Please change the Black Lion icon in the menu bar back to the unlit version

Posted this under Bugs originally, but seems like the new constantly lit up Trading Post icon is a feature since it hasn't been fixed/addressed by now. I know it's good for advertising, but it would be really nice if the icon could be changed back to the old one, as the new one is very distracting and constantly makes me think I have a notification (as is the case when icons are lit up like that). Turning the menu bar off in settings is a workaround, but is inconvenient, as I usually accessed my inventory/hero panel/other stuff through the menu bar.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 6
  • Confused 1

• Poormany.4507 changed the title to Please Change the Black Lion Icon in the Menu Bar Back to the Unlit Version

I think it's unintended, or at least like to think so, since it even stays active when all other UI Elements are going into hiding in the new EoD cinematic scenes. 

It's kind of jarring to see the lone Cashshop icon visible and highlighted even then. 

Benefit of doubt for now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Asum.4960 said:

I think it's unintended, or at least like to think so, since it even stays active when all other UI Elements are going into hiding in the new EoD cinematic scenes. 

It's kind of jarring to see the lone Cashshop icon visible and highlighted even then. 

Just browse the gemshop during cinematics, its perfectly normal.

If the icon highlighted had been the WvW icon I would have questioned the mental health of Anet, because that would have been scary.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Asum.4960 said:

It might have started as unintended bug, but since it's not the first time it appeared (and the previous case was around the launch of PoF) it's quite clear they do like how it works. Even if it is annoying.

• Like 2

Thought it was just me. Maybe it has something to do with the March sales? Though it would be preferable to have it light up once a day to show there's a new sale and have the icon go back to normal instead of standing out like how it is and it not even fading during cutscenes.

It's kind of hard to take an emotional moment seriously when the cash shop icon is lit up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Nah, this is fully intentional.

It's there to constantly remind you of the presence of the gemstore.

It may sound ridiculously simplistic, but ANet probably have figures showing an uptick in sales to support not reverting the change.

It's the kind of subtle influence you'd see in more morally corrupt F2P games.

• Like 3
  • Confused 4

I assumed it was a bug and the people who can fix it have been focusing on more important things, but it's been a week since the last patch, so I'm starting to wonder if they're just going to leave it. It wasn't mentioned in the patch notes or anything so I assume it's unintentional but Anet obviously don't think it's a big problem.

I hope they fix it eventually though because it is distracting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Poormany.4507 changed the title to Please change the Black Lion icon in the menu bar back to the unlit version

Bad Anet!
Bad!
Don't consider the mobile game sales model! 
Invest in obtaining new players, don't just cater to the established whales!
Whales will leave you for something shiny and different, and hardcore veterans don't have enough money to fund the game by themselves.  Focus on new players and throw a few shiny things at the whales now and then to maintain interest. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

If "hasn't been addressed by now" = feature, then GW2 is the most feature-laden MMO on the market. Not least of which the features introduced in EoD (e.g., salvage all including random bits of your inventory, which don't actually get salvaged).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Remember that the justification for removing female idle animation was because of immersion breaking during cutscenes. But that does not apply to cash shop. If you havent notice, anet design team is always hypocritical when it comes to the cashshop.  I still remember the whole trench coat legendary armor bs.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Shadowmoon.7986 said:

Remember that the justification for removing female idle animation was because of immersion breaking during cutscenes.

This doesn't make sense. Female characters have an idle animation separate from male characters.

And yeah, ANet, please revert the icon to what it was. Thank you.

Edited by Arnox.5128
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

Nah, this is fully intentional.

It's there to constantly remind you of the presence of the gemstore.

It may sound ridiculously simplistic, but ANet probably have figures showing an uptick in sales to support not reverting the change.

It's the kind of subtle influence you'd see in more morally corrupt F2P games.

Maybe I'm cynical, but I figured this too. I hope those who say it's a bug are right, but I have my doubts.

• Like 4

Another thing I noticed is that on my alt accounts, which don't have EoD, every time I log into them there's a large, animated icon telling me EoD is out now and to buy it. I close them but they always pop up the next time I log into them and PoF never did this from what I remember. It's getting kind of obnoxious, to be honest, and if I was a new player in a game this pushy bug or no bug I'd simply move on.

Between that and the cash shop icon being lit up for the past two weeks and no mention of it being bugged, it feels like they're really pushing spending money on the game since one or the other being bugged could potentially be understandable but both of them being bugged at the same time seems unlikely.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Zephire.8049 said:

Another thing I noticed is that on my alt accounts, which don't have EoD, every time I log into them there's a large, animated icon telling me EoD is out now and to buy it. I close them but they always pop up the next time I log into them and PoF never did this from what I remember. It's getting kind of obnoxious, to be honest, and if I was a new player in a game this pushy bug or no bug I'd simply move on.

Between that and the cash shop icon being lit up for the past two weeks and no mention of it being bugged, it feels like they're really pushing spending money on the game since one or the other being bugged could potentially be understandable but both of them being bugged at the same time seems unlikely.

I'm not trying to spell doom when I say this (just decline), but the game is probably declining in revenue considering its age and so they are getting desperately more aggressive in pushing monetization. Investors always want profits to be going up, up, up, no matter how unrealistic or self-sabotaging it is. Like when companies fire important people in the name of saving costs to get those profits up and then it hurts their ability to make profits in the long-term because they are missing people who did work vital to bringing the profits in (*cough* 2019 layoffs *cough*). Sorry, had a bit of a cough there, don't know what that was.

Oh for sure. And a game that pushes the cash shop while catering to veteran players (AKA people most invested in the game) has signaled it's planning (or already entered) maintenance mode, especially when it's an MMO. Between questionable design choices for the health of the game and pushing the cash shop (which is already tied to the trading post so players can't not see it if they use the TP), it feels like we're on the precipice with just the right amount of plausible deniability for it to go either way.

And if by chance it is a bug, they could at least say it because silence doesn't help this type of thing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, hudisgreat.8492 said:

From my experience  the Black Lion icon lights up when there are new sale items added to the list. Everyday this month they are adding new sales items. I do not think it is bugged at all.

Usually when it was just new sales items, the icon lit up blue until clicked, then went back to an unlit state. Currently, if you click on it, the blue goes away, but it stays lit up bright.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At a guess, I'd say EoD sales weren't very good, and that only people who already play GW2 bought it for the most part. So they're resorting to F2P monetisation strategies to try and make up for "lost revenue".

But see, I use an RSS feed reader with feeds from all major gaming sites (not MMO ones).

There have been precisely four stories from two sites about End of Dragons since the start of the year in my feed. And no stories at all about End of Dragons prior to this year (the two sites who reported on EoD were Blue's News and PCGamesN).

The marketing team aren't doing a bad job. They're not doing their job at all.

Edited by Mungrul.9358
Clarification of sources.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Arnox.5128 said:

This doesn't make sense. Female characters have an idle animation separate from male characters.

And yeah, ANet, please revert the icon to what it was. Thank you.

There was one specific animation which was removed from the idle animations. I think it was stretching and yawning, or something similar. Some people complained that when it played during NPC dialogue it was immersion breaking and looked like their character was being rude because the NPCs could be talking about something very serious and emotional and then their character was there making a big show of looking bored.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...