[Spoilers] The Pact Commander is an agent of chaos.

Quench.7091

Ideas such as freedom and independence tilt towards the side of chaos, as the outcome of such things are usually less predictable. Order requires predictable results. Most of what we've fought has tried to kill or enslave the mortals. Culling and servitude tilts towards the side of order.

The Void is the most extreme order that the Commander has seen yet. It is a hive mind that enslaves others to fight towards a single unknown purpose.

Chaos doesn't have a purpose or direction. It just acts, making it unpredictable. One might say 'chaotic.' The Commander is constantly improvising, making the results of any actions taken hectic at times. They are more aligned with chaos than the Void.

1 hour ago, Quench.7091 said:

The Void is the most extreme order that the Commander has seen yet. It is a hive mind that enslaves others to fight towards a single unknown purpose.

Actually the Void is described as malagamation of all the magic types, creation chaos that cannot sustain any life.

Dargonvoid, being one of manifestiations of the void, does appear hivemind-ish but that's probably because the amalgamation there involved a number of hivemind-ish Elder Dragons (Mordremoth, Primordus). It was not pursuing enslavement of others to fight for anything tho, it was pursuing everyone to stop caring, stop resisting and just cease to be.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Actually the Void is described as malagamation of all the magic types, creation chaos that cannot sustain any life.

Dargonvoid, being one of manifestiations of the void, does appear hivemind-ish but that's probably because the amalgamation there involved a number of hivemind-ish Elder Dragons (Mordremoth, Primordus). It was not pursuing enslavement of others to fight for anything tho, it was pursuing everyone to stop caring, stop resisting and just cease to be.

I hope you are correct with the Dragonvoid and the Void being seperate! When I first heard of the Void, I was thinking that they were taking the Greek mythology approach. Order stems from chaos, as chaos can create order without purpose. It's a really powerful story for an RPG to utilize!  They should go with the amalgamation approach, if they haven't already. I've seen writing in RPGs that falls into the trap of ruining the power of chaos in storytelling far too many times!

By the way, pursuing anything is a show of purpose. I'd steer clear of that, unless it's the motives of the previous dragons causing it. Chaos can just as easily create as it does destroy, but unlike order it has no purpose in doing these things.

Edited by Quench.7091

While the word "chaotic" is a good description for void magic, I don't think it really has a connection to chaos. 

It's a primordial soup. Made from all kinds of magic. 

The Void is also (atleast I hope) not an entity. 

What we see is the manifestation of the Dragon's madness. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

I really hope thats the case. But I somehow doubt it.

The moment the void becomes an entity, it's not the void as described ingame anymore. Becaue what was described was basically matter without order. Like many dead particles that together form a living thing by simply acting by the laws of nature, but not being able to come tohgether in that way because of chaos. Thus, the void is the antithesis of conscience.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Quench.7091 said:

I hope you are correct with the Dragonvoid and the Void being seperate! When I first heard of the Void, I was thinking that they were taking the Greek mythology approach. Order stems from chaos, as chaos can create order without purpose. It's a really powerful story for an RPG to utilize!  They should go with the amalgamation approach, if they haven't already. I've seen writing in RPGs that falls into the trap of ruining the power of chaos in storytelling far too many times!

By the way, pursuing anything is a show of purpose. I'd steer clear of that, unless it's the motives of the previous dragons causing it. Chaos can just as easily create as it does destroy, but unlike order it has no purpose in doing these things.

As far as I can tell, the "dragonvoid" as it is, is the mixture of the personalities/madness of the elder dragons, and the void combining into a new being. I'm guessing when we pulled the void out of Soo-Won with the extractors, it allowed it all to gather and become an actual being.

The void by itself is separate

23 hours ago, Quench.7091 said:

They should go with the amalgamation approach, if they haven't already.

Where there is a moment when you can ask Taimi about it where she elaborates on it and comments that calling it "void" is kinda misleading because void implies nothing, while the actuall thing is "everything" and "everything mixed together is unstable".

Also note that "Dragonvoid" enters the story when we fire extractor gun at Soo-won, after which the gun overloads, and a "thing" spews out with loud "we are finally awake". Which is why in my understanding, "dragonvoid" is just one possible manifestation, we created by trying to contain the void in a single place.

To further support this, there is dialogue with aurene after the story, where she also says that it was true that "void is eternal" but that we "destroyed the form it took" and that "it's current form does not pose a threat to life on tyria"

23 hours ago, Quench.7091 said:

Well I would like to note that prior to manifestation of dragonvoid into the story, void just sprawls up randomly corrupting things. It is only when Dragonvoid manifested that it started "pursuing" to have everything join the "primordial soup" as DanAlcedo phrased it nicely.

On 3/14/2022 at 7:33 AM, DanAlcedo.3281 said:

While the word "chaotic" is a good description for void magic, I don't think it really has a connection to chaos. 

It's a primordial soup. Made from all kinds of magic. 

"Chaos" *is* the primordial soup and the void. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_(cosmogony)

Not everything in fantasy is a straight rip from Dungeons & Dragons.

On 3/15/2022 at 6:34 AM, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Where there is a moment when you can ask Taimi about it where she elaborates on it and comments that calling it "void" is kinda misleading because void implies nothing, while the actuall thing is "everything" and "everything mixed together is unstable".

Also note that "Dragonvoid" enters the story when we fire extractor gun at Soo-won, after which the gun overloads, and a "thing" spews out with loud "we are finally awake". Which is why in my understanding, "dragonvoid" is just one possible manifestation, we created by trying to contain the void in a single place.

To further support this, there is dialogue with aurene after the story, where she also says that it was true that "void is eternal" but that we "destroyed the form it took" and that "it's current form does not pose a threat to life on tyria"

Well I would like to note that prior to manifestation of dragonvoid into the story, void just sprawls up randomly corrupting things. It is only when Dragonvoid manifested that it started "pursuing" to have everything join the "primordial soup" as DanAlcedo phrased it nicely.

The primordial soup thing is how I was picturing the Void when I first saw it. No sign of an entity with a purpose. Just an everchanging mess. Things that spawn from it can have a purpose, but it doesn't have any intentions of it's own.

The Dragonvoid seems to be an order among the chaos. I'm glad that the Dragonvoid does not seem like it is supposed to be chaos incarnate to me anymore! Still, I do wish that Dragonvoid and Void were less interchangeable in the writing.