Anyone else feel like it's over?

White Kitsunee.4620

Like Guild wars 2 as a whole? Like we just had our epic conclusion and its time for something else? 

I kinda felt this way at the end of Season 4, but now I really feel it.

I know there are still alot of loose ends in the story but with the ending I kinda feel like this would be a good time to call it. At least for the story. I don't really want a LWS6.

How do you guys feel about the ending? How would you feel if the story took a break for a while. In favor of anet either just doing gameplay updates or working on something else, like another xpac, or a GW3 or a new game?

• Confused 4

If not for the devs repeatedly saying that GW2 wasn't over, and for the fact that they just opened a bunch of new hiring positions for GW2 (and, it would seem, for that UE4 project that seems to be starting up again), I'd possibly agree.

If ArenaNet wanted to end GW2, this is probably where it would be done. But it seems clear that they just wanted to end the Elder Dragon plot and go into new horizons with GW2, new stories that aren't a decade old, and not just abandon the gemstore cash and people's fashion warring.

• Like 6

I assume we get at least an living world season 6, which might deal with Joon searching for and finding a new energy source for all the jade trash.

I don't know what Arenanet could possibly do after that. Exploring yet-unvisited regions would be nice, but there'd have to be a fitting plot for that.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Fueki.4753 said:

I assume we get at least an living world season 6, which might deal with Joon searching for and finding a new energy source for all the jade trash.

I don't know what Arenanet could possibly do after that. Exploring yet-unvisited regions would be nice, but there'd have to be a fitting plot for 

One common idea is a return to interracial / international conflict after a long period where the theme was 'coming together for the greater good'. The Charr and Humans go back to their focus on military expansion. The Norn revert to being individualistic nomads. The Asura want to use everybody as test subjects. The Sylvari are the only ones who still try to unite people but nobody cares. The pact dissolves.

Maybe guilds (not the player run groups but the organisations from GW1's lore) return as prominent players. 

There are some benefits to smaller stories like that. People get tired of continuous world ending events. Besides, do you get stronger and stronger antagonists? Also, this removes Aurene from the equation. If the conflicts are between groups of mortals instead of against demons or evil gods or some terror from the deep then she is not likely to get involved and solve it. 

Personally I hope there is a mix of this idea I presented here plus things like exploration of the mists, exploration of ancient races and maybe new continents on Tyria, without necessary a new big bad. But then after season 6 because season 6 has to introduce more Cantha maps and maybe the Battle Isles and the Dominion of Winds. 

• Like 3

I don't see them going to "The races are going to fight each other" as the paths taken just would make such a revert feel stupid.

However, we do have unexplored regions of Cantha, the Jade Expanse, Old Kaineng (They constantly reference Raisu Palace so if we don't go there, I'll be shocked), that new landmass to the west of Cantha on the map... lots of unexplored and untouched regions around Tyria.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

MINOR SPOILERS FOR END OF DRAGONS

No, its not over. by a long shot. The Elder Dragon storyline ending was only one of many, many plots going on in the Guild Wars multiverse, and the whole reason everything from LWS3 to End of Dragons has been focused on finishing up not only the Elder Dragons storyline, but many storylines from GW1 as well, is so we can go to new horizons in the future without constantly dragging the past behind us.

This is one of the main reasons Elona and Cantha had to be out of the way, and that had nothing to do with EDs as they weren't even the primary antagonists. They were just subplots in the "The Human plotlines of Guild Wars are mostly done" arc. I only expect them to revisit this a bit more with some expansion in Cantha and with maybe the return of the Human Gods some day.

If you'll pay attention, every saga has been setting the stage for progression. Cantha was the final actor to join the play, so what we have to look forward to from here on out is the "modern world" of Tyria, for the first time in its entire history that we know of.

Did the story of our world end with the Industrial Revolution? No, it didn't, it keeps going.

Edited by Hannelore.8153
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

I don't see them going to "The races are going to fight each other" as the paths taken just would make such a revert feel stupid.

However, we do have unexplored regions of Cantha, the Jade Expanse, Old Kaineng (They constantly reference Raisu Palace so if we don't go there, I'll be shocked), that new landmass to the west of Cantha on the map... lots of unexplored and untouched regions around Tyria.

Maybe not war, but increasing tensions? I sure hope so. Maybe not actually at the top but organizations within the nations? A Norn 'group' that pleads for the Norn to leave the world stage and the life of cities to go back to wandering the wild for example and that in that way opposes the route Knut chose for his people. Or a Krytan organization that thinks Lion's Arch needs to be part of Kryta again. Things like that. With the people at various governments struggling to keep these groups in check. 

And like I said, if they go that route they should do so after season 6 because season 6 needs to explore Cantha and the aftermath of EoD more. 

I wonder if the next season will be more like the War in Kryta, Hearts of the North, Winds of change. A series of smaller scope epilogue type stories similar to those in GW1. There are a lot of stories they could cap off, like the Charr uniting under a new Khan Ur, the future of jade tech and Cantha, Elona now that Joko is gone, etc. These stories could pave the way for us to move into GW3 and what the state of the world will be there and hint at what the next big bad will be.

Edited by Swizzle.7982

i suspect the dragons got put aside because it was too liner the whole story was a long narrative that you need to play all part to get fully  look at how confused players get because they cant play Season 1 

now they can move to stories that more disconnected that anyone at any time can jump in and understand

As an aside i like the feeling if no incoming doom we have at the moment my character went home to the Applied Development Lab and put on her town clothes for the first time in forever petted her cats and will sit there until the next content dump (gives me time to try another profession)

Edited by dusanyu.4057

When the credits rolled, yeah, I felt like it was over. I got this hard-to-describe feeling that was part relief and part nostalgia, like I really had just finished a quest with my friends after a decade of hardship. Part of me almost hopes this is the end, because it's a good place to stop and I have a rare sense of closure about the whole thing.

However, I was sick of the Elder Dragons only a couple of years in when it became apparent they would dominate the plot for longer than all of Guild Wars 1's campaigns combined. Now that the dragon plot is finally over, I also felt something else. I felt this rush of excitement that now anything is possible. We can go anywhere and do anything and it can be large or small. The future almost feels brighter than ever before to me, because a weight has finally been lifted.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On the contrary. The team at times spoke directly about how difficult they made things for themselves by choosing inhumane and enormous villains. We're done with that and in the past villains who were not dragons were pretty good in GW2 - Scarlett comes to mind. GW2 writer team is finally unchained and I'm actually looking forward to what evil plot we're going to disrupt in the future.

That's another thing: the dragons were not actually evil

Spoiler

(with Jormag and Mordremoth being close though, at least from a Sylvari perspective), they simply do what they are created to do (Primordus is pretty much mindless) or are corrupted and out of control (at least Kralkatorik's main problem).

My expectations for EoD when starting the story going into Kaineng were different...

Spoiler

I guessed Joon to be the villain behind the villain with her hubris and arrogance. She did try to kill the commander and throw stuff at Taimi (luckily we needed her, the commander type justice is a death sentence for a lot less usually) while being obliviously wrong.

In Cantha there are multiple factions, specifically and notably the Purists, which don't have a finished story arc. There are a lot of possibilities here, anything from Ihn is actually a purist and makes her move all the way to Reiko is resurrected. I'm not sure what the plans for Dragon's Watch are, right now it's just Taimi, Gorrik and the commander. Maybe Rama and a Ayumi join us but in the past there always was an attempt to represent all the playable races in our story squad.

Other obvious options:

Spoiler

The two gangs are not friends but shown to have capacity to work together in the end and I can't see their two leaders to become main antagonists in the living world.

36 minutes ago, Desh.7028 said:

he team at times spoke directly about how difficult they made things for themselves by choosing inhumane and enormous villains. We're done with that and in the past villains who were not dragons were pretty good in GW2 - Scarlett comes to mind. GW2 writer team is finally unchained

problem is after fighting Gods and Eldritch horrors the commander facing more Tangible threats is going to play out like this.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dusanyu.4057 said:

problem is after fighting Gods and Eldritch horrors the commander facing more Tangible threats is going to play out like this.

On the contrary, it won't.

Because the commander isn't a god tier individual with superpowers. They are skilled yes, powerful yes. But they aren't one man army wrecking machines. Infact, they have a better track record at failing to take out big bad guys totally alone then winning, totally alone as I recall. The commander wins because of the team around them.

50 minutes ago, Desh.7028 said:

In Cantha there are multiple factions, specifically and notably the Purists, which don't have a finished story arc.

Hide contents

I highly doubt the hidden part about the Empress, and the Jade brotherhood post campaign expresses interest in going legit, operating as an actual business outside of Cantha to avoid competing with the Xunlai Jade tech.

2 hours ago, dusanyu.4057 said:

problem is after fighting Gods and Eldritch horrors the commander facing more Tangible threats is going to play out like this

Except we beat the Void only while being sky high on the really good Aurene stuff. We were losing pretty badly before that and we're back to our old selves now (so well above average but not the be-all-end-all).

The god also would've turned us into dust (for a second time) if Kralk and lil'Aurene wouldn't have faced off against him at our sides, the former not by his own design of course. And we had the sword that was freshly rekindled.

Actually at no point did the commander ever 1v1 any of the real big real bads.

2 hours ago, Kalavier.1097 said:

I highly doubt the hidden part about the Empress

Probably not. There is a conversation joking about this though in the Kaineng story.

• Like 1

As others have said, there are plenty of unresolved plot lines in the existing gameworld to keep it going for a long time. Heck, we still haven't gotten to explore the Wizard's Tower, or the Dominion of Winds. And I don't think the "void" would have been introduced if they didn't intend to use it as a story element in the future.

• Like 1

The remaining human Gods stepping out of the mists and back into Tyria in all their resplendent glory. I would lose it 😮

I could even see them stepping into the raid wings for further content while using those assets again:

Lyssa- stepping into the left over mesmer fallout from the Stronghold of the Faithful.

Grenth- confronting Desmina and the loss of his reapers in Hall of Chains.

Dwayna-trying to balanced the forces of nature and the elementals in The Key Ahdashim.

Kormir- seeking truth, light and justice in Bastion of the Penitent.

Melandru- righting the wrongs against nature and its abusers in Spirit Vale.

• Confused 1

On 3/11/2022 at 7:59 PM, White Kitsunee.4620 said:

Like Guild wars 2 as a whole? Like we just had our epic conclusion and its time for something else?

No.

On the contrary, now we finally have an opportunity for actual high-quality story-telling, past the same old, same old Elder Dragon boredom.

EoD proved that ANet can provide well-told stories with intelligent twists and turns, something that can be taken seriously, rather than half-baked nonsense.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 3:59 PM, White Kitsunee.4620 said:

I kinda felt this way at the end of Season 4, but now I really feel it.

I know there are still alot of loose ends in the story but with the ending I kinda feel like this would be a good time to call it. At least for the story. I don't really want a LWS6.

How do you guys feel about the ending? How would you feel if the story took a break for a while. In favor of anet either just doing gameplay updates or working on something else, like another xpac, or a GW3 or a new game?

I have felt exactly the same. I felt sad at the end of EoD, I just felt like it was the end. Neither are the same creators of the game so...

I think it was a ending to the whole story. Now they will begin to experience new things and will surely include things that are not related to the classic GW2 at all, It would be great for a Guild Wars 3 and it would be an opportunity to update everything and add new classes.

• Confused 3