Pls remove the story completion requirement for Specialization weapon collection

16 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

So is it the final fight that triggers it? I played through the story on my Holosmith and forgot about trying to switch it to Mechanist right at the end. So I replayed the Cycle Reborn, both the arborstone celebration and the small gathering afterward, but no credit. I take it I really need to do the final fight of The Only One to actually get the collection item?

You do not have to play the new elite spec, just the core class or any of its specializations that is connected to it. While the hint in the ingame collection is worded "As a mechanist, complete the End of Dragons storyline." etc. it was probably supposed to say engineer instead (as it does in the wiki and both HoT and PoF specialization collections for similar items). So for example i played the EoD story as a reaper and still got credit for Harbringer's Feat.

Not sure which story step triggers it, if it was the final fight or the gathering at arborstone. But as has been stated before you have to get to the story step in question yourself and have it as your active story while doing it. You can't just join another player's instance unless it is also your active story.

(You do of course have to unlock the collection first by skilling at least the first step of the elite spec, which apparently you do.)

Edited by volpenvieh.3201
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

On 3/10/2022 at 1:35 PM, Gorem.8104 said:

Jade bots being Character bound and unskippable long dialogue sequences you need to complete 9 times kinda just shows how alt-unfriendly EoD is, which is weird as this game has always been Alt Friendly. 

Did a different team design this? 

for sure

GW2 used to be a fun game, EOD feels more like "another  K-MMORPG" without p2w items in gem store 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

So is it the final fight that triggers it? I played through the story on my Holosmith and forgot about trying to switch it to Mechanist right at the end. So I replayed the Cycle Reborn, both the arborstone celebration and the small gathering afterward, but no credit. I take it I really need to do the final fight of The Only One to actually get the collection item?

Are you sure the collection step isn't done? I did the story on both a soulbeast and a dragonhunter (one pof, one hot elite) and got the collection entries without problem at the end of "The Only One".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rasimir.6239 said:

Are you sure the collection step isn't done? I did the story on both a soulbeast and a dragonhunter (one pof, one hot elite) and got the collection entries without problem at the end of "The Only One".

I think that’s my problem. I hadn’t spent the hero points on mechanist at all, and played through the whole story. I unlocked mechanist and went through Cycle Reborn without it triggering. Looks like I’ll need to go repay the final fight of The Only One to get it. 

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, Neo Mortem.3627 said:

If we didn't have the story completion, we'd have to craft like one or two expensive weapons, do a meta for a rare drop on a weapon or try to buy said weapon for a high price on the TP. 

Not necessarily.  I wish it was like the Elite Spec Weapon collections in HoT and PoF.  Those took some time but you didn't have to do the entire story on all nine professions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HotDelirium.7984 said:

Are we sure its not to just kill the last story boss after the specialization is unlocked? Anyone know for sure?

In order to finish the collection for each elite spec there is an item requiring you to finish the End of Dragons story line. 

This requires you to finish the WHOLE story line. After the finial battle I received my credit for it. I didn’t have to do the bonus and credits scene. 

Currently there is no way to cheese and get credit for this item. 

I attempted to pull my friend into the final baffle instance through “replay for achievements option”. We did the final battle only (without finishing the whole story line on his character) 2 times attempting to get credit. 

So far only way to get credit towards this part of the achievement is actually finishing the EOD storyline from start to the final battle. 

This is really some crapola imo if you want to do all 9 collections for the weapons . I’ve currently completed the story fully on necro and thief. Halfway through my 3rd profrssion (Mesmer).

Someone here mentioned “reading the same book 9 times”- dang right. I don’t think it should be a requirement to play the whole story 9 times if you enjoy unlocking the weapons and collections. Boring!!!! 

I def feel anet could have been more creative. At least allow us to join someone else’s instance, anet, and get credit for completion of the last long battle! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I am sorry, but I really have problems to understand the mindset of some people.

Why do you think you are forced to rush 9 times  trough the story and this as fast as you can in only one week?

The achievments aren't going anywhere. You can easily complete them step by step, every few weeks a little bit and you are still done soon enough will all 9 collections.

• Like 1
  • Confused 8

8 minutes ago, Keymaster.7362 said:

I am sorry, but I really have problems to understand the mindset of some people.

Why do you think you are forced to rush 9 times  trough the story and this as fast as you can in only one week?

The achievments aren't going anywhere. You can easily complete them step by step, every few weeks a little bit and you are still done soon enough will all 9 collections.

I don't think that the concern is rushing the content.  It's having to repeat the content nine times, once for each profession, from start to finish.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, aspirine.6852 said:

I dont see the problem with finishing the MAIN STORY or an expansion for some nice awards.. How low can you go to try and get this removed..  

To be fair, it's not simply about finishing, but about finishing it on 9 different characters. That's quite a different beast (although I'll probably do it anyway, I really enjoy this story 😉 ).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Keymaster.7362 said:

I don't think I've read even my most favorite books or watched my top movies nine times.  I love the Lord of the Rings, and I think I've maybe read it seven times over the last thirty five years.

How long are you imagining we're spacing this content out to make it enjoyable enough to do it that many times?

For the record, I'm personally not that interested in getting all nine weapon skins. That mechanist mace is bizarre, and upgrades to even more bizarre. But I'm surprised at anyone saying it's reasonable to expect people to play through the story nine(!) times

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keymaster.7362 said:

I'm not rushing.  I'm about halfway through the story on one character and maybe a quarter of the way through on a second.  I'm in no hurry.  But the long droning dialog, which we can't skip, is mind-numbingly boring for me and I'm not doing it nine times.  Imagine being forced to sit through a 3- or 4-hour movie you hate NINE times, just to get a little popcorn.  No thanks, I don't want the popcorn that much.

If others truly love doing the same story nine times, I'm happy for them.  I'm glad they enjoy it so much, no sarcasm.  But it's not for me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

They should probably add one  "OR finish the Harvest Temple strike mission on this profession" as an alternative.

This is like the "you have to do WvW to get a legendary thing" but for the story, I get it but it turns from FUN to Chore if you have to do something you don't like to get something you like and for those saying do your chores, this is a game and games are supposed to be FUN.
Allot of players just play it for the story others prefer the mechanical aspects of the game and aren't so involved with the story so do  a strike is  more inline with them. One to three times people can go for the sake of completionism, 9 times pushing it way too much. The story is fine for 3 times maybe, not so much for 9 and there isn't much of anything new to discover after several goes at it.

Maybe Arenanet saw the  Return achievement as big success and it was fine addition to the game as something of a show rerun, and probably decided they like to do that plop it 9 times in the new expansion that is kinda lazy and too much of a good thing is a bad thing kind of deal.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Keymaster.7362 said:

The story has 0 repeatable value, took long, cannot skip dialogue and there is 0 difference between different classes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Witch of Doom.5739 said:

I'm not rushing.  I'm about halfway through the story on one character and maybe a quarter of the way through on a second.  I'm in no hurry.  But the long droning dialog, which we can't skip, is mind-numbingly boring for me and I'm not doing it nine times.  Imagine being forced to sit through a 3- or 4-hour movie you hate NINE times, just to get a little popcorn.  No thanks, I don't want the popcorn that much.

If others truly love doing the same story nine times, I'm happy for them.  I'm glad they enjoy it so much, no sarcasm.  But it's not for me.

Also you have to grind some hearts.

Just now, Keymaster.7362 said:

To be fair, this 9 collections are still 20 times faster than a single 'gift of exploration' World complete.

That is probably why people buy the leggies of the TP or ask other people to do it or stuff like that or go for the t2 leggies that cost more.

12 minutes ago, Keymaster.7362 said:

To be fair, this 9 collections are still 20 times faster than a single 'gift of exploration' World complete.

It depends on whether someone has mounts, their build, and if they follow a route. World completion was done by someone last summer in 9 hours. Also, the “20 times faster” is a hyperbole. 

Edited by mythical.6315

19 minutes ago, Keymaster.7362 said:

They might be faster, but they're linear, while in wvw you at least decide what you're doing and basically "create your content" (alongside your enemies). I don't think people would have a problem with "replaying the story" if the story was different almost every time they ""replay"" it.

18 minutes ago, Slowpokeking.8720 said:

The story has 0 repeatable value, took long, cannot skip dialogue and there is 0 difference between different classes.

^exactly this

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1