Blade Sworn: The Counters and The Countered

oscuro.9720

Hey everybody, I was hoping we could start a thread discussing the classes that counter Blade Sworn and the classes that Blade Sworn Counters. Maybe some people will be able to share approaches or strategies to some classes that allow a more effective play style. 

BS gets hard countered by condi druid/anything that spams immob (unless you are running discipline).

BS doesn't do very well against massive condi bursts (like harbinger), unless you're running mending instead of combat stimulant. You could also run rune of the soldier for extra condi cleanse, but that comes with a decent DPS loss.

I'm not sure I would pick BS as a hard counter to anything in particular. It has the tools to hang in there against many things, but I don't think it has a clear edge the way "thief > warrior", for example.

Current Vindicators, especially Retribution ones, have enough stab, weakness and gap close ability, with heals and barrier and evades to completely make fun of Bladesworn. GS5 obviously being a red thing for warriors and Revs tend to keep that for our anime pose, o how appropriate. Needs some serious dodge management and baiting to even stun them and deal some dmg when they don't have a stunbreak and stab.

Also, a big counter has been capable Deadeyes. They just port around you and nothing you do can catch up to them. Bountiful theft ensures DT fails 50% of the times and their mobility is enough to dodge and leave the area vs our trash range options. Can only catch up to them after you burn through most skills and somehow keep them revealed (tho the tactics abuse build can do this), and then pressure them. Hope nothing recharges on their bar lol.

Condi iterations of many specs seriously pressure BsW and especially torment specs since...our big move is to sit still and wait that epic torment tick to go up for us to do any meaningful dmg. Particularly annoying are Harbingers as said, Mirages and Renegades when built for it.

Power Scrappers are overtuned and thus beyond reach of this spec. You can't catch them, you can't outdmg them, you can't CC them. 

That's it for now, talking about equal to superior skill enemies here, not your normal pug that you and I can kill with some effort.

Generally for what BsW can counter, it's a matchup thing, but Core Thieves and Daredevils with sword and even DP, can be countered despite the blatant issue that exists in Deadeye too, that being Bountiful Theft. The unblindable burst carries.

Mechanist iterations can be countered. Unlike their perma Superspeed cousins, they are less combat mobile, unless built for some meme rifle build with rocket boots and signet to pop in and out, difficult to do any proper dmg to BsW. Also the stuns can easily decommission the Mech. 

Edited by Grand Marshal.4098
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Current Vindicators, especially Retribution ones, have enough stab, weakness and gap close ability, with heals and barrier and evades to completely make fun of Bladesworn. GS5 obviously being a red thing for warriors and Revs tend to keep that for our anime pose, o how appropriate. Needs some serious dodge management and baiting to even stun them and deal some dmg when they don't have a stunbreak and stab.

Also, a big counter has been capable Deadeyes. They just port around you and nothing you do can catch up to them. Bountiful theft ensures DT fails 50% of the times and their mobility is enough to dodge and leave the area vs our trash range options. Can only catch up to them after you burn through most skills and somehow keep them revealed (tho the tactics abuse build can do this), and then pressure them. Hope nothing recharges on their bar lol.

Condi iterations of many specs seriously pressure BsW and especially torment specs since...our big move is to sit still and wait that epic torment tick to go up for us to do any meaningful dmg. Particularly annoying are Harbingers as said, Mirages and Renegades when built for it.

Power Scrappers are overtuned and thus beyond reach of this spec. You can't catch them, you can't outdmg them, you can't CC them. 

That's it for now, talking about equal to superior skill enemies here, not your normal pug that you and I can kill with some effort.

Generally for what BsW can counter, it's a matchup thing, but Core Thieves and Daredevils with sword and even DP, can be countered despite the blatant issue that exists in Deadeye too, that being Bountiful Theft. The unblindable burst carries.

Mechanist iterations can be countered. Unlike their perma Superspeed cousins, they are less combat mobile, unless built for some meme rifle build with rocket boots and signet to pop in and out, difficult to do any proper dmg to BsW. Also the stuns can easily decommission the Mech. 

I’m going to push back on a few of these because I disagree with some of them.

I don’t think Vindicator is a counter (though blade very clearly doesn’t counter it). With the line dodge, I’ve actually found vindicator fights to be fairly even when dueling players who I would consider good at Herald (so assuming it translates). Saving DT for when they are in their dodge gives reliable hits for big damage. Yes, Gs5 hurts if you are caught, but it’s easy to dodge. You can also maintain some decent pressure when they close in melee running axe. 

Condition mirage I would actually argue is countered by Blade depending on what you are running. Cyclone, blooming fire, and all dragon triggers can clear clones, severely hampering their condition output (like spell used to do before FC was erased), and the slash being in lockable and unblindable helps void a lot of mirage’s defense tools, and can reliably counter-burst against Chaos Storm. 

Again, this is my impressions going against players who, when on the same class prior to expansion, were of equal or higher skill level than me and my spell. 

Edited by oscuro.9720

1 hour ago, Caedmon.6798 said:

I havent tried it yet but am immob spamming DE should shut them down pretty fast.

This. Immob spamming anything, really. Taking tactics instead of discipline is great sustain but, oof...Roaring Reveille doesn't quite match it. Escape sigil helps, but after those two are gone it's either die or use a Shake it Off! charge.

8 minutes ago, Curennos.9307 said:

This. Immob spamming anything, really. Taking tactics instead of discipline is great sustain but, oof...Roaring Reveille doesn't quite match it. Escape sigil helps, but after those two are gone it's either die or use a Shake it Off! charge.

Yup,first shake it off will be countered by the De using shadow step in his back if the bs moves at him,and rinse repeat  untill he popped his second ammo count. Immob spamm them in team fights where they are already pretty immobile,and immob spamm will shut them down completely ( Because theyre bombed by other condis aswell,hopefully..where they already need to use shake it off or mending ) if your team focus him at that time aswell. Or he will be forced out of blade and using regular weapons where hes severely lacking dmg wise besides some mobility if he has gs or sword.

Edited by Caedmon.6798

On 3/15/2022 at 10:55 PM, oscuro.9720 said:

Counters Bladesworn:

- Harbinger

- Reaper 

- Chill in general

Bladesworn Counters:

- all Mesmer specs

- Spellbreaker

As Mirage I had an endless duel with a bladesworn on capture point (pvp). The shouts are too strong on BS. I couldn't kill them, but they could not kill me either.