7260 said:

Colour blind or not, i wouldn't recommend playing the expansion in a dark room. It is too kitten bright, had put a strain on my eye and gave me a headache. Even the so called night time in the city map is bright. But i do like the overall designs.

That's fair, I normally always have 3 lamps on when I play, as I know the effects.

Apart from you tossing your lunch because of the colours,

I would have to agree. This expac from my POV fails at.

Meta Events (No, not because its not hard) it has no real reward
Elite specs are fundamentally terrible
It feels like I have less things to do now than I did back in POF launch
WvW and Spvp ignored.
Raids (Lol)
Strikes (Lol)
The world feels extremely empty, and not because of the server issues.
The jade bot is probably one of the biggest wastes of developer time and its forced down your throat
Boats are cool I guess.
Fishing should have been brought in about 5 years ago with a living story
The map designs are extremely bad, Even with Gliders and mounts the maps just feel like the map designers decided to  hire a 4 year old to play line rider while going through a sugar rush.

If I don't want to do map exploration I have no reason log in.

Edited by Reflex.5286
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Hi everyone, I have tritan colorblind, different from OP I can't see blue and yellows are completely wrong for me, so everything is strange in the game for me (I'm just a 33 old dude that got used to it)

Even having no problem at all at identifying stuff in the game nor does having motion sickness I would love to see accessibility options for my kind of problem, at the moment I use DaltonizeFX (through ReShade) while that does not happen, not the greatest solution, but works very nice for me.

ps: I have the glasses to "fix" my vision (expensive gift from parents, I was saving money to buy it, and then they offered to give it to me) but I'm not used to those all the time yet, I would say they worth 100% seeing colors is awsome

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dallabr.5193 said:

Hi everyone, I have tritan colorblind, different from OP I can't see blue and yellows are completely wrong for me, so everything is strange in the game for me (I'm just a 33 old dude that got used to it)

Even having no problem at all at identifying stuff in the game nor does having motion sickness I would love to see accessibility options for my kind of problem, at the moment I use DaltonizeFX (through ReShade) while that does not happen, not the greatest solution, but works very nice for me.

ps: I have the glasses to "fix" my vision (expensive gift from parents, I was saving money to buy it, and then they offered to give it to me) but I'm not used to those all the time yet, I would say they worth 100% seeing colors is awsome

Glad to meet another fellow that share a spectrum of my condition.
I did looked into those glasses because I was shunned by this community about 2 years ago when I was concerned about the lack of this accessibilty options (Approximatively about when the DRMs Started actually).

And yeah they would be super useful, if the price would be hella cheaper, I'm not about to cut myself an arm and my two legs to get a pair I'm afraid. (I have a double reinforced frame already as it is.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, KurokouNekoki.7891 said:

Glad to meet another fellow that share a spectrum of my condition.
I did looked into those glasses because I was shunned by this community about 2 years ago when I was concerned about the lack of this accessibilty options (Approximatively about when the DRMs Started actually).

And yeah they would be super useful, if the price would be hella cheaper, I'm not about to cut myself an arm and my two legs to get a pair I'm afraid. (I have a double reinforced frame already as it is.)

I bought mine from a company called Pilestone, much better prices than Enchroma, even though Enchroma is the "best known", I recommend taking a look at it, for me (who live in Brazil) it costs about 200 dollars total

• Like 1

Yeah this is a interesting topic for me.  I'm red/green color blind (the most common form of color blindness) and for me I just have a hard time telling red from green.   So using a lot of red and green as important indicators like circles of what might be good or bad does cause me issues at times. 

Then of course there is the issue of bright flashing lights.  It doesn't affect me really but I do find them obnoxious at times.   But people have been complaining about it for years.   I recall one story instance, I don't remember what season, but the entire story instance was a huge series of bright flashing explosions all over the place or something like that.    I do remember several complaints about it though. 

I understand that Anet can't design their game around every disability or people with certain visual issues.  But it seems like they don't even try sometimes to at least work around some of the more common issues.    I know it is not cost effective for them to go back and change old content to alleviate some of these problems but it would be nice if they put more consideration into it in future content. 

Edited by JustTrogdor.7892
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, JustTrogdor.7892 said:

Yeah this is a interesting topic for me.  I'm red/green color blind (the most common form of color blindness) and for me I just have a hard time telling red from green.   So using a lot of red and green as important indicators like circles of what might be good or bad does cause me issues at times. 

Then of course there is the issue of bright flashing lights.  It doesn't affect me really but I do find them obnoxious at times.   But people have been complaining about it for years.   I recall one story instance, I don't remember what season, but the entire story instance was a huge series of bright flashing explosions all over the place or something like that.    I do remember several complaints about it though. 

I understand that Anet can't design their game around every disability or people with certain visual issues.  But it seems like they don't even try sometimes to at least work around some of the more common issues.    I know it is not cost effective for them to go back and change old content to alleviate some of these problems but it would be nice if they put more consideration into it in future content. 

Are you Protan or Deutan?
I'm personally a Deutan (absence of Greens which turns into Reds shades)
We have a Tritan, all we would miss, if you were a Protan; would be a Mono (complete absence of colors) (which honestly sucks the most).

Have you guys tried using the color filter settings in Windows? They're designed to be system wide and are meant for colorblind. You can find it under accessibility. I'm curious if that works or not, I tested and could see a color difference in game but I'm not colorblind, so I can't really say.

2 minutes ago, Kyithios.6124 said:

Have you guys tried using the color filter settings in Windows? They're designed to be system wide and are meant for colorblind. You can find it under accessibility. I'm curious if that works or not, I tested and could see a color difference in game but I'm not colorblind, so I can't really say.

As I mentionned previously, color filters doesn't matter if the design chosen is problematic to begin with. And Sadly the Design is quite problematic. I don't think I need to present the first EoD Map as an example. Even a normal person without colorblindness would have some troubles to see, so a person with colorblindness just forget about finding what you are looking for.