Did you like the story?

I liked it as it was really well done, but I don't play mmorpgs for a singular linear story so I liked it for a single player rpg game. For an mmorpg I would have prefered something else.

ESO has the best world building storytelling. A mire of conflicting accounts that add up to noise and somewhere in that noise are fragments of a truth and foreshadowing of what's to come. That makes the world feel vast.

Edited by Redfeather.6401
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

No.
EoD story for some reason takes 20 steps back, only manages to be better than the worse story package, that is LWS2. 
Not only they force their fanfiction, now even the ambient NPC talks like teenage schoolgirls when the world is practically minutes from destruction. I'm all for diversity, but the political correctness has been tuned to 100 to a point its not only an annoyance, but became the writers attempt at satire. If Postal was to make fun of "being offensive", then End of Dragons is the exact opposite of being extremist in PC. Oh wow, human drama where everything is just disagreements, and here we have female Jeff Bezos that is a god prodigy basically got a deus ex technology but still being dumb as hell, and all of this would not happened if we "didn't misunderstand her intentions".
Not to mention they managed to write a worse antagonist than Mary Sue Scarlet who knows everything. This villain's motivation is basically an edgy Nine Inch Nails fan that is just there for the sake of padding. As if, the whole story is a stringed LWS scraps and drafts, sewn together into a frankenstein plot for the expansion. 
Don't get me started on the writers trying to modernize the dialogue. 

All in all, EoD story is probably the worst writing, only a step above LWS2 garbage fire. The whole thing reads like a badly written fanfiction. I always had low hopes with GW2 story and I would lower my standards, but based on past releases, IBS is still pretty good on its own right albeit having to be slapped with rushed ending, LWS3 feels very mysterious and intriguing, LWS4 feels very good with enjoyable villain (which they had to remove from the story halfway through because the writers hate it when players enjoy a good character once in a while). EoD is just kitten poor attempt at comedy-adventure, ended up making the franchise look like a Barbie movie joke even if the devs insists its a 10 year dragon saga conclusion.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 15
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 14

No, it was a disappointment. 

It wasn't even the political stand point they used that made the story bad, but the story itself. 

The great first dragon that gave birth to several other dragons, was easily "killed" by an asura, canthas didn't even take it seriously that a dragon which gave them jade, is gone, rather spent on their own political issues. Unlike the fight against the death, Crystal and plant dragons where everyone showed the fear towards the dragon and the fight meant something, this void dragon fight was meh. 

Even in the last map, the preparations was not indulging enough.

Overall the story is 5/10,u can play through once. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, keramatzmode.1906 said:

No.
EoD story for some reason takes 20 steps back, only manages to be better than the worse story package, that is LWS2. 
Not only they force their fanfiction, now even the ambient NPC talks like teenage schoolgirls when the world is practically minutes from destruction. I'm all for diversity, but the political correctness has been tuned to 100 to a point its not only an annoyance, but became the writers attempt at satire. If Postal was to make fun of "being offensive", then End of Dragons is the exact opposite of being extremist in PC. Oh wow, human drama where everything is just disagreements, and here we have female Jeff Bezos that is a god prodigy basically got a deus ex technology but still being dumb as hell, and all of this would not happened if we "didn't misunderstand her intentions".
Not to mention they managed to write a worse antagonist than Mary Sue Scarlet who knows everything. This villain's motivation is basically an edgy Nine Inch Nails fan that is just there for the sake of padding. As if, the whole story is a stringed LWS scraps and drafts, sewn together into a frankenstein plot for the expansion. 
Don't get me started on the writers trying to modernize the dialogue. 

All in all, EoD story is probably the worst writing, only a step above LWS2 garbage fire. The whole thing reads like a badly written fanfiction. I always had low hopes with GW2 story and I would lower my standards, but based on past releases, IBS is still pretty good on its own right albeit having to be slapped with rushed ending, LWS3 feels very mysterious and intriguing, LWS4 feels very good with enjoyable villain (which they had to remove from the story halfway through because the writers hate it when players enjoy a good character once in a while). EoD is just kitten poor attempt at comedy-adventure, ended up making the franchise look like a Barbie movie joke even if the devs insists its a 10 year dragon saga conclusion.

Eod can be named "nostalgia festa", to me seems a desperate move.

im not against nostalgia itself, but why bring back LS1 garbage? the drama at Mai Trin is good, but for god sakes, bury Scarlet, LS1, LS2, deserts, once for all. at some point i have feel that we will have a mawdrey collection to complete after history.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Really liked the frst half and characters like Rama and Joon. The second half again falls short, but we had tat with PoF and HoT as well and I think it's still the best second half so far. You see, and I don't know why this is still a thing, in the beginning there's time and care taken for getting to know your characters, getting to know the places, the stakes and so on. And then suddenly, everything has to go super fast and we move across whole maps without getting to stop until we're at the end aaaaaaaaaand credits. Was the same with the Desolation in PoF and Dragon's Stand in HoT and I don't know, if the writers don't see this happening or if it's an artistic choice.
Overall I'd say the story is good, in fact good enough to make the missing parts or the "what could have been"s stand out more. Still a complimnet to the writing team imho.

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

No. I thought the story was tedious and boring, just a long slog to plod through. That might be because I've been a sci fi/fantasy fan since the 1950s. As a kid, I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Dune came out when I was sixteen and I immediately fell in love with it. These days I consider the first three Game of Thrones books to be my gold standard of storytelling. (I don't even want to remember the fifth GoT book or the last season of the tv series.) Can a video game even come close to that kind of storytelling? I don't know about other games, but GW2 doesn't, at least not for me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

I liked it a lot for GW2 standards, so I say it is pretty good overall. Is it SWTOR or FF14 level? No, it is not, but I never expect it to be because each game has their own way of telling stories. And for GW2, I say it is good in my book giving it a 7/10. Do I feel it was a little short? Sure, but to me that is no reason to reduce points. I also don't look at stories through political eyes. Instead, I see stories as just stories, so I do take the ones that do with a grain of salt. Overall, it was a fun journey which is all that matters in my opinion. 🙂

Edited by Doctor Hide.6345
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

No. I thought the story was tedious and boring, just a long slog to plod through. That might be because I've been a sci fi/fantasy fan since the 1950s. As a kid, I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Dune came out when I was sixteen and I immediately fell in love with it. These days I consider the first three Game of Thrones books to be my gold standard of storytelling.

Oh my. If we started to compare GW2's quality of story-telling to those giants, it would inevitably fall short. At least, EoD was a true gem compared to most of GW2's story-telling qualities in the past (with some noteworthy exceptions, like PoF or big parts of Season 4 - but even those don't quite compare).

I loved every bit of EoD's story and think that the writers (and devs who designed the story missions) did an excellent job. The dramatic composition was perfect; the flow, the buildup and the climax were on point. The cinematographical work was also quite remarkable. I think they did everything right this time.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

Well i like the story, the only saving grace of all the mess going on around 7/10 for me. Although i feel like it a bit rushed but that's ok the quality is there and for some reason i really can't get the epilogue out of my head....nice touch even though its not my favor.

Imo i would rate story 4/10

Alot of things make no sense. Alot of things are missing

1)Joon single handed invent the jade tech.  Yet some random pirate could entry without anyone noticing and remove her her control over mainframe.

2)Joon tries to murder commander over few line of arguments(she really killed me once)

3)taimi get jade infused suit...which we have no part in it.. How is her illness???

4)a lot of character just pop out and have no story nor role.  Like Yao, Fa..i dont even remember the names..

5)alot of dialog we can't skip.  Very boring when repeating these quest

Alots of thing get left hanging.  As lot of people get left out...i still think Joon is the evil mastermind...

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

Like the story a lot. I’d like a bit more on the Kurzick and Luxon conquests, perhaps some underground resistance stuff. Does neatly end the elder dragon story tbf. Curious to see what’s next. Perhaps the human gods come for revenge re Balthazar.

I really liked the story, it's the best storytelling that arenanet have done so far. tapped into things that i'm naturally inclined to love so i'm biased that way, but honestly the whole experience was great for me. i'm excited for what comes next. been wanting to finish these story elements for a while now. gw2 has so much more to offer story wise so i'd love to see it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

2 hours ago, TheLadyOfTheRings.9148 said:

Did you like the End of Dragons story? What are your thoughts?

Yes, I enjoyed the story. I only ever really cared about the story in GW2, everything else is just a bonus to me. EoD was quick yes, but the story was full of emotion and even the finale had me in tears. It's simple, but an effective ending to the Dragon saga.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, decease.3215 said:

according to Rama. Jade tech have npthing to do with asua.  Why would an asua pirate able to hack the system so easy?

Because Mai Trin had infiltrated Joon's organization as a spy, and therefore she and the Aetherblades had knowledge of the system.

Did you not play the story before posting an evaluation of it? 😄

Edited by Ashantara.8731
typo
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Oh my. If we started to compare GW2's quality of story-telling to those giants, it will inevitably fall short. At least, EoD was a true gem compared to most of GW2's story-telling qualities in the past (with some noteworthy exceptions, like PoF or big parts of Season 4 - but even those don't quite compare).

I loved every bit of EoD's story and think that the writers (and devs who designed the story missions) did an excellent job. The dramatic composition was perfect; the flow, the buildup and the climax were on point. The cinematographical work was also quite remarkable. I think they did everything right this time.

For your sake, I'm glad you loved the EoD story that much. It's always nice to find things one enjoys like that. As for me, I hadn't thought about it before but story telling has never been a big selling point of video games for me. I've been playing video game rpgs since the days of Shadowrun on Supernintendo and SegaGenesis. Just now, it took me quite a while to think of any video game story that I particularly liked. That would be Final Fantasy VII and VIII. I liked their stories but didn't love them on the level you are expressing for EoD. That's fine in my book though. Different strokes for different folks and all that. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Because Mai Trin had infiltrated Joon's organization as a spy, and therefore she and the Aetherblades had knowledge of the system.

Did you not play the story before posting an evaluation of it? 😄

Which part of the story suggest Mai share all theae knowledge with her crew?   

Mai certainly look up to Joon, i dont think she would.  Definitely not Ankka.  I dont see etherblade use jade tech.  Please correct me if am wrong.  All through the story etherblade use Asua tech.  Ivan is a holosmith

Are youn telling me that etherblade could master jade tech without even use it? 

Also Mai never have any sort of plan to infiltrate the reactor.  Why would she share this? 

P.s. complete the story twice.  Didnt miss a line of dialog

Edited by decease.3215
  • Like 2

No, it was horrendous.

Even with very little shown in trailers i managed to guess three of the major plot points ( mai trin being good, dsd being good, and the main issue being dragon magic almaganations.) Story felt like it had no substance - lacking a major villan for most of the story. Honestly would say its worse than campions, whole thing feels like a rushed retcon where the writers disregarded lore built up since gw1 because they have become bored of the dragon cycle story. Playing through all previous story episodes ( especially the ones in ls4) it felt like there was actual emotion behind the characters - like the end of all or nothing. Obviously character devlopment ( specifically for soo-won and joon) was lacking due to the lack of a living world season to devlop them. I also dislike how the story has suddenly changed to some sort of hypermodern detective type thing and i can honestly say there was not a single suprising story moment for me.

• Like 10
  • Confused 2

liked it in general (more than hot/pof), but story feels rushed:

1. you meet this empress for 5mins and that's all her story done
  2. kunavang who?
  3. you meet ankka 3 times, and out of nowhere she's dead
  4. you meet soo-won 3 times, she goes from a shade thing to world destoryer
  5. the actual world destroyer final boss you meet and destroy in the same mission
  6. rox disppeard forever ago so dont care about her, braham is a bit braham, but wouldve liked to see more rytlock
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, decease.3215 said:

Which part of the story suggest Mai share all theae knowledge with her crew?   

Mai certainly look up to Joon, i dont think she would.  Definitely not Ankka.  I dont see etherblade use jade tech.  Please correct me if am wrong.  All through the stort etherblade use Asua tech.  Ivan is a holosmith

Are youn telling me that etherblade could master jade tech without even use it? 

Joon and Mai were close, and therefore Mai certainly had plenty of chances to do proper spy work. Ankka was pursuing her own goals for a long time, while also preparing the mutiny; she certainly did her own spy work on Mai Trin.

So there was plenty of opportunity to hack the system and leave their own backdoor virus for later use.

• Confused 3