Jump to content
  • Sign Up

It's about time to remove this annoying feature


Recommended Posts

Just as the title says - there's an annoying feature that simply doesn't need to exist anymore.

Please for the love of all Tyria, Cantha, etc - Remove the thing where you have to type out the number of said items and name of said items just to trash said item(s).

 

For example if I want to delete Obsidian Shards I have to type in for example '48 Obsidian Shards', this is antiquated and doesn't even need to exist anymore, this has always been soooo annoying, just add a regular pop up screen with yes or no with the name of said item in bold characters at whatever color that catches the eye and if it's really that important have another pop up just to verify that's what they really want to do - some items have strange hard to remember how to spell items, obsidian shards ain't hard to spell, but it's still annoying.

 

I cannot be the only one that finds this antiquated delete method annoying and should be removed indefinitely from the game.

  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, NOneWarhead.7648 said:

that simply doesn't need to exist anymore.

Remove it an I guarantee to you that there will be a spike in "I accidentally deleted my x" threads.

Even with that feature those threads pops up once in a while which is clear indication to me that there is still need for it. It may be argued which items needs that "safety" and which not, but the feature overal has a point.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Remove it an I guarantee to you that there will be a spike in "I accidentally deleted my x" threads.

Even with that feature those threads pops up once in a while which is clear indication to me that there is still need for it. It may be argued which items needs that "safety" and which not, but the feature overal has a point.

Do these people actually get the item reimbursed? Hard to decide, it can feel inconvenient if you have an abundance of something, but should save any complaints if it is accidentally deleted. Makes it more deliberate. Like, how can I accidentally type in something's name and clic destroy?  Though how it decides what is valuable enough to warrant it, single use Wintersday tonics for example needed you to type the name in.

What if it was a multiple choice question that was asked twice with three random options? Trying t delete Obsidian Shards. "What are you trying to delete?" Choices: Obsidian Shards, Dragonite Ore, Ancient Logs, Berserker's Pearl Handcanon. Followed by, "What are you trying to delete?" Choices: Iron Ore, Anton's Boot Blade, Obsidian Shards, Festive Turai Ossa.

Seems quicker to check the correct box twice and easy to do, but gives 1/16 chance of getting Obsidian Shards twice by complete accident.

Or the option to turn it off. Have it on by default that you have to type in names of items, but let you turn it off. Even then, if somebody deleted an item by accident after choosing to turn the safety off, would they have much of a case for getting it back?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EMPI.4013 said:

I think it should have a check mark box. Where you have to click the check box, in order to confirm that you want to delete the item.

I like that idea actually. Much easier to work with and still a safety feasture.

 

2 hours ago, Lord Trejgon.2809 said:

Remove it an I guarantee to you that there will be a spike in "I accidentally deleted my x" threads.

Even with that feature those threads pops up once in a while which is clear indication to me that there is still need for it. It may be argued which items needs that "safety" and which not, but the feature overal has a point.

You see I don't really have too much of a problem with it other than it's generally on the most useless items, such as when a Festival happens and you get hundreds if not thousands of some type of item, E.G. - A Tonic. A lot of these you have to type out just to delete, but I end up putting on the market knowing it'll never sell because it's easier than deleting it lol.

 

9 minutes ago, Sinmir.6504 said:

Do these people actually get the item reimbursed? Hard to decide, it can feel inconvenient if you have an abundance of something, but should save any complaints if it is accidentally deleted. Makes it more deliberate. Like, how can I accidentally type in something's name and clic destroy?  Though how it decides what is valuable enough to warrant it, single use Wintersday tonics for example needed you to type the name in.

What if it was a multiple choice question that was asked twice with three random options? Trying t delete Obsidian Shards. "What are you trying to delete?" Choices: Obsidian Shards, Dragonite Ore, Ancient Logs, Berserker's Pearl Handcanon. Followed by, "What are you trying to delete?" Choices: Iron Ore, Anton's Boot Blade, Obsidian Shards, Festive Turai Ossa.

Seems quicker to check the correct box twice and easy to do, but gives 1/16 chance of getting Obsidian Shards twice by complete accident.

Or the option to turn it off. Have it on by default that you have to type in names of items, but let you turn it off. Even then, if somebody deleted an item by accident after choosing to turn the safety off, would they have much of a case for getting it back?

Honestly I think it goes back to the thing I mentioned to the other person above - it's the items we have to type to delete really, why would 1 time tonics that you have an abundance of that are like 2 copper on trade post have such a mechanic to remove? I could understand things that are required for legendary - heck they don't even do that, do a raid and get the drops and they'll just delete with a yes or no box lol. (Just tested with Giant Beehive), just asks yes or no with item name, but yet a tonic with a one time use has it, makes no sense.

 

But I do like the idea of turning that feature off - doesn't hurt to do that, so we all have the best of both worlds. Although I'm not 100% against it, i'm just 100% against it on tonics and such that you get an abundance of during festivals, and when you get an overflow of said items in material storage and nolonger need said items (E.G. > Obsidian Shards), gets annoying to have to delete them 1 at a time because the drops aren't really that great to begin with, just annoying that I have to stop what i'm doing to type it out just to delete that single item.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The reason why it prompts you to type the name in is because it forces your brain to think about what you're doing. If you only have a checkbox or a yes/no dialog, people develop muscle memory to click the most desired option under usual circumsntances, which increases error rates and results in sadness when you actually do make a mistake.

It's basic UX.

Edited by rune.9572
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We didn't always have this option. Support was flooeded with requests to restore this or that item.
And believe me, nothing else works. As soon as it is some action that can be performed by a mindless drone (like checking a box or answering yes in a dialogue option), people will do it like a mindless drone AND feel entitled to get laboured help from a GM to restore it.

I do believe Arenanet should do a yearly comb through to check if it is still required for the right items and what items should be added to the list.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mercury ranique.2170 said:

We didn't always have this option. Support was flooeded with requests to restore this or that item.
And believe me, nothing else works. As soon as it is some action that can be performed by a mindless drone (like checking a box or answering yes in a dialogue option), people will do it like a mindless drone AND feel entitled to get laboured help from a GM to restore it.

I do believe Arenanet should do a yearly comb through to check if it is still required for the right items and what items should be added to the list.

I suppose what you and the guy above made sense. It gives you a chance to think as you are destroying it. I guess it even points out what you are destroying, click and drag something valuable when you meant to drag the thing beside it out of your inventory. Forced to type in the name rather than blindly click yes.

Though brings me back to the idea of being able to turn the safety feature on and off, maybe even toggle it. Have it full on so that every common piece needs to be typed in, or only ascended or legendary. Or off all together. Maybe even let you toggle based on what it is, can it be salvaged, can it be sold.

Though even without the toggle option, could be quicker to leave it on and turn it off just to delete something, then turn it back on. Than typing in the name of the item.

I see the option as, well, if somebody chose to turn off the safety that was by default on can they really blame anyone but themself? Like with insurance, if somebody hot wires your car, third party fire and theft will cover that. Leave your key in the car and if it gets stolen you have less chance of a successful claim.

Another idea that comes from the infusion extraction. What if you choose to destroy an item, you then need to drag that same item into a window and click yes. Quicker than typing the name of the item but kind of forces you to confirm that is what you want to  destroy.

 

Destroying something and expecting the devs to restore it... Sounds like an Andy Pipkin skit.

I want to destroy Eternity.

Are you sure? That took a lot of work to get.

Yeah ah know.

You were really looking forward to equipping it.

Yeah ah know.

Once you've destroyed it it'll be a right kerfuffle trying to get it back.

Yeah ah know.

So why don't you add it to your armory?

I want to destroy it.

So final decision, destroy Eternity?

Yes

Ok, type in "Eternity" and click "Yes."

Andy types in E-t-e-r-n-i-t-y.... clicks yes.

...

...

I want Eternity back. Get the devs to  restore it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think they should remove it completely because as other people have mentioned there are items players probably shouldn't delete and it can act as an effective warning that this is at least something you should think twice about and requires you to confirm that you know what you're deleting (even if you don't know why it's important).

What they probably should do is review which items require confirmation to delete. For example I think the Wintersday tonics require it because way back in 2012 they only came from a Wintersday themed gem store loot box so they were technically gem store items and given how popular tonics were (and are) in GW1 I think Anet expected them to be more important to players. When they came back in 2015 in the Wintersday gifts the check could have been removed, but maybe it was missed or the person adding them to the gifts wasn't sure why it was there.

There might also be some items which don't require any confirmation to delete which do need it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rune.9572 said:

The reason why it prompts you to type the name in is because it forces your brain to think about what you're doing. If you only have a checkbox or a yes/no dialog, people develop muscle memory to click the most desired option under usual circumsntances, which increases error rates and results in sadness when you actually do make a mistake.

It's basic UX.

Maybe.  In SW:ToR, if you want to delete a character, you don't have to type out the entire character's name.  You do have to type "delete" to confirm though.  To me, in GW2, that would be much preferred over having to type out an entire name of an object, with correct capitalization and everything.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is certainly annoying, especially with items that have long names. You can link it in chat and copy paste and delete brackets as a shortcut. I personally toss them in the bank and eventually place them on my keyfarming char and delete them with the character lol.

I'd rather go with a 'lock item' feature or just have us type 'delete.'

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...