Do I really have to pay MORE for enjoying the story?

So besides the expansions, a newcomer has to pay 1265 gems in order to follow the story? Come on, this is hilarious. How can this be a thing? These stories should come with the expacs. This is disencouraging. I don't want to farm for 50 hours to get a storyline..

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 4

It is a weird hole they’ve dug for themselves with the Living World. They really should have included prior chapters with each expansion. But apparently they’re still making enough money that whoever’s in charge of monetization wants to keep it that way.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ian.8439 said:

So besides the expansions, a newcomer has to pay 1265 gems in order to follow the story? Come on, this is hilarious. How can this be a thing? These stories should come with the expacs. This is disencouraging. I don't want to farm for 50 hours to get a storyline..

or .... you buy them for 8€/USD each when they are discounted ....

even with minimal wage it's only 1 hour "IRL farming" of your life

unless you're 12 years old i don't see you how these packs are expensive

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 13

14 minutes ago, ugrakarma.9416 said:

i dont think so, the content is very eyecandy.

I mean I've seen people first hand quit because of it. I've unlocked it from releases so it hasn't effected me personally yet other than that it helps assist in the impossibility of getting any friends interested in this game pretty much ever.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

They just had an event where they were rereleasing them for free...I doubt they will give em away any time soon, it's a weird concept but I'm not bothered by it on my end. If they do somehow decide to give it away for free they're going to have to find a way to compensate the folks that bought it with gems.

• Like 1

It still makes me wonder why they gave it for free, a lot of new maps, cool new items, new mounts, new mastery line, etc all they gave for free just cause u logged in on that week. A lot of effort was put in it. Plus its cheap to buy, 200gems for one chapter gives u access to a new map and possibly a new way of making gold, but the cost of a stupid gizzmo is 800gems! (talking about the instruments) 

Edited by Blue D Phoenix.7260
  • Confused 1

They also literally gave them all away for free this past year starting in June, all you had to do was log in.

Each season is like an expansion itself combined though 6 maps for most. 1200 gems is like 15 bucks not a whole lot of money for the amount of content you're getting. 

Edited by Walle.6045
  • Like 6
  • Confused 2

30 minutes ago, Walle.6045 said:

Each season is like an expansion itself combined though 6 maps for most. 1200 gems is like 15 bucks not a whole lot of money for the amount of content you're getting. 

And let's remember that there is NO SUBSCRIPTION FEE WHATSOEVER for this game.  

Buying DLC items is a thing in other games (like Elder Scrolls Online) and there's no reason why it shouldn't be here, for a game that doesn't have a subscription.

• Like 10
  • Confused 4

I wonder how much of the disgruntlement about having to use gems to get story chapters occurs because they were free during the release period?  Or, would the complainers complain on the ESO forums about having to either pay for DLC or pay the "optional" sub fee?

That said, I would have no heartburn if ANet bundled the Living Story chapters with the expansions.  However, if they did so and charged more, or didn't bundle HoT w/ PoF, doubtless there would be complaints about that.

• Like 2

Why is it hilarious. To play 1 year of WoW, you're playing $180 plus the price of the game and WoW still sells expansions and has a cash shop on top of that. Same with Final Fantasy XIV.  

So this game does it differently. It rewards loyal players for being here and logging in, and charges new players for what are essentially mini expansions.  But when you add up everything the living story costs in cash, with the price of WoW for a year, You'll find everything that's come out since launch is actually cheaper than a year of WoW. And then you get the living stories for free by logging in after.

If you do the math, you can buy the super duper pack for $99 with the core game (which we paid $60 for btw), with HOT (which we paid $60 btw), with POF (which we paid $30) btw and EOD (which is another $30). You get all that for 99 plus 4000 gems which is enough to get the vast majority of the living story.  That's three expansions and the living story for a bit more than half a year of WoW or Final Fantasy or all the content in the game.

I'm not really sure why that's hilarious. It seems like a good deal when you break it down.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

46 minutes ago, IndigoSundown.5419 said:

I wonder how much of the disgruntlement about having to use gems to get story chapters occurs because they were free during the release period?  Or, would the complainers complain on the ESO forums about having to either pay for DLC or pay the "optional" sub fee?

That said, I would have no heartburn if ANet bundled the Living Story chapters with the expansions.  However, if they did so and charged more, or didn't bundle HoT w/ PoF, doubtless there would be complaints about that.

For what it's worth the people I've talked to about it didn't know or care that it was free at one point, they were just caught by surprise because they thought they'd already bought all the content and now found "the story" is seperate. It's not an unusual business model to have both expansion packs and seperate paid DLC but the terminology (and the fact that each releases ties into the ones before and after instead of being a stand-alone storyline) seems to trip people up.

Elder Scrolls Online does a very similar thing - each year they release 1 'chapter' (expansion pack) and 3 DLCs and they all tie into a 'year long story' which means you need to buy all of it to get the full storyline, but I almost never see people complaining about it like we get with the Living World. As far as I can tell the difference is ESO calls it DLC which is a term familiar to a lot of people, and their website is full of mentions of DLC or adverts for the subscription (which includes access to DLC).

By contrast it's easy to look through the GW2 website and buy the game with the impression that if you get HoT, PoF and EoD you've got the entire game. There's information on the Living World - but only under that name which doesn't make it clear it's paid DLC (the release pages even advertise the expansions as if that's all that's required to get it). It's sometimes only when someone's bought the expansions, completed the personal story and looks at what to do next that they're told they have to pay more to play the full storyline in order, and at that point it comes as a nasty shock.

I don't necessarily think they should make the Living World free (although I wouldn't object if they did, I got most of it free so it's not like I can complain) but I think they should at least make it clear there is more to buy after getting the 3 expansions. Make it more explicit that the Living World is paid DLC (which could be as simple as calling it DLC) and maybe offer an additional pack which allows players to pay for the expansions and the Living World seasons all in one. Even if they choose not to buy that version having it available makes it clear there is more to buy.

Edited by Danikat.8537
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 8

1265 gems is what... 15 bucks? Like i get shelling more money always suck, i"m not some hedge-fund kid disconeted from the value of money either but when i look what the rest of the industry does it doesn't seem that bad.

You looked at Gran Turismo 7? That was a bummer, wanted to play this game forever but its either grind hundred of hours or empty your wallet.

I'll take the LWS model anyday.

Edited by Ashgar.3024
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

Cheap or not. OP does make a point. 

The game is advertised on the base game + 3 expansions. When you buy "the complete pack" its still weird that it is not complete. 

Better to make the complete pack 15 euro more expensive with the living story unlock. Than only base game + expansions. 

The living story stories cant be missed. So its not just an side story dlc. It is actually a main story dlc. If they were separate side stories then this would be much different. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

32 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

The game is advertised on the base game + 3 expansions. When you buy "the complete pack" its still weird that it is not complete. 

Better to make the complete pack 15 euro more expensive with the living story unlock. Than only base game + expansions. 

The living story stories cant be missed. So its not just an side story dlc. It is actually a main story dlc. If they were separate side stories then this would be much different. 

Yes, it's definitely strange from that standpoint and makes it downright hard to follow the story. Bare minimum as I suggested in the suggestions megathread before, I think they should have a recap you can do for each season like they did for season 1.

And also, re: cheap or not, I would say it's def not cheap. It's a static cost that never goes on sale or decreases over time or is added to a package deal, AFAIK, which on that level alone makes it more pricey.

I understand they want to encourage people to be there to experience Living World, not just do the MMO thing some do of showing up for content and then leaving, but surely there is a better way than nickel and diming those who aren't logged in at the right time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

The actual combined price for all LW seasons is 4000 gems or 50 €/$ assuming you buy the bundles. If you buy them chapter by chapter, they are 5000 gems altogether. Considering that the expansion pack sells for ~50 €/$ as well, you only get half of the game in case you are new to GW2.

Since Anet doesn't have some sort of a fixed schedule for more "return to" events, we don't know when or if the old LW chapters will be available for free again.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

ESO does an optional subscription that is a package of things people could get on their own but totaled it gives you 1650 crowns a month, unlimited material storage and access to all dlc released. I don't pay a sub in ESO, but a ton of people do simply because of it's dollar to rewards value. GW2 could try that and see how many people prefer to get DLC that way instead of buying each season.

Edited by Redfeather.6401
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Yes, it's definitely strange from that standpoint and makes it downright hard to follow the story. Bare minimum as I suggested in the suggestions megathread before, I think they should have a recap you can do for each season like they did for season 1.

And also, re: cheap or not, I would say it's def not cheap. It's a static cost that never goes on sale or decreases over time or is added to a package deal, AFAIK, which on that level alone makes it more pricey.

I understand they want to encourage people to be there to experience Living World, not just do the MMO thing some do of showing up for content and then leaving, but surely there is a better way than nickel and diming those who aren't logged in at the right time.

Living World Seasons actually do go on sale from time to time, in addition to the 20% discount when buying as a bundle.

• Like 2