• Warr
    • Rev
    • Ranger
    • Engi
    • Thief
    • Necro
    • Mesmer
    • Stick to Ele kappa

Ok boys and girls, after the non-existent changes for Catalyst from the last beta to the release and now the nerfs I need a new main. I have 4k hours on Ele, played the whole Story, all of Open World, PvP and  WvW with it, even played some GvGs and T4 Fractals. But what shall I pick now? Maybe something where I don't feel like getting punched in the gut every patch... but that's up to you... 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I've been having fun on a Guardian. 
Its a nice feeling you do damage and get to stay up long enough. It's got the shouts and buff side of things going as well but with none of the damage loss.

Necro Harbinger was fun for a bit when tried it but Guardian was so much fun I basically replayed Heart of Thorns and fired off achievements as wasn't going down every 5 minutes.

Just now, Laken.9018 said:

I've been having fun on a Guardian. 
Its a nice feeling you do damage and get to stay up long enough. It's got the shouts and buff side of things going as well but with none of the damage loss.

Necro Harbinger was fun for a bit when tried it but Guardian was so much fun I basically replayed Heart of Thorns and fired off achievements as wasn't going down every 5 minutes.

Well, I main Hfb already for WvW and my guild runs and zerg play etc.

Maybe it's my fate...

Honestly, what is your preferred playstyle? What other playstyles do you like but haven't explored yet?

I think we need a little more info. 

But if you like Weaver, maybe the new Willbender could be fun. If you thought of going stealth, try mesmer or thief. I think LB/GS ranger might be an option as well because you pretty much fully utilize both weapon sets in a fight. 

Necromancer and non-willbender guardians might be a little too slow for you except maybe Harbinger. Thief and mesmer might be too your liking in that you kind of need to adjust your playstyle to your opponent. Herald and renegade also could be good for you, and especially vindicator. Idk much about warriors, but you could give them a thought. 

What exactly is it that you like about Elementalists? What game modes will you be using it for mostly and what roles do you enjoy filling?

Personally, my mains are: 

-Ele for open world, zerg wvw, sometimes roaming wvw. I love the Elementalist theme. 

-Necro for literally everything...I love having a minion army when I can (even if not optimal) tho don't use minions in zergs.

-deadeye for wvw roaming because I love the playstyle and fun duels and small fights you can have with it. I also use it for open world a bit. 

All have very different playstyles and I like the variety. 

Edited by SlitheSlivier.1908

11 minutes ago, Vissarion.6509 said:

Necro is the class that i LOVE after playing ele since release. ELE is trash tier for so many years.

Can confirm, necro has been treating me great after leaving my Ele main after tempest nerfs and catalyst feeling like playing a bus, constantly on the floor.  I loved ele, felt the most at home on it for a while.  but why play a class that requires more commitment to do the same damage i do now on necro which I got up to in one day after playing the now.. "easier" class.. so.... yeah.  

*crying inside*   🙃

• Like 2

I recently boosted a Necro and it's incredible how effective it is in just about every scenario with almost no practice required (except WvW bc I don't really play that so idk).  It was really eye opening and honestly kinda depressing to learn that other classes can literally hit 1 or 2 buttons to do what ele does in a 17-33 ability rotation while also throwing out boons and passively healing and having access to multiple easy to hit 2+ second CCs. On top of that my max HP is always between 25-35k. I would recommend Necro just to play through the game and actually experience it without being super focused on a complex rotation or constantly looking at the ability bar.

And in sPvP, I just used a build I found on Metabattle and I swear it's 100x more effective than any elementalist build I've ever tried. Elementalist as a profession is hot garbage and I regret the 100s of hours I wasted  trying to make it work.  The silver lining to Catalysts' release is that it finally got me playing other professions. I'll miss the aesthetic of elementalist more than anything, but the gameplay can kick rocks. Hot Garbage.

Guard has been my pocket main since I've come back and it feels so much nicer. Playing FB you get to feel like the team mom with the amount of support you can pull out of your kitten.

At anytime, I can drop Signet of Wrath for SYG for stability or Sanc for barbreak+projectile hate or even swap my elite for an AoE, multi-use stunbreaker, or bring the Condi Cleanse Mantra to help cleanse condi. Hell, I GET A FIRE FIELD THAT DOES NUTTY DAMAGE and it also cleanses conditions. Not because I had to trait for it or because it does bad damage or anything, no, it just does. Because why not. I love feeling useful and being rewarded for my understanding of a fight and having read my skills.

Oh, and I'm still a dps btw. I still do competitive damage doing all that.

For ele, if I want that same sastification of having understood my skills and used them to positively influence the experience of my allies I get: Aftershock for all of 4! seconds, Eye of the Storm, and Rebound, and that's if I can afford the DPS hit. And they're all in Tempest, which is the only spec for Ele I really like because it's the only one that has those classic "Big flashy mage spell" vibes.

I can't even get class fantasy sastification out of it for roleplaying because I made my Ele in 2012 for the express purpose of setting things on fire and blowing things up with fire and my Guardian does that better too.

If you never want to be nerfed, pick Guardian, Engi or Necro. Those three are Anet's favorites, and no matter what, they'll always stay on top cause reasons. 

I made a mistake of caring for my Ele after years of Mesmer abuse finally got me to try another class, so i'll just say here that you don't want to make and care for a Mesmer. If anyone has got it worse than Ele, it's Mesmer. But after playing with ele and its elites for a while, yeah, i get you guys now... It's sad.

Well, fook it, i already play Hfb for WvW in zerg fights and with my guild and I don't really like the aesthetic of necro so I will stick with my ele, those stupid devs won't take the fun away from me, I am better than them...

And if anyone from Arenanet or even better the class design and balance department is reading this: Go kitten yourself!

Can't go wrong with guardian. Has consistently stayed at the top for so many years, and it can do almost anything with ease. It rarely gets nerfed, but when it does it gets huge compensation immediately. Just look at that mantra of solace change. They could have replaced aegis with protection or resolution, but instead they went like "why not both?". On the other hand, elementalist can be bottom of the barrel while getting nerfbat after nerfbat with zero compensation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I recommend Necro and Engi

Necro is a caster and its strong, all 3 specs are valid, you can be Scourge as heal support or dps, Reaper as pdps/cdps, or Harbinger as quickness

Engi would be more like Ele on the button smashing part, several kits to switch and F1-F4 to press, all 3 specs are valid too, quickness Scapper, dps Holosmith, alacrity Mechanist, the only down side of Engi is not look like a caster

Edited by lunaticdawn.1860