What's the point of playing Warrior?

Kalthea.4326

I've been reading around the forums after years of maining a Warrior and feeling exceedingly lackluster, boring and pidgeon-holed, and it seems like the general consensus is about the same. So I'm kind of forced to ask it at this point:

With the lack of support options, boons, healing, and tanking, the only thing really left is damage. And then some more damage? Like, I can understand Spellbreakers being a PvP spec and stripping boons, yeah yeah, I get that. But what about PvE? It seems that my options tend to be "Berserker/Banner" and that's it. I honestly can't find a reason to keep playing my Warrior other than I've had the character since beta.

Anyone else feeling this way?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Because Anet makes the game they want, not the one the customers want and warrior has no place on it.

Warrior decline started all the way back in HoT when they started nerfing Berzerker, then it got a pulse for a few months after PoF but it quickly flat lined and was taken to the morgue after that.

It has stayed fertilizing the flowers ever since.

Edited by Apolo.5942
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I have never felt this way ... because I don't play with people that tell me how to play the game. Always have, do and will enjoying playing my way on warrior. 

I'm glad at least someone has that view point. But I like supporting, and looking at what Warrior has to offer, it's exceedingly lack luster in comparison to the competition that the other Professions provide.

Edited by Kalthea.4326

3 minutes ago, Kalthea.4326 said:

I'm glad at least someone has that view point. But I like supporting, and looking at what Warrior has to offer, it's exceedingly lack luster in comparison to the competition that the other Professions provide.

To be clear, it's not really a view ... it's how I've decided to play the game, and it works. The sad part is that more people don't choose to play like this. 

Anet says they have plans to give warriors a role like quickness or alacrity sharing through banners in the summer. If you are still around, you will see it. 

Edited by Obtena.7952
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

4 minutes ago, Kalthea.4326 said:

I mean, we are on what? year 8, the banner rework has been requested since what year 4? and odds are even its going to be a kitten rework.. so....

Edited by Apolo.5942
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

To be clear, it's not really a view ... it's how I've decided to play the game, and it works. The sad part is that more people don't choose to play like this. 

Anet says they have plans to give warriors a role like quickness or alacrity sharing through banners in the summer. If you are still around, you will see it. 

A re-work on banners sounds decent, but I won't be holding my breath on it. Alacrity is a terribly overpowered boon that needs to be removed from the game, because as long as it exists, everything is going to be designed around it existing and being 100% maintained, which is a terrible way to have your design work. Quickness is a good team buff, and I'd be glad to see that added into the Warrior's repertoire, but I'd also like to see Protection as well. Hopefully they'll provide more than just those two boons.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Whats the point? What’s the point of eating? Or sleeping? Or humping? 
The point is coded into you. At the most base level, it’s who you are. It’s what you do. There doesn’t need to be a point. 

Very philosophical, but in all seriousness, it was in regards to the other Professions, not speaking existentially.

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Kalthea.4326 said:

Very philosophical, but in all seriousness, it was in regards to the other Professions, not speaking existentially.

Okay, in regards to other professions; 

Whats the point of warrior? Warrior is the living manifestation of a thousand exploding suns. With nothing but fists and a pointy stick, warrior has ascended to heights every other class hopes to reach with their silly gimmicks and sparkly flashes. 

They depend on morals and virtues to strengthen their resolve to fight? Warrior is resolved to sacrifice everything to rip their head off because they are a weak coward. 

They stand upon the shoulders of the heroes of yore? Cowards. Warrior will kill you then go back in time and punch each of your weak little “heroes” in the face. 

You use nature as your companion to strengthen you in combat? Coward. Warrior will burn down every forest in earth just to kill one person.

You sneak in the shadows to end your opponents? Coward. Warrior let’s warrior’s nuts hang low, takes out warrior’s horn and bugles at the world until warrior’s foes come forward to be slaughtered by the hundreds. 

You use robots? Coward. Pointy stick break silly golem. 

Illusions? Coward. Warrior doesn’t need fake warriors getting in warriors way. 

You launch fireball? Warrior kicks you in the nuts. Coward. 

You control the dead? Who do you think killed them in the first place. 

Warrior does not need these fancy things. Warrior is the one who will take on the world, who will kill fate, and burn all warrior’s foes to cinder. 

Edited by oscuro.9720
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Whats the point of warrior? Warrior is the living manifestation of a thousand exploding suns. With nothing but fists and a pointy stick, warrior has ascended to heights every other class hopes to reach with their silly gimmicks and sparkly flashes. 

They depend on morals and virtues to strengthen their resolve to fight? Warrior is resolved to sacrifice everything to rip their head off because they are a weak coward. 

They stand upon the shoulders of the heroes of yore? Cowards. Warrior will kill you then go back in time and punch each of your weak little “heroes” in the face. 

You use nature as your companion to strengthen you in combat? Coward. Warrior will burn down every forest in earth just to kill one person.

You sneak in the shadows to end your opponents? Coward. Warrior let’s warrior’s nuts hang low, takes out warrior’s horn and bugles at the world until warrior’s foes come forward to be slaughtered by the hundreds. 

Warrior does not need these fancy things. Warrior is the one who will take on the world, who will kill fate, and burn all warrior’s foes to cinder. 

He's doing the thing again yesss

• Like 3

I think it's difficult to do some classic mmo trope like warrior in general. You have to account for it typically being a melee and vulnerable class that needs a lot of defensives to make up for its traditional antiquated playstyle but you also want it to feel rewarding and high risk for that vulnerability if you don't give it defensives. 

Warrior in my experience in most games tends to either be REALLY broken, or just fall flat. 

Warrior in this game, can easily become a low risk high reward, partially because they think out of the box by giving them ranged damage options and high damaging abilities in general, but then they also have high natural toughness from being heavy and high base health which means they need LESS defensives in certain situations which can lead to that low risk high reward gameplay. 

I've already seen some bladesworns running pretty punishing, aggressive, and tanky builds in the arena so I'm sure it's the same issue there's always been with warrior - You can either run the right utilities and the right build and have particularly keen awareness of player animations and when to use your utilities to mitigate their windows of opporunity, or you'll just be floundering. 

In pve - yeah, I don't think bladesworn is cutting it. In my experience, warrior in pve has always been pretty high risk high reward if you're going for dps but the gunblade and bladesworn utilities are pretty boring. It's just a very clunky spec. 

1 hour ago, oscuro.9720 said:

Understood, you like the fantasy, got it.

1 hour ago, Bast.7253 said:

I think it's difficult to do some classic mmo trope like warrior in general. You have to account for it typically being a melee and vulnerable class that needs a lot of defensives to make up for its traditional antiquated playstyle but you also want it to feel rewarding and high risk for that vulnerability if you don't give it defensives. 

Warrior in my experience in most games tends to either be REALLY broken, or just fall flat. 

Warrior in this game, can easily become a low risk high reward, partially because they think out of the box by giving them ranged damage options and high damaging abilities in general, but then they also have high natural toughness from being heavy and high base health which means they need LESS defensives in certain situations which can lead to that low risk high reward gameplay. 

I've already seen some bladesworns running pretty punishing, aggressive, and tanky builds in the arena so I'm sure it's the same issue there's always been with warrior - You can either run the right utilities and the right build and have particularly keen awareness of player animations and when to use your utilities to mitigate their windows of opporunity, or you'll just be floundering. 

In pve - yeah, I don't think bladesworn is cutting it. In my experience, warrior in pve has always been pretty high risk high reward if you're going for dps but the gunblade and bladesworn utilities are pretty boring. It's just a very clunky spec. 

See, this was the chance for Warriors to be given things that support those around them. Increase team morale, help boost up those around you as a form of support, and give your TEAM a chance to be just that, a TEAM. PvP stuff is nice and all, and I can understand the classes functioning different there, but I also believe that PvP should be balanced completely separately from PvE. And on the PvE front, I don't think Warrior really cuts it on any spec other than Zerker, for both Power and Condi. I've tried my hand at making custom builds, and every time I end up landing on almost the exact same things. It'll be nice to see changes in the future, assuming they're for the better and allow the class to shine for more than just two banners and a trait.

21 minutes ago, medivh.4725 said:

The new pistol has no range and is offhand. That means I couldn't equipt a shield or less a warhorn.
A warrior without shield or warhorn just feels less of a warrior. 

I was sorely upset when I wasn't given the option of a full ranged loadout with dual pistols and a rifle. I think a gunpowder themed warrior would have been fun, utilizing more explosive themes, perhaps buffing their teammates with some shouts or banners, maybe even allowing a mid-ranged pistol/shield combo for have a phalanx style of play. Something more interesting than more greatsword but now with bigger cuts. The idea behind Warrior's design should have been about its arsenal, and its ability to adapt to a situation. But we can't even swap weapons in combat with the new spec, so what's the point?

• Like 3

I've noted it before, but warrior has a physicality and crunch about it that other classes simply don't.

It doesn't matter how effective or not its numbers are; to me it will always feel better to play thanks to a combination of visceral animations and sound effects.

A lot of other specs may very well perform better, but they also feel very... anaemic. A lot of them are just "press button, thing happens", with less pleasing feedback than Warrior.

Also, I find Warrior was made to excel at control, which is the third aspect of the game that seems to take a back seat to DPS and support these days.

Unfortunately, this role has been watered down over time with the excessive increase in stability availability.

And maybe that's the secret to making a new role for warrior. Increase the importance of control, by making stability/breakbars less effective and by reducing access to hard control effects to other professions and specs.

• Like 1

Play it because I like, it is simple as that. And being meta not necessarily means fun, since I used to love necromancer but nowadays I just use it for pact vendors.

Why I like it? Not because of some intricate min max discussion, but I dunno, it is warrior. Then again, you may want to invalidate my answer because I sure as hell don't know to play wvw well yet (and since I've been playing since release, not very hopeful I ever will lol).  I am not without critics to anet, but it is the class I enjoy

• Like 1

I like it because combat feels more like I'm playing a fighting/brawler game than what I've experienced with other classes.
I like heavy armor.
Axes are cool.
It's simple (less F skills, etc.).

It has way less utility than other classes and doesn't have top dps. But it's fun, so that's why I play it. It doesn't have to be an OP profession to be fun. Do I wish it was better? Yeah. But, meh...wishes don't make for fun.

• Like 1

Glad there are folks out there with proper feelings on the class, and much respect for enjoying the gameplay loop. The simplicity of Warrior was what originally drew me to the class ages ago, and even though I've been arguing against points that people make, I do try my best to enjoy the class. I suppose I just have trouble because I mainly support in other games, and I feel like I'm missing out on that with my main.

51 minutes ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Well, how would you know that in the first place? Being outperformed is more about the player than the class they play. 

You see, if you give one guy a gun, and the other guy a stick, no matter how much skill the guy with the stick has, he will probably be outperformed by the guy with the gun

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2