Meta + Strike Missions = Turtle. No thank you.

28 minutes ago, ReV.6097 said:

I'm not opposed to Raids or Strikes, just not sure I want to be seeing them use it too often for mounts in the future, and rather they remained on cosmetics and certain loot.

The best bet is always vertical progression or something people feel is required. That's why they did it - not enough people were playing strikes. How this plays out will influence how this continues and how many resources are poured into strikes.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

On 3/11/2022 at 2:12 PM, Grishnaakh.2143 said:

Just want to say that the story and locations for EoD are fantastic, love them, but requiring, for the moment, to run the Meta then Strike Mission to unlock the Siege Turtle really just turns me off to the rest of the game at this point.

this really felt true while i was getting the turtle. Finally beating the meta only to have to do that strike. uhhgs.

but in all honesty having the turtle is more about just having the mount and not actually using it.

It sucks solo and you really just want to be able to use the guns which you personally don't need the turtle for. just hop in the back seat of someone else, but then oh wait you can't control where it goes. and if you're driving you can't control its speed. so annoying both ways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love this game been playing since HOT. Pre purchased expansion thinking i would thoroughly enjoy it , which i did , till i had the realization i would have to do instanced/ raid like content . I tried the meta many times and the strike mission , didn't enjoy either of them , and am not happy . I do not want to play the game anymore , the fun has gone out of that for me , i have WMD, have to get Eylea injections, which makes it a nightmare situation for me to do instanced stuff, also bad internet . I am super disappointed and feel i am not capable, and am letting people down , i don't enjoy this its not fun anymore.  At least i tried , but i wont be supporting ANET and buying further expansions , i feel like it has been deceptive , and its becoming exclusive , that said im very happy that peeps are getting harder content they wanted ,  they deserve it , as they have been playing competitive game modes for a long time im sure. The whole situation makes me incredibly sad , i did my best , but that's enough , its a shame because everything else about the expansion i have found to be fantastic, but this isn't doable for me sadly .

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

To be fair, the only required strike for turtle is not that bad. It may take a couple of attempts but it's not ridiculously hard like some of the other strike missions (voice chains kill your party, anyone?)

At least on this strike, if you screw up due to bad positioning only YOU die.  In other strikes if you screw up due to bad positioning you kill your whole group.

Edited by Zera Allimatti.2541
  • Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 3

As an average casual player I can confirm it's not very hard. Did it on first try. 2 ppl died on 1st phase, 2 more on second and 2 (including me) in the last phase. I died with 5% to go.

So yea, it's doable. Problem is I didn't get the item for the turtle collection. I got some rewards (even an ascended long bow), some achievement, a mastery point I think, but no turtle collection item, lol. Now I have to force myself to do it again.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

2 hours ago, Yanosh.2631 said:

As an average casual player I can confirm it's not very hard. Did it on first try. 2 ppl died on 1st phase, 2 more on second and 2 (including me) in the last phase. I died with 5% to go.

So yea, it's doable. Problem is I didn't get the item for the turtle collection. I got some rewards (even an ascended long bow), some achievement, a mastery point I think, but no turtle collection item, lol. Now I have to force myself to do it again.

as a hardcore casual i disagree. It was a smack in the face, knockdown body slam. It seemed extremely unforgiving.  That being said out of the pug groups i was in i wasn't the one getting smacked down constantly but if the rest of your group gets wiped you aren't really going to be able to complete it. After the headache of the meta this strike headache wasn't much better. But only took me 11hours after beating meta to grinding this out and find a pug group that could beat it. but it wasn't anywhere close to easy like "on the 1st try."

of course that was more like day 5, not week 3

Edited by Kelly.7019
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1

Well, maybe I was just lucky then. Which is a bit scary considering I didn't get the turtle collection item and have to try it again 😕 I think I'll go mad if I have issues finishing it for the second time because the game screwed me over after the first one.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kelly.7019 said:

as a hardcore casual i disagree. It was a smack in the face, knockdown body slam. It seemed extremely unforgiving.  That being said out of the pug groups i was in i wasn't the one getting smacked down constantly but if the rest of your group gets wiped you aren't really going to be able to complete it. After the headache of the meta this strike headache wasn't much better. But only took me 11hours after beating meta to grinding this out and find a pug group that could beat it. but it wasn't anywhere close to easy like "on the 1st try."

of course that was more like day 5, not week 3

I agree with all of that, including being (I guess) a 'hardcore casual'. The pace, the amount of stuff on the screen, the fact when somebody is downed, if not rezzed and they die they're dead for the whole thing... revive orbs don't work, the unique attacks that the mobs throw at you, yeah, this is no walk in the park.

That said I got it on my fourth or fifth try. I think we may have been bolstered by one or two raiders, but there were definitely casuals in my group. But casuals like me who'd done this enough to have a basic idea what to do, and who were very good to rush to downed players and get them back on their feet. We lost one guy to 'The Three Amigos', then very, very nearly wiped at the very end two or three times, one or two of which there was only one person on his feet getting the rest of us back up. By this stage the boss was nearly dead. It was kind of epic, really.

So, yeah, this is not easy at all for casuals. I really don't think the turtle, advertised as it was, should be gated behind it. But I also don't think this should drive anyone from the game. If you're casual and don't really care about the mount, you might well not enjoy the strike. But, if dang it you want it for whatever reason, you collect the mounts, who knows, just figure it's going to take a number of trips through the strike but eventually you'll get it. Assist downed teammates, learn some of the special attacks (when you get a number over your head, PLEASE run away from your teammates. You'll save yourself and them serious damage)... It's not easy for casuals but it can be done.

Edited by Almaden.6782
I left too much space between paragraphs
  • Like 4

"Easier than the roller beetle..."    YEAH...     

Should not be forced to do raid content, and a maw event that scales so bad and needs twice the timer to do...    please bring alternate methods for family players.... the massive amount of time to do meta was enough now have to see people grief events and deal with toxic raid mentality strikes for a casual player.... 

Sold expansion on an easy to obtain mount needing miracles to do.

Sell us the components the same as the egg......   don't force us to do strikes if don't want to.... would pay 100g if I had to....   we had ways around JPs for Skyscale... think of people  who can't do this also - can you expect disabled people to handle a strike?   really? 

Edited by Ari.4672
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

34 minutes ago, Ari.4672 said:

deal with toxic raid mentality strikes for a casual player.... 

Why do some people here always say that? I do strikes daily in pug groups and never experienced toxicity, rather the opposite. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Why do some people here always say that? I do strikes daily in pug groups and never experienced toxicity, rather the opposite. 

Yeah indeed, I never ever seen toxic behaviour in strikes. Everyone is always really nice. 

Perhaps the requirements to join the strike is offputing to some? And translated as toxic, I dunno. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, aspirine.6852 said:

Yeah indeed, I never ever seen toxic behaviour in strikes. Everyone is always really nice. 

Perhaps the requirements to join the strike is offputing to some? And translated as toxic, I dunno. 

There are people who consider asking people to bring viable builds as toxic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

25 minutes ago, aspirine.6852 said:

Joined a total of 1 strike pug so far and seen no toxicity 🤣

But seriously, my guess would be that some people maybe joined a group of hardcore players who at the time were looking for other, often specific spec, hardcore players to do/farm it quickly. And they might have been a little rough around the egdes. And it's fair. These players never advertise their groups as 'all welcome'. If you see a description filled with acronyms you don't understand, don't join that group 😁

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I actually agree here , with everything that is being said ,  the issue is much larger than that i fear, in the sense , its no just about a mount, it is about accessibility which i totally understand , the larger issue is that the casual player base which has supported  the game , along with the players from more competitive game modes , are now having to understand that the game is moving into a different direction , which may well be better for competitive players , but will leave many who have supported the game to this point , having to decide whether or not to play , continue to support the game , this is not good for the game . The mount is just one part of it , and it is mainly for this reason that i have just mentioned ( the mount is secondary ) . Playing the game when you have payed for the content , when you are not part of a larger guild , is now becoming an issue . i guess its time for me to stop playing MMO genre and start playing single player games . I have to say though that i have had a great time though everyone has been fantastic even with the content i cannot complete . Its a lot harder for people with serious eye issues , like myself , i cannot absorb this new competitive content as i would wish, and its not because of lack of trying or a mount. Thank you all for your responses and being kind , it matters and is appreciated 🙂

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

ArenaNet really should have been honest before the expansion and said that the turtle would require doing a strike mission instead of giving us the the deliberately misleading "about as hard to get as the Roller Beetle" claim.  

All of this would have been avoided if they had simply stated the truth.  They could point to that and say customers knew what to expect when they bought EoD.  But they must have known admitting the truth would not be something that would help sales.

ArenaNet had always impressed me as a company one could believe.  I expected better.

Edited by DoctorOverlord.8620
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, DoctorOverlord.8620 said:

ArenaNet really should have been honest before the expansion and said that the turtle would require doing a strike mission instead of giving us the the deliberately misleading "about as hard to get as the Roller Beetle" claim.  

All of this would have been avoided if they had simply stated the truth.  They could point to that and say customers knew what to expect when they bought EoD.  But they must have known admitting the truth would not be something that would help sales.

ArenaNet had always impressed me as a company one could believe.  I expected better.

It wasn’t really misleading especially if you compare it to griffon and skyscale. Griffon was more expansive and skyscale took longer. Getting the turtle is much like getting the roller beetle. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, DoctorOverlord.8620 said:

If you're talking about "Guild Chat" then you're misquoting what they said.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, battledrone.8315 said:

comparable is the word they chose, because you can literally compare anything

and it usually means, that they are in the same range. that wasnt the case.

Why not? It takes the same amount of time to get the mounts. You have to do some events. The only difference is the strike mission. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

Why not? It takes the same amount of time to get the mounts. You have to do some events. The only difference is the strike mission. 

tell that to the guy, who wasted over 80 hrs of his life, without getting one.

and the strike is difference enough on its own

that was easy....

Edited by battledrone.8315
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

It's sad that anet didn't learn from Blizzard that forcing players to do content is just going to make players hate said content. I mean they could have just given everyone the damned turtle at the end of the story and just make the meta and strike unlock special skins or something. But whatever, it's their game I'm just sad to see them stepping in the same bucket that Blizzard did.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, battledrone.8315 said:

tell that to the guy, who wasted over 80 hrs of his life, without getting one.

and the strike is difference enough on its own

that was easy....

You don’t have to do the meta anymore, you can just buy the egg. If someone wastes 80 hours for that, that’s his problem and not necessary. 
The strike mission is 10 minutes, that’s not really a big difference. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Mortime.1359 said:

It's sad that anet didn't learn from Blizzard that forcing players to do content is just going to make players hate said content. 

I see the contrary in the groups I do strike missions with. Many casuals and new players actually like the fight and think it’s fun. I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the handful of critics here in the forums. 

Edited by yoni.7015
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1