Meta + Strike Missions = Turtle. No thank you.

7 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

You clearly did something wrong there 

Would be a fantastic opportunity for you to stop just telling people they suck and should git gut all around the forum but to step up and help the struggling people you deride all the time.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Erise.5614 said:

Would be a fantastic opportunity for you to stop just telling people they suck and should git gut all around the forum but to step up and help the struggling people you deride all the time.

Without knowing what went wrong I can’t really help. But I am happy to help. I do strike missions daily with pug groups that are open to all. There are often casuals in these groups who do the strike mission for the turtle and who are not that experienced with strike missions. I take my time to explain the fight and the mechanics. 

Never told l that people suck. Seems to be your agenda to make other people look bad. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 1
  • Confused 11

On 3/20/2022 at 7:33 AM, Mortime.1359 said:

It's sad that anet didn't learn from Blizzard that forcing players to do content is just going to make players hate said content. I mean they could have just given everyone the damned turtle at the end of the story and just make the meta and strike unlock special skins or something. But whatever, it's their game I'm just sad to see them stepping in the same bucket that Blizzard did.

ANet doesn't do skins for these features. There are like 3 glider skins earnable in game and they're tied to legendaries which arehuge time/gold sinks. There are no skins for mounts earnable in game as far as I know and, on the off chance that I will eat my words, there will not be skins for skiffs or the turtle earnable in game as well. I don't like that, skins would make great rewards for all sorts of content. It could be basic skins that won't rival the gemstore shiny ones, but ANet won't go there.

Edited by lokh.2695
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

ANet doesn't do skins for these features. There are like 3 glider skins earnable in game and they're tied to legendaries which arehuge time/gold sinks. There are no skins for mounts earnable in game as far as I know and, on the off chance that I will eat my words, there will not be skins for skiffs or the turtle earnable in game as well. I don't like that, skins would make great rewards for all sorts of content. It could be basic skins that won't rival the gemstore shiny ones, but ANet won't go there.

There is exactly one warclaw skin that you can get in game. But I agree with you. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, lokh.2695 said:

Doesn't have to be a mount skin.

The water cape is actually a good example of how they already do it. 

It is a special skin that is awarded by the meta and surrounding events. A reward for repeated effort and mastery of most aspects of the map. That's genuinely a good way to go. You can get it if you put in extra effort. But we all accept that high level fashion wars are something that requires both huge time investment and large amounts of gem spending. There's no feature locked behind it. You can still do everything in the game just fine. It's just a shiny reward. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

Without knowing what went wrong I can’t really help. But I am happy to help. I do strike missions daily with pug groups that are open to all. There are often casuals in these groups who do the strike mission for the turtle and who are not that experienced with strike missions. I take my time to explain the fight and the mechanics. 

Never told l that people suck. Seems to be your agenda to make other people look bad. 

figuring out the mechanics was not the problem. the mechanics of the strike mission are not that hard, but when you see 4k-10k  dmg a hit and the champs HPs don't even drop that is a issue imo. i am not a hardcore player, i only play pass time with my  wife and daughter. i had no problem soloing the story mission that this strike mission is base off. my issue is being forced to play it when its obvious  strike mission are designed for players that are geared out with max gear.  which is most likely a small % of the game.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

I offer help ingame. I do strike missions every day and help players get their turtle. It is of course always easy to take statements out of context to push your agenda 🙂 

There is no agenda here. You belittle people on the forum that say they cant manage it. If a game is designed that the only way the "casual"player can get the rewards is having the elite players help it will fail.  The question for ANET is who buys more gems? The elite players that can get all the cool stuff? Or Us crappy casuals that buy gems so we can get cool stuff?"I love this game, I have stuff to do that will keep me entertained without the turtle and that is what I  am going to do. I will not be buying anymore expansions. I will not be buying anymore gems for skins for content I cant get. Will I join a turtle strike mission so someone else can carry me through it? Absolutely not. That is too embarrassing for words.

there is a algorithm for how many people complain vs how many people who dont and just leave. I really hope anet figures it out.

• Like 15
  • Confused 4

43 minutes ago, Sandie.1964 said:

There is no agenda here. You belittle people on the forum that say they cant manage it. If a game is designed that the only way the "casual"player can get the rewards is having the elite players help it will fail.  The question for ANET is who buys more gems? The elite players that can get all the cool stuff? Or Us crappy casuals that buy gems so we can get cool stuff?"I love this game, I have stuff to do that will keep me entertained without the turtle and that is what I  am going to do. I will not be buying anymore expansions. I will not be buying anymore gems for skins for content I cant get. Will I join a turtle strike mission so someone else can carry me through it? Absolutely not. That is too embarrassing for words.

there is a algorithm for how many people complain vs how many people who dont and just leave. I really hope anet figures it out.

You don’t even have to get carried through it. And the game is not designed that “elite” players have to help. My experience with the strike missions is that once everyone knows the mechanics they go rather smooth, so I explain the mechanics to the players in the group that don’t know them yet. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 8

Just now, yoni.7015 said:

You don’t even have to get carried through it. And the game is not designed that “elite” players have to help. My experience with the strike missions is that once everyone knows the mechanics they go rather smooth, so I explain the mechanics to the players in the group that don’t know them yet. 

(how much profit each  Strike run your group makes  ? Do you need a partner ?

I can help you  24/7 on the forums and answer only "any  posts related to Turtle too" , for a cut 😛

Very flexible work-hours ,prefer  Greece times  althought)

Edited by Killthehealersffs.8940
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I got my turtle this week...two days from start to finish, playing less than two hours a day.  Biggest wait was waiting for some events or catching a group on LFG.  I do not raid.  I barely do tier 1 fractals.  I went in with an open world renegade build in celestial gear for the strike mission.  I died a few times, was rezzed by kindly players, and I did likewise.  Some of this I may have been lucky on, but people are also learning the fights better now that's it's not the first week.

In the amount of time spent debating this issue, some players could have already finished getting their turtle.  It's become the new skyscale... remember the screams about the time gating...yikes.  

There are groups working together to get this done.  Not hardcore raiders, not picky guilds, not pro gamers, not people the unemployed living in the proverbial basement eating pop tarts.  Just normal players, most causal.  If you can do the Wintersday Freezie, you can do this, it's just barely harder.  If you can follow instructions at Triple Trouble, you can do this.  Somewhere out there is probably someone miffed they don't have a warclaw who doesn't do WvW either.  Or maybe they went in and did it anyway.   

Best wishes to you all, hope you have success, and stop stressing and start having some fun again.  Virtual hugs, some of you really need them

• Like 2
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Erise.5614 said:

Doesn't have to be a mount skin.

The water cape is actually a good example of how they already do it. 

It is a special skin that is awarded by the meta and surrounding events. A reward for repeated effort and mastery of most aspects of the map. That's genuinely a good way to go. You can get it if you put in extra effort. But we all accept that high level fashion wars are something that requires both huge time investment and large amounts of gem spending. There's no feature locked behind it. You can still do everything in the game just fine. It's just a shiny reward. 

What water cape?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

What water cape?

Each of the new maps has a water dragon skin attached to a achievement collection.

You get the Water Dragon Cape for completing 25 achievements on Dragon's End. The majority of which being: Do the meta.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Water_Dragon_Cape

Edited by Erise.5614
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

I am in agreement with the fact that not only was it the meta event, which now I'm appreciative that a change was made so the completion of the meta event is now non-mandatory, but another obstacle that being the strike mission being in the way is very discouraging. There was mention that people should try the strike missions, they are fun but the problem is I couldn't try them if I wanted to seeing that there is a 10 player minimum to even start one. Not everyone is part of a guild, in fact there are some players who fail to forge or find a decent sized one if they wanted to. Then there are players who prefer to play solo or with only a handful of people they know in IRL and this strike mission feels like it's being forced for those parties. There may be ways to fix this but as of now this is alienating and making things difficult for the players who don't have large groups to play with.

Edited by The Dusk.2654
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Dusk.2654 said:

I am in agreement with the fact that not only was it the meta event, which now I'm appreciative that a change was made so the completion of the meta event is now non-mandatory, but another obstacle that being the strike mission being in the way is very discouraging. There was mention that people should try the strike missions, they are fun but the problem is I couldn't try them if I wanted to seeing that there is a 10 player minimum to even start one. Not everyone is part of a guild, in fact there are some players who fail to forge or find a decent sized one if they wanted to. Then there are players who prefer to play solo or with only a handful of people they know in IRL. There may be ways to fix this but as of now this is alienating and making things difficult for the players who don't have large groups to play with.

Press Y then you have the third tab down I belive called looking for group.

Inside that window you have strike mission section.

Post a lfg FOR TURTLE ALL WELCME and you can go into it with 9 other people to get your turtle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

On 3/25/2022 at 6:10 PM, Astralporing.1957 said:

And? They are designed for a completely different gameplay style - one that a majority of PvE players have already seen and rejected. Those are not the first strikes in this game, remember? We already know that they are not a content for many players - and these new strikes aren't any different.

Like you noticed, not having beetle, griffon or skyscale does not lock you out of any story. Not even races, since Anet started putting mount vendors near them. Not that it actually matters - turtle is still designed for open world, but locked behind a content it is not designed for, and a content which most OW players do not play.

And so ? Many of the mechanics that you see in these strike missions are the same mechanics that you have seen in open world. Like since season 3. Many of the mechanics that you have seen in story particularly also come fractals, even at tier 1. You really believe that in ten years of content, no casual ever went to that content, even though it is the best way and easy to farm the gold since like forever ? From the content that has barely been updated in the last five years and has seen its difficulty reduced time after time ?

Yeah the mounts like the beetle, skyscale and the griffon won’t you lock out of story but you still got content locked up if you don’t own it. Getting these achievement points by flying through Tyria with a skyscale won’t be possible. Participating in the griffon races in PoF won’t be possible without it. 
Your point is only relevant for the beetle as it has races in core Tyria. But here is the deal : have you tried getting gold without the mastery achievement tied to the purchase of season 4 ? I don’t think many will and have actually done it.

• Like 5
  • Confused 7

As someone who's not all that much into doing even metas because of how complex they can get, l honestly enjoyed playing it once l noticed how straightforward it was and how smartly l was combining my skills. Its biggest problem is just how tight the time limit is coupled with how much time the NPCs waste. So many failures are simply because the map is less than ten minutes off the checkpoint. It seems it wouldn't fail as much if it just let us start as soon as the preparations hit high. That way, any bad RNG with bosses or NPC pathing is mitigated. It never felt like the map did poorly, just barely ran out of time because the NPCs have to dawdle around so much. There's just no fun to be had when your failure is due to a time limit that's further clipped by waiting on NPCs.

As for forcing people to play a Strike Mission, that's another matter entirely. It's one thing to make players ram their heads into a wall waiting for a win or grinding up the map currency, you just gotta walk into the map. But, some people got into this game because it lets you naturally cooperate with people and move on with no pressure. That goes out the window if you have to join a specific group. It will feel like all the eyes are on you, that you have to hold up your part of the team. You can say it's no pressure all you want, but that won't get rid of the anxiety some of us feel.

Me, I'll do it. But, l know for a fact there is a zero percent chance my friend group will ever play a Strike Mission for any reason unless it's four player. So if they get back into this game and think to go for the turtle, that's gonna be a serious stresser or big disappointment for them. If you don't understand, then there's no other way l can explain it. Playing in specific groups with randos is just not for everyone, so something like this shouldn't be locked behind that.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

For something that they heavily market as part of their product, it is expected that it's not gated behind a ludicrous amount of stuff, I know the hardcore and long time GW2 players will scuff at what I said, imagine if other games locked "key advertised" features like this.

The devs have lost their way with this tbh, but I guess this is what happens when there has been mass changes in leadership and within the teams, it's direction inevitably changes too. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Press Y then you have the third tab down I belive called looking for group.

Inside that window you have strike mission section.

Post a lfg FOR TURTLE ALL WELCME and you can go into it with 9 other people to get your turtle.

Which is a great feature for those who don't mind playing with random people in a mission that takes you to a separate instance, (away from open world map) but remember the part where I said about people who prefer to play solo or with only a handful of people they know? I'm in that category, the LFG is what I use because I have to do so for the turtle. Not to mention how long it still takes to find a group even with LFG for myself personally. I don't mind tasks that take me out of things I normally do, but when I have to rely on other players to actually join or know how to play the strike mission, and that becoming the wall and keeping me from progressing is where it starts becoming irritating. Having to be in positions where I have no choice but to invite random players to complete a task invites these issues. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Smoky.5348 said:

As someone who's not all that much into doing even metas because of how complex they can get, l honestly enjoyed playing it once l noticed how straightforward it was and how smartly l was combining my skills. Its biggest problem is just how tight the time limit is coupled with how much time the NPCs waste. So many failures are simply because the map is less than ten minutes off the checkpoint. It seems it wouldn't fail as much if it just let us start as soon as the preparations hit high. That way, any bad RNG with bosses or NPC pathing is mitigated. It never felt like the map did poorly, just barely ran out of time because the NPCs have to dawdle around so much. There's just no fun to be had when your failure is due to a time limit that's further clipped by waiting on NPCs.

As for forcing people to play a Strike Mission, that's another matter entirely. It's one thing to make players ram their heads into a wall waiting for a win or grinding up the map currency, you just gotta walk into the map. But, some people got into this game because it lets you naturally cooperate with people and move on with no pressure. That goes out the window if you have to join a specific group. It will feel like all the eyes are on you, that you have to hold up your part of the team. You can say it's no pressure all you want, but that won't get rid of the anxiety some of us feel.

Me, I'll do it. But, l know for a fact there is a zero percent chance my friend group will ever play a Strike Mission for any reason unless it's four player. So if they get back into this game and think to go for the turtle, that's gonna be a serious stresser or big disappointment for them. If you don't understand, then there's no other way l can explain it. Playing in specific groups with randos is just not for everyone, so something like this shouldn't be locked behind that.

Just to clarify. The escort mission at the beginning is not what's commonly talked about. Right after comes a fight which has a drastically higher failure rate, a much more limiting timer and no NPCs around.

The meta becomes much more difficult than any of the others at that point. The preparation before needs 3 groups doing all 3 lanes simultaneously but is reasonably doable. 

Though it does get to show just how alienated from the general player base the people are who talk about completing it easily and all the time. 

Edited by Erise.5614
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Erise.5614 said:

Just to clarify. The escort mission at the beginning is not what's commonly talked about. Right after comes a fight which has a drastically higher failure rate, a much more limiting timer and no NPCs around.

The meta becomes much more difficult than any of the others at that point. The preparation before needs 3 groups doing all 3 lanes simultaneously but is reasonably doable. 

Though it does get to show just how alienated from the general player base the people are who talk about completing it easily and all the time. 

So, l didn't even get to the hard part after three attempts taking 30 minutes each? Haha, wow. I really didn't make it to the river at all...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1