Why is the griffon so expensive?

10 minutes ago, Alcatraznc.3869 said:

I would like a proof to back up that claim because it is simply wrong.

Comparing Skyscale to Griffon is like comparing a helicopter to a jet. Skyscale is indeed arguably better for exploration since you can glide and climb but Griffon is much better at traversing map when starting from a high ground.  So yeah, you will not see people use the skyscale when all they have to do is glide a bit and climb some rocks. But if you have the high ground and you have to reach a location very fast, Griffon will be used over Skyscale.

Plus Skyscale isnt really fun to use. It does its job perfectly but it isnt fun. Griffon on the other hand is fun to use

I get more griffon use for lots of reasons, not least of which because its fast compared to the lumbering skyscale...but the reality is that the vast majority of players in PvE events since LW4 have been on skyscales. Most likely because for any mindless meta event (i.e., 99% of them), you can literally switch brain off and follow the train on a scale, which you can't do anywhere near as easily on the griffon.

On top of that, the scale has replaced the bunny entirely, which is another role the griffon can't easily fulfill. 

Griffon has limited but excellent functionality, like the beetle. Locking it behind a big gold bounty is silly at this point in the game.

• Confused 3

On 3/8/2022 at 4:41 PM, Labjax.2465 said:

I was trying to save for working on a legendary and now I gotta choose between that and this 250g on top of the rest of the collection. First you send me on an easter egg hunt, then I realize the easter bunny is gonna come knocking asking for its cut, that's messed up. Blink twice if you're being held hostage by the easter bunny mafia for gambling debts, Anet. I will send a crack spec ops team of my best 1,000 skritt to come rescue you.

I just wanted to fly and swoop and dive and zoom around like I've seen in a video of what this thing can do if you use it cleverly. T_T I think 50g would be much more grounded and reasonable. It's not really a free flying mount anyway, right, so the prices soaring so high is a bit on the unreasonable side. The next highest I'm aware of in Path of Fire is 20g for the Jackal, so since this a special hidden mount, I think 50g would be ok for a jump up, good for a dive from 250g. And then you can refund the people who paid full price for it already.

Like I said tho, LMK if the easter bunny is holding you hostage. I won't be able to help if you're being held in a roost somewhere cause I don't have a griffon, but I can offer my sympathies.

idk how you reply to specific people in forums, but here we go... so, if it was brand new, i would agree that 250 gold is a little steep, but then Skyscale came out, and i would have rather paid 250 gold and do a few quick collection hunts, than the month long torture that was the Skyscale grind (inb4 someone says they did it in 3 days, i admire your patience to dedicate 12 hours a day to a single thing).

considering that flying mounts nearly make gliding obsolete, i think they wanted to make them feel like a total pain to unlock, either monetarily, or time-wise.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 year later...

3 hours to get a group for the elemental boss. The chaining of events is a nightmare made flesh, hardly anyone does this stuff anymore.

The older players always have it, and have moved onto new farming grounds. New player have no hope of getting it easy, its going to take weeks of camping maps for the stupid events to take place and be in place to grab them. Better hope it shows up in a daily, so play all day every day without fail.

The money is easy, 250 is nothing if you want it, its a clear goal you can get in a few different ways. But those events, well, the players who might help you are busy telling people its ok that old content just sort of dies and new players are turned away with the gulf of things that are much harder as those maps are mostly dead these days (handful of newbies are not going to cut it).

So sit in guilds, sit in map chats, pester as hard as you can, and get a mount that you feel was a waste of time when you could just play a better game that isnt 10 years worth of build up with no interest in serving new players. Part of the reason I stopped playing before was watching PVP die, this is just the far slower PVE death. Handy all the vets who complain about how people should just do it, they can sit around and talk about how dead the game is and blame ANET. Good job.

• Sad 1

First of all, the collection that requires the 250g was never meant to be done all once... hence why it's divided in parts that you spend 25g at a time.

Now, 25g at a time isn't a lot in the current days.. gold is easy to make, the problem is that people on this game want liquid gold as rewards PLUS everything else that they get, and that is not how this game works. It will toss you a coin or two in specific events like Dragonstorm, but the majority of the gold you will make in this game is by selling your materials. And that is where the problem lies with players that complain about the cost of things.. they don't sell the things they get and complain that they don't have gold for anything.

Even if you do want to hold your materials for who knows what reason, the Wizard's Vault made it even easier to have gold.. if you just do your dailies/weeklies you can get the raw gold that you want for your collection and more.

I think the price of the bird is steep but fair. It's not essential for map traversal like the bun, raptor and skimmer are.

Since the griffin was the sole reason I even gave this game another shot after trying it for all of 5 minutes the year before and hating how old the game looked. Thanks to WoW dragonflight leading to comparisons to griffon flying on reddit! 

When I started I kept every penny for the bird once I researched how much it would cost me. Took me a few months since I was working through the story slowly as well but it was so great to finally get my birby in the end ^^ 

Like any bigger goal it's jus done slowly with time or if you were laser focused like I was it could be a bit quicker. I was just selling literally everything I got till I got the gold for the griffon. 

Now though I sell fewer things since I know what I might need later but I am still sitting on a decent lump of raw gold with that and I'm not playing much lately.

If you want the mount get it, if you want to get the legendary do that and get the mount later.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1