Guild Wars 2 and Aion on par in 2021: GW2 ~59 770 000$ vs Aion ~60 790 000$

I am really interested to see how much the xpac release impacts the income on Q1 2022. Aion got a classic server release and is doing a bit better than gw2 with xpac this year.

NcSoft report: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/583699141125996571/953108816151592960/unknown.png

I know google trends isn't a way to measure player base or anything so before you shift this conversation to discuss how accurate google trends is, it's not the point of this topic. The pic is there cause we don't have any metrics we could use other than this and it still shows something that can be considered somewhat accurate in a way or another.

Google Trends: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/546093890214821888/953608276715651102/unknown.png

Maybe it's the marketing lacking heavily and the hype on gw2 new xpac is kinda non existing based on the google trends page and also comparing it with other games (everyone can play around for fun in google trends page but I am not including those cause it's not really the point of this topic) which is sad but the game is still definitely earning money. Personally I think the content releases take way too much time and focus on graphics (and gemstore skins) instead of more content and these periods of no content is slowly decreasing the players who play now that new games are starting to release after covid delays. Then there's all the issues with slow balance and fixes and no communication etc. 

Idk, I just feel like anet could do way more for the game.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah and there is also the march sale that is going on. And all the new stuff put into the black lion tc. It honestly feels like the expansion is there to further the sales on the black lion tc rather than the sales are there for people checking out the new expansion. I'm just rambling here. But all in all the game has 0 presence on twitch or youtube and even tho they say that they've "fixed" the empty maps in cantha they still seem pretty empty to me. I just hope ncsoft doesnt city of heroes this game.

Edited by Mortime.1359
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sarius.9285 said:

they won't. The game is still going strong and on a rise since 2019. 

I mean he'll, they even keep B&S around which is pretty much completely dead

Funny thing is that blade and soul did better than gw2 in 2019 and 2020.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

You people seem to forget that these NCS-Titles are infested with insane P2W on a fundamental game design level while Arena Net is very customer-friendly - people freaked out about mount skins here while people in these games wouldn't even bat an eye about such stuff.

1 hour ago, Raizel.8175 said:

You people seem to forget that these NCS-Titles are infested with insane P2W on a fundamental game design level while Arena Net is very customer-friendly - people freaked out about mount skins here while people in these games wouldn't even bat an eye about such stuff.

I am more concerned over the player base cause I can't really believe that Aion would have the population of gw2 but it's still doing the same now financially but the next quarter will show us the impact of xpac release.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Ace.9105 said:

I am more concerned over the player base cause I can't really believe that Aion would have the population of gw2 but it's still doing the same now financially but the next quarter will show us the impact of xpac release.

Well, Aion is dead in the west. People have to understand though that the mentality in KR is totally different. P2W isn't looked down upon there and braindead grinding is also popular - just look at games like BDO.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Raizel.8175 said:

Well, Aion is dead in the west. People have to understand though that the mentality in KR is totally different. P2W isn't looked down upon there and braindead grinding is also popular - just look at games like BDO.

This.

Eastern market is fundamentally different than the western counterpart. I have worked on titles that died trying to win the eastern audiences. Demand is unbelievably different, so is expectation. Thus, one thing that works for one market would probably not work for the other. So it's not quite fair to compare one with the other. Yet, even so this game does considerably better on that comparison.

I'd compare GW2 with cosmetics-heavy F2P games like PoE and Warframe.

Edited by JulesPetrikov.7920
Spacing after paragraphs looked annoying.
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

After thinking about it it's probably really hard for anet to monetize GW2. A good lot of veteran players already have most of the things from the cash shop and have probably accumulated enough wealth that they can just buy gems with gold if something new comes up that they want. And then on the other hand a good amount of new players probably quit at around level 15 because the core game hasn't really aged all that well and they just get lost and overwhelmed. So all in all the amount of players that anet can use for income is probably quite limited.

• Sad 1