Boons need re-evaluating.

Puck.3697

I don't know how alone I am in this opinon. However I think once again seeing nerfs made based on golem results proves there is a problem

This boon system I can only assume is to create some level of trinity in regards to group and Raid formations. 

The problem is when you create a system where everything's balanced around optimal boon uptimes being 50% damage increases and as far as some rotations not even being functionally possible without optimal uptime (catalyst and Condi Weavers rotations being a example of this) 

If they nerfed boons down and buffed the proffessions to reclose the gap it would mean open world content alike dragons end by default would be easier without the requirement to team coordination for boons. 

It'd make open world content builds stronger by default solving the problems the sustain nerfs caused for some players. 

While only getting equalising results from strikes / fractals and at most maybe reducing the requirements of group comp in the average groups. 

Repeatively nerfing things based on golem results on metrics not achievable by the vast majority of the playerbase isnt fixing anything. It's driving the game into another meta with only 3 speccs like PoF. 

And spreading boons to every proffession just enforces the fact Anet are aware of this problem, and somehow things just make everyone do everything where they could spend their resources on actually making new speccs unique instead of having to go through a thousand layers to make sure every specc can tick some box's. 

And before someone says "this would impact competitive natures damage if u did this" they can balance the damage co-efficents and more individually between PvE and PvP. This would require only a balance patch to stop that rolling.

Increase the responsibility of individuals for their DPS and reduce the responsibility of the commander / builds to give them the DPS. This game have enough easy rotations and more to prevent this becoming a gate keep and auto attack builds still exist. 

It'd encourage more players to engage with it lowering the quantity of knowledge required. 

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

There is no way that ANET could even remotely try to re-balance the game around the removal or sever nerf of Quickness and Alacrity. They are already pretty bad at balance over all, they only have like 1 or 2 real balance patches a year and they usually end up just making things worse.

They made almost half of the new Elite specs have a build to give Alacrity or Quickness.

Personally I have more "hope" for them trying to make GW3 and go back to the Trinity system that is tried and true and works rather than believing they can "fix" the current boon share kitten of GW2.

Edited by Ezekel.6394
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Xenesis.6389 said:

Full blown boon based combat was always a terribad idea.

I guess seven years to realize that is better late than never.

I'm much newer to the game sadly, so haven't been here 7 years haha it's been a opinon of mine since near starting however, I thought atleast come EoD when this problem was highlighted in Weavers design that they'd atleast stop building speccs that physically can't work outside of optimal boons 

14 hours ago, Ezekel.6394 said:

There is no way that ANET could even remotely try to re-balance the game around the removal or sever nerf of Quickness and Alacrity. They are already pretty bad at balance over all, they only have like 1 or 2 real balance patches a year and they usually end up just making things worse.

They made almost half of the new Elite specs have a build to give Alacrity or Quickness.

Personally I have more "hope" for them trying to make GW3 and go back to the Trinity system that is tried and true and works rather than believing they can "fix" the current boon share kitten of GW2.

I disagree it's fixable, the problem is primarily there's no where near enough players voicing their concerns on this. 

Mainly because most stay solo and don't group do aren't quite aware of how much it shines how restricted we are to be balanced with these boons and what they're losing. 

1 hour ago, Daddy.8125 said:

I disagree it's fixable, the problem is primarily there's no where near enough players voicing their concerns on this. 

Mainly because most stay solo and don't group do aren't quite aware of how much it shines how restricted we are to be balanced with these boons and what they're losing. 

ANET has no line of communication with players about balance. They have gone out of there way to never mention the balance team and during any kind of live stream to say that they are not part of it. All we get is a short paragraph of what is usually nonsense about how they think the class is doing or what they want the class to be.

Case in point look at the recent changes to Catalyst or a little further back the changing boons to be limited to 5 man and not 10 man.

Edited by Ezekel.6394
  • Thanks 1

I do not agree with what was said, simply because making everyone stronger baseline and nerfing boons won't make the "optimal rotations" easier to pull off. And it's often players trying to perform those "optimal rotation" that drag down the party/group/raid/squad.

16 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

I do not agree with what was said, simply because making everyone stronger baseline and nerfing boons won't make the "optimal rotations" easier to pull off. And it's often players trying to perform those "optimal rotation" that drag down the party/group/raid/squad.

While agreed. 

However on another terms:

It's fair to kick someone based on their performance, while it's very unfair for someone to be booted because they can't perform due to barriers existing outside their control being put in place. 

If your a underperformer it should be because you aren't playing correctly. 

Not because the games nerfed you to a state that boons are mandatory for you to perform. Every other mmorpg gets this right. WoW. FFXIV and more. You are in control of about 80% of your DPS and optimal buffs etc etc carry the last 20%. 

While I'm gw2 your bringing 40% of your capacity to the raid and become entirely dependent on the team to provide the other 60% 

Even from a RP point of view. It makes 0 sense. 

You solo'd a kitten god. But you can't even use your attacks properly without someone giving you alacrity 😂😂😂 

Boons make this game too requiring to abide by. "trinity" which enforces specific group comps. It offers no flexibility and oftenly drags the game into a position where u stack 3 speccs and everything else is left on the bench. 

PoF was a result of boons. FB / scourge / renegades dominance was because of boons. 

The cycle wont end until they do something with boons effectively. 

Edited by Daddy.8125
  • Like 1

Honestly miss the gw1 days of hexes, conditions, and their unique forms of boons. The unique factor of skill effects provided a bunch of viability for every profession because you didn't really have the same things on each profession. My issue with GW2 is since everyone gets the same stuff and it isn't unique, whoever provides the largest variety and the largest amounts is the winner. You could take a monk healer and ritualist healer and they both had their strengths and weakness, but they had uniqueness about them that kinda made them strong at certain things. Ritualist had unremovable buffs in the form of spirit weapons and some strong heals that cost life and aoe spirit buffs that kinda acted like a different form of protection spells that couldnt be removed by boon removal but could be killed. Monks had a bunch of unique boons and provided a lot of protection as well as direct heals and hex removal. In gw2 its like 2 things are viable, but the one provides more of the same stuff so pick that one.