Dry Top needs a direction tool for chests or something

I've been revisiting this map for Return to Dry Top and these find chests objectives are demoralizing and painful gameplay.

I remember playing Dry Top wayyyy back when, I think back when it was the current living story, so it was way more populated. This also meant that during sandstorms, there was a good chance people would be pinging chests when they found out or calling it out in chat and in general, it was bearable enough because it was more of a group effort.

Fast forward to now, I'm pretty much on my own (usually a few people running around looking for chests and that's it) and even with using a map of where they can show up to figure out where to check next, I'm finding it painfully tedious and tiresome trying to track down just 10 for each variation of the achievement. Some sandstorms I've found a decent amount, other times I've found as little as 2 and I have to wait for sandstorm again or go do something else or whatever.

And between squinting through a literal simulated sandstorm and dealing with mobs, fun is about the furthest thing from my mind.

So like the title says, I think it'd be helpful if you went back and added some kind of directional tool like the "warmer, warmer," type of thing from one of those living story episodes. At least then, there'd be something to do other than squinting through sand and checking recorded map spots. Probably won't matter by the time I knock these out, but maybe if you listen it can save some other people trouble with this awful set of objectives.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, medivh.4725 said:

Did you turn on the label indicator? Without it you will be almost certainly clueless

Is that a native option or are you talking about using an addon? I take it you mean something that makes the names more persistently visible so you can spot chests more easily or something?

4 hours ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Is that a native option or are you talking about using an addon? I take it you mean something that makes the names more persistently visible so you can spot chests more easily or something?

It’s native and a setting option.  Something about ‘interact able’ items.  They remain yellow to you with line of sight.

*Edited to get the terminology correct*

This is copied text from this link:

https://gw2mists.com/guides/beginner/wvw-beginners-settings-guide

User Interface settings

Let's go through some user interface settings. These will help you do less and see more critical information on your screen.

• Show All Enemy Names and Show All Usable Object Names are settings you want to turn on as well. This will make it easier to spot if something is an enemy and also spot interactable objects like Tactivators inside towers, keeps and Stonemist.
Edited by Strider Pj.2193
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Strider Pj.2193 said:

It’s native and a setting option.  Something about ‘interact able’ items.  They remain yellow to you with line of sight.

*Edited to get the terminology correct*

This is copied text from this link:

https://gw2mists.com/guides/beginner/wvw-beginners-settings-guide

User Interface settings

Let's go through some user interface settings. These will help you do less and see more critical information on your screen.

• Show All Enemy Names and Show All Usable Object Names are settings you want to turn on as well. This will make it easier to spot if something is an enemy and also spot interactable objects like Tactivators inside towers, keeps and Stonemist.

Thanks, I'll give that a try and see if it makes any difference.

28 minutes ago, Hashberry.4510 said:

Hold down the left ctrl key to display these momentarily if you don’t wan’t a permanent setting change (wish I had known this back then).

Appreciate the thought. I have tried this in the past, but found it too difficult to move properly and hold it down for this particular use.

Tried it just now with names showing. Def makes a huge difference spotting the chests. Still in favor of what I suggested in the OP tho (I feel it would make it optionally more like a mini-game). Doing it with names showing is casting into sharp relief the absurdity of going around trying to methodically cover every spot they can be at to check it to see if it's one of the ones used this time. Doubt that's in the spirit of it being like a treasure hunt.

• Like 1