Another Dumb Soloer! Skyscale Mount

clay.7394

Good day. Yes, I know, playing MMOs solo. I've been doing it for 18 years. No rants please. I could use some help please.

1.  I have the Skyscale guide posted on thegammer dated 1/25.  https://www.thegamer.com/guild-wars-2-skyscale-guide-walkthrough-achievements/  The guide itself has some tips to avoid bosses. Most of it seems to be running around doing tasks solo. What I don't know is which steps require a group and of what size. Or can you just "hang around" and join others doing the same task/event?

2. I also have to be careful of required collections or materials that can only be harvested in group events (unless it's an "open" event), dungeons or bosses that cannot be soloed.

3. I realize it will take time to go through the guide and reference the specific section/number/subnumber etc. that require grouping

Maybe this just isn't doable solo. I also realize a Skyscale will take a lot of time. That I have. Groups and high difficulty (I'm too slow or not agile enough) are out of my reach. What can I say, I'm old and still trying, even if I'm hobbled and decrepit. I appreciate your help and advice. Thanks.

I don't think you need to be in a group for any part of it. There are steps which require completing events, including ones labelled as group events and world bosses, but that just means you won't be able to do it literally solo with no other players around, you're not required to be in a party or squad, you can play solo but with other people there at the same time.

There are no dungeons, fractals, raids or strikes or other areas where you must be in a group to complete content.

The hardest steps are all in the Skyscale Lost collection and any or all of those can be skipped by using Extra Pungent Skyscale Treats which can be crafted or bought on the TP. Personally I recommend trying out each step before using the treat, because some might be easier than they seem and the treats are expensive, but the option is there if you want it.

• Like 1

Shadow Behemoth and Golem Mark II are regularly done, and just take showing up early enough to make sure you don't end up in an overflow server with nobody in it.

Augury Rock is still done, but my experience is that sometimes you'll find a group gathering for it, sometimes not. When I did it for Skyscale there were just a few peopel gathered, but I called out in Map chat a couple times that it was about to start and people came.

The Branded Ley Line Anomaly, for me, was one of the harder ones to get done. It's off in a corner where players don't otherwise go in a map that doesn't have a lot of players naturally, and it's definitely challenging to solo. It's doable for two to three, what I would consider, average skill players with decent gear.

You get one of the treats Danikat mentioned free, so hold on to it until you find something you just can't get past. I kept saving mine and at some point I finished the collection without using it. Branded Ley Line Anomaly was the one I came closest to using it.

They're about 7g on the TP, so if you wanted to skip all the group stuff it'd be 30g. Assuming you don't need them for the jumping puzzles.

Edited by Gibson.4036

Call out in map chat for the JP's if you need help with them.  There maybe someone on the map that can help or that has a mesmer that can port you.  And, if there isn't, I recommend investing in the Portable Position Rewinder from one of the hearts in Sandswept Isles.

Just remember that you will need a full stack of map currency for each of the 6 Living World Season 4 maps, so make sure you have that before you consume any of them for Volatile Magic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clay.7394 said:

1.  I have the Skyscale guide posted on thegammer dated 1/25.  https://www.thegamer.com/guild-wars-2-skyscale-guide-walkthrough-achievements/  The guide itself has some tips to avoid bosses. Most of it seems to be running around doing tasks solo. What I don't know is which steps require a group and of what size. Or can you just "hang around" and join others doing the same task/event?

There's several really good solo builds for open world for a number of classes. I suggest you find one for your own, and you won't be needing a group for any of them. 

Besides, you can craft stuff to skip finding your skyscale.

The only one i recommend you skip is "Rescue your Skyscale from the Branded Ley-Line Anomaly in the Domain of Vabbi."

Not many people do this event cause it rewards you with nothing pretty much, and the Ley-Line Anomaly is so ridiculously disbalanced that it's literally hard to die to it, but it's tanky as F, and you'll be soloing it for hours.

I had my Trailblazer mirage do it, and i was soloing for 20 minutes with a tag until finally someone showed up to help me. And i only got it down 40%, it's really ridiculous... 
Maybe because the event was started by another player who then logged out, but i doubt the event upscales for 2 people...

Anyway... It was annoying to do, if you can skip anything, skip this. It's not worth it.

Other than that, pop your tag up, be it mentor or commander, and just ask for help, people in this game love to help, you won't be waiting long. But if you want to solo it as a challange or something, like, you're refusing help, then you need a solo build for your class.

2. I also have to be careful of required collections or materials that can only be harvested in group events (unless it's an "open" event), dungeons or bosses that cannot be soloed.

What are you asking though? You're doing solo as a challange and want to see how/what to avoid or what? Cause you can get a group for any content really easily. 

3. I realize it will take time to go through the guide and reference the specific section/number/subnumber etc. that require grouping

Maybe this just isn't doable solo. I also realize a Skyscale will take a lot of time. That I have. Groups and high difficulty (I'm too slow or not agile enough) are out of my reach. What can I say, I'm old and still trying, even if I'm hobbled and decrepit. I appreciate your help and advice. Thanks.

Well, don't some things in the collection require you to do meta events? Those aren't soloable...

I don't see why your agility has anything to do with groups. If anything, that's where you'd have most support, from other people also doing the same content. You're not in the way, they're there cause they also need that or want to be there. Just do the content with them.

But again, if you want to be useful to groups, and are afraid you'll be in someone's way (don't), find a build that has something like Minstrel's or Celestial or whatever, you'll be tanky enough to not die to most mechanics, while supporting the group, and you'll all get the reward.

What class are you playing anyway? Maybe people can give you more advice if they know your specific class.

Edited by Veprovina.4876

Veprovina, I would be running Trailblazer on a Renegade. I understand that a group of players can work together to accomplish a task without being in a dedicated group where the task might be "instanced."  I just want to avoid wiping a group because of my limitations. Yes, larger groups of better players shield my more limited play style. I've appreciated that very much. People have been very helpful in GW2.

I've been working through a number of the Metabattle builds and getting better at the mechanics. I'm running a Firebrand Guardian that hit 80 today. 

Thanks for the reply and some additional details on what to avoid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clay.7394 said:

Veprovina, I would be running Trailblazer on a Renegade. I understand that a group of players can work together to accomplish a task without being in a dedicated group where the task might be "instanced."  I just want to avoid wiping a group because of my limitations. Yes, larger groups of better players shield my more limited play style. I've appreciated that very much. People have been very helpful in GW2.

I've been working through a number of the Metabattle builds and getting better at the mechanics. I'm running a Firebrand Guardian that hit 80 today. 

Thanks for the reply and some additional details on what to avoid.

I sincerely doubt you yourself can accomplish wiping a group. 🤣

Especially in open world. If a group wipes, it's not one person's fault, and Skyscale doesn't require any instanced content that requires insane amounts of teamwork like say Raids do. 

You're selling yourself short and taking on burdens that are not yours to bare. 

First of all, i meant what i said. I would be extremely impressed if you are the single cause of someone, or entire groups, wiping at an event. That would be impressive! 😄 Even legendary bounties. Those are populated enough always that, even if you go down, you'll get insta rezzed, and if you do die, there's usually a waypoint somewhere near. Neither of those two things are cause for you to beat yourself over. I died tons of times in the most stupid fashion, that's part of the gameplay, and that's why Anet made everyone have a healing skill and be able to resurrect each other.  

Second of all, i doubt your limitations are or ever will be the cause of someone else wiping or dying in an event. Everyone is responsible for themselves, even if they have a dedicated healer because - everyone has a dodge. You don't get to dodge for someone else, and if they obliviously stand in red circle after red circle, well, yeah, they're gonna go down, that's not your fault, you have yourself to worry about. I of course, won't assume what you meant by limitations, and you don't need to explain. I just know that whatever you think you're doing to others, you're not. 🙂

Now, as far as Trailblazer's is concerned, that's a great tanking condi damage stat. You'll have no trouble surviving with it on your own or in groups. 

Another possible build for you to take, if you're worried you're not contributing to groups, is Heal Renegade:

Renegade - Boon Support Healer - MetaBattle Guild Wars 2 Builds

I tried it, it uses 2 buttons, one for healing, and another for giving alacrity. Spam those, and you're permanently healing and giving alacrtiy to everyone, while using staff and swords to deal some damage in the meantime. 

Or, if you're up for creating new characters, one of the simpler open world builds is Staff/Staff mirage. Trailblazer Staff/Staff mirage or Celestial gives you tons of survivability, and mirage can also kind of give alacrity as well. Not as good as Renegade, and it can't heal, but you'll be dodging so much that i don't doubt you can survive most encounters.

There's other great solo builds to try too, but Trailblazer Renegade is one of the strongest solo builds out there so you can't go wrong with that one.

And, lastly, don't beat yourself up too much about groups you run into, you're not the source of their problem if people are dying. You literally can't be, It's their own fault. 😉

EDIT: I just did /deaths in game. I died 3,369 times. 🤣

Edited by Veprovina.4876
  • Like 1

I just want to second what @Veprovina.4876 said. No one person can cause a group of players (organised or otherwise) to fail an event in an open-world map (or even most instanced content).

That's not to say an individual's participation is insignificant, there are certainly ways players can help each other and having other people around makes events easier, but even with the best analytics in the world (which we don't have - no one can see another players stats) I doubt anyone could look at a failed world boss fight and pick out a specific person who caused it to fail because it doesn't work like that.

An event can fail if a significant number of people don't do what's required - like a collection event where most people focus on killing enemies and don't hand items in to the NPC. But it would take a lot of them, if one person does that it just means they'll get lower participation. If there's only 2 people present and one doesn't hand in items then either the event will scale down so one person can hand in enough alone or it doesn't scale that far down and it would likely be impossible even for 2 people.

Also you're probably not nearly as bad as you think you are. You're thinking about your build and equipment, you're aware of your limitations and thinking about how to accommodate them, you're finding out what you need to do and how to do it to achieve your goal. That's the vast majority of what's required to succeed in GW2.

• Like 1