My Friend's Account Was Stolen and A-net Does Nothing

My friend had his account stolen by a hacker.

They changed his email out from under him while he was at work, so he couldn't even dispute the email change.

He was turned around at every door on how "we can no longer provide further assistance."

I am fuming right now, we just got his turtle unlocked. He had a full legendary armor set and this was his ONLY MMO. His account is absolutely gone and you refuse to do anything. I will vouch that it's not him logging on the last day or so. I can get a guild full of people saying that their account was hacked. What policy is making it so people who have their accounts stolen get the cold shoulder treatment? I am angered to know that my account could be stolen and i'm just crap out of luck.

Edit: Yes, I could put the account on blast here on the forums, but 1. I don't want A-Net banning me for inciting harassment against a thief and 2. I don't want y'all spamming his inbox (yet)

Edited by Dabuddah.4298
Clarifications
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

Your friend's email may be compromised, as well, and the nefarious person intercepting the correspondence to and from the CS Team.  It would be unusual for the CS Team to close correspondence only a day or two after; they almost always lock any accounts that are in dispute.

Have your friend contact the CS Team with a different, secure, email account.

Good luck.

Securing Your Account With Authentication – Guild Wars 2 Support

I assume he never had 2FA running? 

However, did the 'hacker' knew every bit of his account?

I Want to Change My Email – Guild Wars 2 Support

At this time, you will not be able to update your email address on your own. This is a necessary safeguard to prevent hackers from altering your account credentials if they manage to obtain your login details.

20 minutes ago, Dinova.8597 said:

Securing Your Account With Authentication – Guild Wars 2 Support

I assume he never had 2FA running? 

However, did the 'hacker' knew every bit of his account?

I Want to Change My Email – Guild Wars 2 Support

At this time, you will not be able to update your email address on your own. This is a necessary safeguard to prevent hackers from altering your account credentials if they manage to obtain your login details.

no i did not have 2 step authentication. i had a problem with old phone and lost number, but costumer support helped and removed it. kinda biting me in the kitten now. 

Edited by Nemisback.7531

16 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Your friend's email may be compromised, as well, and the nefarious person intercepting the correspondence to and from the CS Team.  It would be unusual for the CS Team to close correspondence only a day or two after; they almost always lock any accounts that are in dispute.

Have your friend contact the CS Team with a different, secure, email account.

Good luck.

i had talked to 5 different CS. i just kept getting passed along to the next. one CS was actually gonna help from the looks of it, then did a 180 i provided all the answers to the question. (ie. full name, access keys, ect ect.) then got told, couldn't verify and was shot down. real bummer too as i had great costumer support from them too in the past. made a certain gift that was supposed to be for gift of sigil, and made a gift for raid armor. they where quick and gave me the mats used to craft gift of sigil. (legendary item) and the one time i get hacked, im told "there's nothing they can do" 

• Like 2

its just a real bummer that my 27k achievements, legendary armor/weapons/trinkets. 25k blues, 10k greens, 8k yellows, all my WvW potions, 4,660+ rank. perm contracts, ect ect is just gone. 9 years worth of work just gone and am told nothing they can do. not very kind CS at a time of need & help. not like they can just re-roll account back. 

Edited by Nemisback.7531

2 hours ago, Nemisback.7531 said:

no i did not have 2 step authentication. i had a problem with old phone and lost number, but costumer support helped and removed it. kinda biting me in the kitten now. 

It defaults to email authentication when you're not using the other 2FA options, so either the email was compromised, or they were able to bypass it by being on the same IP range.

It also frustrating to me that we can see that someone logged in 4 days ago according the the guild page and we know it wasn't the actual owner so if A-net is looking into it, why isn't the account locked? Why are they letting the hacker run around with the account while they are supposed to be verifying the owner?  

4 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Either something fishy is going on, or the nefarious person(s) have accessed the true owner's email/computer and have learned everything they need to know to verify ownership. 

An e-mail hack can be quite devastating, especially if it still contained the purchase receipts of the GW2 purchases. (Invoices, CD-keys)

Let this be a lesson to always have 2-factor authentication enabled. An you don't even have to use a smartphone for this, there are compatible authenticators for Windows as well.
https://github.com/harvardinformatics/JAuth

9 minutes ago, TheQuickFox.3826 said:

An e-mail hack can be quite devastating, especially if it still contained the purchase receipts of the GW2 purchases. (Invoices, CD-keys)

Let this be a lesson to always have 2-factor authentication enabled. An you don't even have to use a smartphone for this, there are compatible authenticators for Windows as well.
https://github.com/harvardinformatics/JAuth

As I stated in my first post...

speaking from past experience i had my account hacked once out of the blue in the past around 1-2 years ago, i contacted the support immediatly  i found out, ( i figured my account was hacked, i was on a break from gw2 at that period of time ) but i had 2 emails saying that i purchased 2x 400 gems, even i didnt, so i checked my bank account and nothing was taken so i was confused tried to login and realized i couldnt access my account.. to make the long story shorter, at the end of the day they locked my account during the whole process and i was able to prove my identity aswell as past purchases and ip's and what not to then regain access to my account. i highly doubt the support cant help ur friend, i think it is rather a question of being certain that 1. they are helping the right invidual and 2. that things are  being done the right way. Now if ur friend got mad / raged / didnt provide enough info etc then it makes it very difficult for them to prove identity and so on, i cant see why they wouldnt do same process with ur friend as in my case.

And here i am to this day, still having access to my account playing just fine, still have no idea how they managed to hack my account and trying to use fraud cc's on it and so on but it sadly is a thing that can happen to the most random target it seems.

Dont Lose hope tho again proving identity and time will solve the issue and until then they will most likely freeze the account anyways and even if lets say all items were  sold on it they will roll it back to the state where it wasnt, this happened on my account aswell i could see in trading post history that most of my items were sold even i had them on me.

It is safe to assume that the "hacker" has access to your friend's e-mail account.

It is also safe to assume that your friend has not secured his computer properly and has a key logger on it, which a virus check would detect. That, or he logged into his game and/or e-mail account on a public computer which wasn't properly secured.

In any case, it's recommendable that he eliminates any security issues before proceeding to change passwords for any of his accounts (game account, e-mail account, bank, paypal, ...).

• Sad 1