Is it worth it to do precursor collection? (in your view)

I realize this is a subjective question, but I'm curious how people feel about this. I'm working on a legendary and thought I might try it at first, but it seems to be a pretty involved process to finally get the specific precursor and I'd probably find it easier to farm the gold. It also seems to involve doing a number of fractals for the collection and I'm not sure I want to take on that kind of content and navigate the whole group expectations right now.

Personally I wouldn't bother. The collections are one thing and some might considering them fun or at least a nice side project when there's nothing else to do, but the crafting involved usually is just way more expensive than just buying the precursor of the TP.

• Thanks 2

For me it was worth it. When I made my first legendary precursor crafting didn't exist so I bought one from the Trading Post because the only alternative was throwing exotics in the Mystic Forge hoping to get lucky. After precursor crafting came out I made another legendary and found I really enjoyed the process. It did take a long time, and did involve doing some things I wouldn't normally do. I had to get my first infusion to be able to do the Solid Ocean fractal (but it was just one of the cheap agony resistance ones, not the expensive ones with special effects). But I enjoyed it and after that I found it bothered me that I hadn't done it for my first legendary, it now felt like I'd missed a big chunk of the process.  So I did the collection for that precursor too.

The one complication is I didn't need a second legendary shortbow and selling the precursor would have resulted in an overall loss, so I actually went on to make the legendary weapon again then sold it. (For about 5 minutes I had almost 2,000g but I'd already thought about what I'd do with it so that lasted about 5 minutes.)

If you just want a legendary weapon and making it feels like something you just have to get out the way to accomplish your goal then it's almost certainly not worth it. If your top priority is getting it as cheaply as possible then it's also not likely to be worth it because it's usually cheaper to buy a precursor than make it. But for some people it feels important to go through the whole process to feel like they've earned it, or they enjoy the challenge.

My advice would be to look up the legendary you want to make on the Wiki or a fan site guide and work your way through the different steps to find out exactly what's required to make it. You might find it's not that bad and there's nothing in there you can't do, or you might decide it's absolutely not worthwhile for you. But that's not a decision someone else can make for you.

• Like 2

i actively avoid making any legendary with a collection and any i own with a collection i just outright bought the leggy from tp [incinerator bifrost the dreamer kudzu] im nearly finished making myself xiuqautl much less hassle than my other choice H.O.P.E and i will use scepter alot more. when it comes to legendary i choose convenience over a long drawn out process. legendary = prestige is an illusion when it comes to the weapons, i hear people say gen 2 is prestige but i  have done mine with  barely any farming and bought everything else on tp and im just about to make it when i get my last few spirit shards. bring the salt.

Edited by Dreamatics.4987
  • Like 1

Personally I don't like the collection quests. I tried it for the Juggernaut weapon and I was turned off by the end of the first collection round. It's more of a task list rather than an adventure, and there's still an input cost. At that point, I realized I'd rather play the game how I want to play it and save up for crafting a legendary. It's how I crafted my two legendaries and I got to enjoy the game doing it.

From a cost perspective none of them are worth it.

From an experience perspective, well that is personal but for me that is also a no because the vast majority of it is just tacked on to pre-existing thing. Often things I've done many times before. If you are new to the game and haven't experience much of it yet then the result might be different.

• Like 1

I did the precursor collection for The Hunter because the skin of one of the intermediate forms (Perfected Rifle, which also looks like Tybalt's rifle) can only be acquired in this way. Simply buying the precursor wouldn't work because their skins got changed and updated.

It being more expensive than simply buying the precursor brooks no argument. The collections themselves vary depending on the weapon. For The Hunter it sends you all over Tyria "assassinating" various event champions and world bosses, and then a job requiring a surprising amount of mithril. I keep hearing good things about the Chuka and Champawat collection so some precursor collections might be more interesting to do than others.

Thanks for all the takes on it, I appreciate it. I think I'll just keep on farming for the gold. Sounds like it's not really worth the time, unless you want something specific out of it more than the precursor itself. Special case skin like Therys mentioned, or you just want the experience of completing the collections.

On 3/16/2022 at 10:52 AM, Nash.2681 said:

Personally I wouldn't bother. The collections are one thing and some might considering them fun or at least a nice side project when there's nothing else to do, but the crafting involved usually is just way more expensive than just buying the precursor of the TP.

usually not. Efficiency has both costs listed and usually crafting is cheaper 

1 hour ago, Sarius.9285 said:

usually not. Efficiency has both costs listed and usually crafting is cheaper 

According to GW2 efficiency right now the only precursors you can make a profit by crafting and then selling are Carcharias, Chaos Gun and Rage. All the rest are more expensive to craft, often by 100g or more: https://gw2efficiency.com/crafting/legendaries

Of course it varies all the time depending on the price of materials and the number of precursors being sold.

Legendaries are generally profitable to sell, but I'm not sure if GW2 Efficiency includes the price of crafting the precursor in the summary calculations or if it's assuming you'll buy one (because anyone looking to sell a legendary is probably looking to maximise profit).

Edited by Danikat.8537

On 3/16/2022 at 8:29 AM, Labjax.2465 said:

I realize this is a subjective question, but I'm curious how people feel about this. I'm working on a legendary and thought I might try it at first, but it seems to be a pretty involved process to finally get the specific precursor and I'd probably find it easier to farm the gold. It also seems to involve doing a number of fractals for the collection and I'm not sure I want to take on that kind of content and navigate the whole group expectations right now.

My personal opionion on this topic. Don't do it. When you can craft or buy the legy without a collection, do it.

On my old account i did several collections for the gen 2 and gen 1 Legys and it was draining, for me personally. And I'm not talking about content that might be more stressful for casuals, like you say, fractals or something.But I had so many bugs to deal with.  Had to wait so many times and was even dependent on other players for some parts because some collections require events to FAIL, so that another follow-event can come up ...
A few achievments was givin from the Support to me, because 1 Orr-temple just was bugged for weeks, and an other events with grawls, just didn't pop up.

If you want to do collections, do ALL the legys you want. Because you will find achievements that will appear again and again. E.g. the Orr temples.
Otherwise, I would really advise against it. On this account right now I avoid legy's and rather save up for more expensive skins like the chaos staff since gw2 has so~ many skins to offer and I struggled not to use the legys on my old account after investing so much time and gold into them.

47 minutes ago, Fuchslein.8639 said:

My personal opionion on this topic. Don't do it. When you can craft or buy the legy without a collection, do it.

On my old account i did several collections for the gen 2 and gen 1 Legys and it was draining, for me personally. And I'm not talking about content that might be more stressful for casuals, like you say, fractals or something.But I had so many bugs to deal with.  Had to wait so many times and was even dependent on other players for some parts because some collections require events to FAIL, so that another follow-event can come up ...
A few achievments was givin from the Support to me, because 1 Orr-temple just was bugged for weeks, and an other events with grawls, just didn't pop up.

If you want to do collections, do ALL the legys you want. Because you will find achievements that will appear again and again. E.g. the Orr temples.
Otherwise, I would really advise against it. On this account right now I avoid legy's and rather save up for more expensive skins like the chaos staff since gw2 has so~ many skins to offer and I struggled not to use the legys on my old account after investing so much time and gold into them.

Good lookin out, thanks, this is exactly the kind of thing I'm afraid of, is getting burned out on it. I like variety and I often find collections in general in this game are too strictly specific and detail oriented, and it just becomes tiring for me quickly. As it is, I don't love the gold farming approach either, but at least with it I can do any number of different content to make progress. I can even play stuff I haven't done yet, tho doing it that way does slow the rate of gain significantly. But still, it's progress as long as I save and sell stuff. Whereas collections generally only progress if you do exactly the specific thing it demands. I don't like that.

If you don't like to do them then no, Gen1 and 3 can be bought now, for Gen1 I know that you can buy both precursor and legendaries, for Gen3 im only sure about the legendaries, not the precursors. Gen2 have a few with collections that are interesting, like Astralaria and Chuka&Champawat, the latter of which I did. They abandoned that idea after a bit and the rest is just, get recipes, craft.

You avoid burnout by not rushing it. Use guides to help clear up/speed up the process. I found the most daunting part not to be the scavenger hunt style collection, but the intermediate crafting steps requiring tons of materials. Remember they are legendary items, and not meant to be gained quickly. Its not abnormal to take months to do it. The first one tends to take the longest, you'll find after that it becomes easier to find efficient ways to go about it. But you'll probably be ''cured'' for a while after getting your first one. 

The payoff is an item that has the best stats, and always will have, is free to transmute, on which you can freely change runes/sigils, and can be stat-swapped. And the fact that you'll never have to buy that item-type again for any character on your account since they added the Armory. 

If that seems worth it to you, I'd say go for it. If you're fine without these quality of life things, then don't.

As for group things, making your own group, if you are up for that, can considerably ease pressures you might feel about meeting standards/conforming to meta-builds and the like. Listing as chill, mellow or first time will often get you players that don't mind taking it slow, explaining things and being patient with it. As far as I know, I don't think you need to do the higher tiers of fractals, so you can get by with just T1. You don't need agony resistance for that, with a healer present, not even after level 20. 
 For dungeons you do the same with regards to the group finder description; List as chill/mellow/first time, Leg collection and/or no skip. There are many people who'd join in a hearbeat with descriptions like this. Do keep in mind join rates depend on traffic hours. Weekends/evenings are a good bet for filling up fast.