Turtle mount requires strike mission?

58 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

No one is forced to do anything. You want the turtle? Do what is required. It’s not much and you don’t have to do difficult stuff. 

Again since you ignored it, if Anet said everyone has to contribute to a bunch of objectives in WvW for a non legendary that might or might not be successful these forums would have to be shut down. 
You want the Turtle? You want the new gear stats? You're going to have to earn a certain amount of Pips and take five enemy keeps. Oh but there's no time limit so you can bang your head against the wall and listen to that guy say a bunch of stuff you don't care about for another hour.

Edited by kash.9213
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Sleepwalker.1398 said:

I don't know. When "Warclaw" mount was released (specific to WvW), i had never seen queues that big ever for WvW.

I was there when Warclaw was released. You're wrong about that. Bad look making stuff up to make a point. Warclaw is also just a skin over a wingless griffon.

Edited by kash.9213
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

Just now, yoni.7015 said:

I was there as well and he’s right. WvW was pretty full. 

Read his post again. If they had never seen queues that big then that was the first time they had been in WvW. There's queues for a lot of reasons in WvW. Warclaw wasn't all that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, kash.9213 said:

Even just 20 minutes of listening to someone like this talk down to people as long as they have them hostage for an instance already sounds like a loss. People still have to get through more Strikes for the new stat trinkets. Almost everything else about the expansion is awesome but forcing people into Strikes is as dumb as forcing people into raids. These aren't Legendaries and if people had to play WvW for the turtle mount even though it's an open world feature, there would be riots. 

The only response I can give to this is that noone is forcing you to do Strikes. Anet didn't lock your account saying you only get it back if you do Kaineng Overlook. You don't have to do Strikes, but if you don't do them don't expect the rewards either.
I don't play ranked PvP, but I don't expect the Ardent Glorious skins to just fall in my lap.

You saw in my response when I'm doing Strikes with my Guild, since they are good warmup for our Guild Raids, you saw me writing that we will bring anyone to any Strike, regardless if they want to learn it or they just want to clear it once for the achievements. 

Anet already made it easier by throwing out the meta requirement, half the squads doing the first three EoD Strikes don't even require you to speak, just go in and wack an enemy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5

4 hours ago, yoni.7015 said:

But strikes are also a core component of the expansion.

I've reached Dragon's End, and not one single time were strike missions even referred to  in the slightest throughout the story, even in the way that they were introduced during the Icebrood Saga (which I quite like, as I happen to like Strike Missions). But don't go telling people they're a core component. Because they really aren't.

EDIT: For context, this is like saying that sPvP is a core part of the expansion. There's actually no difference in saying this. 
Strike Missions should have been introduced organically, but they weren't.  

Edited by Obliviscaris.6937
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

12 minutes ago, Obliviscaris.6937 said:

I've reached Dragon's End, and not one single time were strike missions even referred to  in the slightest throughout the story, even in the way that they were introduced during the Icebrood Saga (which I quite like, as I happen to like Strike Missions). But don't go telling people they're a core component. Because they really aren't.

For being core component Siege Turtles weren't really mentioned in the story either. Up until Dragon's End you only saw actual Siege Turtles in the Aspenwood meta and Adolescent ones in the Gang War meta during one event.

It's possible using the story to determine what's core and isn't is not a good measure. Especially since Strike missions are the story instances with a few changes.

Edited by IAmNotMatthew.1058
typo
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

For being core component Siege Turtles weren't really mentioned in the story either.

Siege turtles were used in every piece of marketing. The fact that they made their acquisition not an organic part of the story progression is a crap move and we all know it. Wake up. It's bad business practice, because it erodes trust. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

You said story, not marketing. Strikes were also present in marketing, Strike CMs were present in marketing.

Link me a single Facebook post, Instagram post, or web banner that reference strike missions as a key selling point of the expansion. Please, enlighten me. I'm ready to be wrong here.

9 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

For being core component Siege Turtles weren't really mentioned in the story either. Up until Dragon's End you only saw actual Siege Turtles in the Aspenwood meta and Adolescent ones in the Gang War meta during one event.

What's your point? That how the game was advertised and how the advertised content is acquired is entirely dishonest? Because we'd agree in this case..

It must be past 5pm wherever this person is.
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

9 minutes ago, Obliviscaris.6937 said:

Link me a single Facebook post, Instagram post, or web banner that featured strike missions as a key selling point of the expansion. Please, enlighten me. 

Is my English grammar that bad that "Strikes were also present in marketing, Strike CMs were present in marketing." reads as "Strikes were key selling point" or you're just typing random stuff that I haven't said?
Here's a link where Strikes are first mentioned in EoD, this is actually about a month before the Siege Turtle was mentioned

You claimed that the Strikes are not a core feature of EoD, because they were not mentioned in the story. Based on your logic we can also say that Siege Turtles weren't a core feature, since they aren't mentioned in the story either.
What was your response? Swapping over to 

13 minutes ago, Obliviscaris.6937 said:

Siege turtles were used in every piece of marketing. 

even though you talked about the presence of these features in the story of EoD.

Noone said the Strikes were a key selling point, but they were announced earlier than the Siege Turtle.

Edit:
Since it seems like you have to constantly edit your responses to add a few sentences here and there let me respond with an Edit myself.

What's your point? That how the game was advertised and how the advertised content is acquired is entirely dishonest? Because we'd agree in this case..

My point is that you try to determine what's core feature based on story appearance, but, as mentioned above using that logic Strikes are not core feature, but neither is the Siege Turtle.

Edited by IAmNotMatthew.1058
  • Like 5
  • Confused 2

18 minutes ago, IAmNotMatthew.1058 said:

Noone said the Strikes were a key selling point,

You're getting yourself lost with semantics.

Core features are selling points.

Someone said they were a core part of the game. Which they are by all not.

And no, an article hosted on their own website with three shares, marketing were not involved  in this, or else they wouldn't have jobs right about now.

However a huge Amazon banner with the siege turtle, or this Carl's Jr. merchandise  collaboration, are marketing. Which feature what? The Siege turtle.

At no point have strike missions been promoted as such, they're not a core feature, and calling them such is disingenuous, and should not be a requirement for the Siege turtle, a flagship selling point for the expansion. 

EDIT for clarity as a whole: I'm just so frustrated at ArenaNet right now, they've dropped off SO far from their design ethos. And It's equally frustrating that people who don't know what they're talking about and a can't see the bigger picture try and defend this massive case cognitive dissonance they seem to have having. Because they can be better! They can easily be better! They were better! 

It's not even about the siege turtle at this point, it's the fact that they've seemingly un-learned all of the brilliant lessons they've learned over the years.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Obliviscaris.6937 said:

You're getting yourself lost with semantics.

Core features are selling points.

Someone said they were a core part of the game. Which they are by all not.

And no, an article hosted on their own website with three shares, marketing were not involved  in this, or else they wouldn't have jobs right about now.

However a huge Amazon banner with the siege turtle, or this Carl's Jr. merchandise  collaboration, are marketing. Which feature what? The Siege turtle.

Is Amazon or Carl's Jr in the story of the game? You seem to distance yourself from your initial claim where according to you Strikes not being mentioned in the story means they are not core feature. The claim I responded to.

7 minutes ago, Obliviscaris.6937 said:

At no point have strike missions been promoted as such, they're not a core feature, and calling them such is disingenuous, and should not be a requirement for the Siege turtle, a flagship selling point for the expansion. 

Noone said Strikes have been promoted more.

• Like 3

I joined a group where only one of us had tried it before and we got it on our third try. I got lucky that it was a fun group of casuals like me that just wanted to get it done. I'll admit that I had some fun but nonetheless, don't plan on ever doing again—unless my guild is putting together a group and ask for help.

I could go on at length about why I don't like this type of content but I'll leave it at personal preference.

I've played quite a few MMOs since the late 90's—I'm old. One of my primary criteria for choosing a game is that it not be focused on raiding or other grouped/instanced content. Judge away but it's just my personal preference.

I was here at launch and didn't like when they added fractals, and then raids, and then strike missions, and then champion missions, and now more strike missions with important content unlocks. I chose this game 10 years ago specifically because it was not about instanced group content. I am not a fan of the direction the game is going with more and more instanced group content.

Edited by raykor.6723
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Oh my gosh.

After i have gotten the turtle I made a post here suggesting that the strike mission in the collection to be removed or replaced. That was because getting the egg then was very punishing and tedious. BUT now you can skip that Jade Battle Meta and buy the turtle egg from the vendor and even buy it with karma!

And you expect even more handouts? It never ends. Well, complain more and perhaps ANet will give another vendor that sells Turtle Strike Mission Completion.

Edited by Mil.3562
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, raykor.6723 said:

Does anyone know if ANET has made any comment regarding changing this (like they did with the egg)?

I realize some people like learning all the mechanics of raid fights but that sort of content just doesn't interest me. I watched a few video guides of the Minister Li strike mission and clearly they decided to make strike missions far longer and more complicated. The initial strike missions from Champions were pretty quick and had just a handful of mechanics each. The Minister Li strike mission has half a dozen different bosses with dozens of unique attacks and mechanics. No desire to learn it all as I don't plan on running it regularly.

It's only 1 strike mission. If you played through the Icebrood Saga, then you'll know they aren't half bad. You just need a squad of people who roughly know what they're doing and don't stand in hit boxes lol.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

You need to do a strike mission to get the turtle? Well that's frustrating. It was one of the reasons I bought the expansion.

I have a really, really bad internet connection so no amount of "get good" is actually going to help me not be a huge liability to any squad I join. I'll just be a burden slowing down folks who actually want to do the strike mission.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Pugging the strike was possibly the least enjoyable thing I've done in gw2. Group was random pugs. Half the people there were clearly there for the turtle and had no interest in this kind of thing at all. We ended up slowly 3 manning the last 1.5 phases while half the squad watched from the grave.

It reminds me of doing dungeons when the game came out and you had people who "got it" and were in all zerker gear and knew how to do the skips and dodges and then people who just had no idea and made it harder for everyone else. Sad to see Anet hasn't learned anything in the past decade. Instanced pve in this game is absolutely MISERABLE to play when the team isn't fully "in the know." so the people who are knowledgeable shut themselves away-- can you blame them?

Personally the value I find in GW2 is the open world collecting/farming and while I am capable of meeting the demands of instanced pve, I would rather play ff14 or wow for that.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Blix.8021 said:

Pugging the strike was possibly the least enjoyable thing I've done in gw2. Group was random pugs. Half the people there were clearly there for the turtle and had no interest in this kind of thing at all. We ended up slowly 3 manning the last 1.5 phases while half the squad watched from the grave.

We might have been in the same group, actually - I was among those on the floor. I had no issues completing the story version of this thing, but woof was it a lot less enjoyable in strike mode. Put in my best effort and reflexes and still wound up dead next to people who were performing far better than me. Absolute torture watching the radiant 3 knock out the last of the boss's health seeing as I couldn't help them. Very grateful to the ones who wound up carrying, but I have absolutely no desire to try this one (or anything like this one) again.

I keep seeing remarks about how the strike is 'not that bad' or 'very easy'. For me and for most of the people I know? It is not.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I love the strike mission. I understand why Anet makes these things mandatory. They want to get players interested and involved in new things so the game always stays fresh. With that being said, with this mission, all It takes is 1-2 players to mess everything up for everyone else.  I primarily play solo due to this. I hate my progress being dependant on the competency of other players. I have, on numerous occasions, seen players just running around auto attacking and running in circles. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I'm mostly a solo/meta event player, or duo with my wife.. but yet I got the turtle a few days ago. I joined up with a few runs offered by Vexona, and while two of my runs ended at 1%, the third one (pre-nerf) nailed it. Managed to get everything else on my own, got the Jade Maw just on a random DE meta map. For the strike, I joined a pug, and while 3 of us had never done this (and I've never even done a strike, or a fractal), we finished it with about half the party dead on the final fight. Its mostly just mechanics and time, really. I came back after only playing casually in each expansion and quitting, so I haven't done any strikes, raids, fractals, and it had been a few years since I've even played. If you put a slight bit of effort into it, and take some of the players who offer help that are out there, you can get it. I just suggest to do it now while the iron is hot, as 6mo-1yr from now it may be harder to go get your turtle, than right now when everyone wants it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ă—
Ă—