What are random guild invites a thing?

I realize I'm asking a question people may not have a good answer for, but this is bugging me. This is not the only game where I've encountered the random, unasked for guild invite because I'm guildless. The part that really gets me is one guild that has now invited me twice unasked for I think, it has a rule in there about how you're supposed to tell an admin if you're going to be away for more than a week. Like the audacity of expecting that kind of information from your members when you don't even do the basic social effort of going through a recruitment process.

I have social anxiety in spades, but even I did some recruitment for a guild in the past. I never randomly invited people to the guild. Why would I? They could be anybody, I have no idea if they have any interest in adhering to how we do things or are even into what we do.

Seems like all you're doing randomly inviting people is creating a future hassle for officers who have to clean up the roster by removing people who cause problems or are a poor match because you couldn't be bothered to do a tiny bit of vetting.

I almost sent a tell to ask this one guild to stop bothering me, but I don't know who's the one who is OKing random invites and I'm afraid I'm just gonna go off on somebody who doesn't deserve it.

I don't get it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

I realize I'm asking a question people may not have a good answer for, but this is bugging me. This is not the only game where I've encountered the random, unasked for guild invite because I'm guildless. The part that really gets me is one guild that has now invited me twice unasked for I think, it has a rule in there about how you're supposed to tell an admin if you're going to be away for more than a week. Like the audacity of expecting that kind of information from your members when you don't even do the basic social effort of going through a recruitment process.

Decline the/any invite and move on.

I have social anxiety in spades, but even I did some recruitment for a guild in the past. I never randomly invited people to the guild. Why would I? They could be anybody, I have no idea if they have any interest in adhering to how we do things or are even into what we do.

This guild may be on a recruitment drive. Mass invites happen everywhere. Decline and move on.

Seems like all you're doing randomly inviting people is creating a future hassle for officers who have to clean up the roster by removing people who cause problems or are a poor match because you couldn't be bothered to do a tiny bit of vetting.

That's their problem to deal with.

I almost sent a tell to ask this one guild to stop bothering me, but I don't know who's the one who is OKing random invites and I'm afraid I'm just gonna go off on somebody who doesn't deserve it.

Then don't go off on someone and ignore it instead. If a guild is mass inviting people, they're used to people declining them all the time. It may be frustrating, but it's pretty much a none issue imo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've never had a problem with blind invite guilds because they've never held many expectations. The few times I've asked for a guild invite, it's been "Please apply on our website and..." I have left every guild I "applied" to due to drama. I only do blind invites now.

Need to tell the admin if you leave for more than a week? Not very audacious to be honest. They are just letting you know that they kick people who aren't playing weekly. If you aren't even playing that much, why are you in a guild at all? If you have a bond with the guild, you'd let someone know if you are going to be gone anyway; if you don't have a bond, then there is zero reason for you to stay.

Log in, utilize any guild perks, toss some useful stuff/currency in the bank as sort of a repayment and move on with my life. I can make friends with people inside or outside of the guild, so the entire point for me is the guild perks, not the people.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Farohna.6247 said:

Because some people are to socially awkward to ask people for a guild invite?  Not really a fan of the random invites either, but find it a small issue.  Why not simply make your own guild, rep that, then no one will send you an invite?  Cheap and easy solution.

As I said tho, I have social anxiety in spades and I was still able to do recruitment for a guild in the past. If you are so painfully social awkward you can't do recruitment, then why are you running a guild to begin with? It's meant to be a social experience.

7 hours ago, Haleydawn.3764 said:

That's their problem to deal with.

Um, yeah? So what? I was bringing it up because as I said, it doesn't make sense as a policy when you'll have to clean up anyway. Are you someone who does mass recruitment or are you just being contrarian?

7 hours ago, Xelqypla.6817 said:

Need to tell the admin if you leave for more than a week? Not very audacious to be honest. They are just letting you know that they kick people who aren't playing weekly. If you aren't even playing that much, why are you in a guild at all? If you have a bond with the guild, you'd let someone know if you are going to be gone anyway; if you don't have a bond, then there is zero reason for you to stay.

But I never asked to be in a guild to begin with???

What is with y'all, seriously, you are talking to me like I'm the weird one for having a problem with being randomly invited to a guild, especially one with a strict rule about activity levels. These two things do not make sense together. If you are going to mass invite, you better have no expectations. I swear to god 90% of the responses on this forum are just people responding to be contrarian for the sake of it. It's exhausting.

• Confused 1

As I said before, I agree with you.  Referring to the people being invited as having the social anxiety, not the people sending the invites.  Some new players are not comfortable asking for invites and may not mind being scooped up by the generic mass invite.  I don't care for the spam of guild invites in chat, though some have amusing ads.  I think I've mostly been invited by small guilds in starting zones, when I'm not rep'ing, who are attempting to build their guild with new players who are interested in dedicating the time to that. Completely agree it would be better to ask politely, hey are you looking for a guild, instead of just assuming.

This and random or persistent whispers and party/squad invitations are annoying. Pretty lame that the only solutions that exist right now are just repeatedly closing out of these unsolicited notifications or entering offline mode and shutting down all communications. There should be a better way.

It'd be nice if you could filter this stuff in settings. Always/Never/Friends Only, that kind of thing.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Farohna.6247 said:

As I said before, I agree with you.  Referring to the people being invited as having the social anxiety, not the people sending the invites.  Some new players are not comfortable asking for invites and may not mind being scooped up by the generic mass invite.  I don't care for the spam of guild invites in chat, though some have amusing ads.  I think I've mostly been invited by small guilds in starting zones, when I'm not rep'ing, who are attempting to build their guild with new players who are interested in dedicating the time to that. Completely agree it would be better to ask politely, hey are you looking for a guild, instead of just assuming.

Sorry if it looked like I was including you in my generalization, I'm having a bad time on these forums of late. Believe it or not, I'm usually way more patient, something about this environment with its troll emoji fest and other such things is getting under my skin. I hadn't thought about it from the standpoint of people being too anxious to ask to join a guild and that is a fair point.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Some people's first or only priority for a guild is to have as many members as possible, rather than finding the right people for their guild, so they'll send invites to anyone they can target, especially people who aren't representing a guild and therefore possibly don't have one.

You can almost completely eliminate the invites by making your own guild. It costs 1g to do so and you're allowed to create a guild with only 1 member so there's no need to invite anyone else. (But if you accidentally leave a solo guild the guild will be disbanded.) I've only occasionally been in 5 guilds (and not in the past year or so) and I almost never get random invites. When I do it's usually when I'm on a new character and forgot to represent a guild.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

This and random or persistent whispers and party/squad invitations are annoying. Pretty lame that the only solutions that exist right now are just repeatedly closing out of these unsolicited notifications or entering offline mode and shutting down all communications. There should be a better way.

It'd be nice if you could filter this stuff in settings. Always/Never/Friends Only, that kind of thing.

A filter would be nice.  Just a little button for "no invites".  

Just now, Labjax.2465 said:

Sorry if it looked like I was including you in my generalization, I'm having a bad time on these forums of late. Believe it or not, I'm usually way more patient, something about this environment with its troll emoji fest and other such things is getting under my skin. I hadn't thought about it from the standpoint of people being too anxious to ask to join a guild and that is a fair point.

You're good, you make good points..  The forums have been particularly challenging lately and a lot of negativity and frustration...it too shall pass.  People don't always consider that someone may feel uncomfortable with being invited or doesn't want to be or how impersonal it can be.  And a guild should fit what you need.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Danikat.8537 said:

Some people's first or only priority for a guild is to have as many members as possible, rather than finding the right people for their guild, so they'll send invites to anyone they can target, especially people who aren't representing a guild and therefore possibly don't have one.

You can almost completely eliminate the invites by making your own guild. It costs 1g to do so and you're allowed to create a guild with only 1 member so there's no need to invite anyone else. (But if you accidentally leave a solo guild the guild will be disbanded.) I've only occasionally been in 5 guilds (and not in the past year or so) and I almost never get random invites. When I do it's usually when I'm on a new character and forgot to represent a guild

Having one guild, even just with you in it was the simplest solution I could think of as well.  You're right on the numbers are where it's at for some guilds.  

10 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Most people who are too anxious to ask to join a guild don't want to be in a guild...that's my guess anyway. Source? My wife suffers from social anxiety. She's rather no one talk to her ever.  The way she gets into guilds is that I check them out first and make sure they're suitable/safe/doesn't require voice participation, etc.  Then I can get her an invite.  

A random invite isn't necessarily a boon to people who suffer from social anxiety.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1