Is there anyone here who genuinely LOVES Necro and has a blast playing it?

Besides me?
I'm currently on Harbinger and really enjoying it so far.
I'm using Ritualist's stats on all gear except aquatic.
Mad King rune set
Sigils of Malice and Bursting
Staff, pistol & dagger
Harbinger: Septic Corruption, Twisted Medicine, Doom Approaches
Curses: Plague sending, Path of Corruption, Lingering Curse
Blood Magic: Blood Bond, Vampiric Presence, Blood Bank
Slot skills:  Elixer of Promise, Signet of the Locust, Spectral Grasp, Elixer of Bliss, Elixer of Ambition
Vital Draw will never get old, and a critical hit with Voracious Arc is an equally cackle-worthy sight.  "Haaaaa!, WHOMP! (cue smothering pile of cawing ravens and ensuing bloodbath)

• Like 7

Reaper is the most solid trait line/elite spec ANet has ever done, by a mile.

It's fun, performs well, feels good to play, has a fair share of counters, and succeeds in its aesthetic niche.

Could the condi build be improved?  Yes.  But overall the design and implementation is near-perfect.

• Like 7

Well yes, obviously! That's why those of us that main it play it so much.

I've nearly 7k hours in Necro (6.4k in my main, but I used to have multiple Necros), and it's still the class I play daily, and at this point almost exclusively.

I've also been playing Power core Necro for... Maybe 4 years? It is my singular favorite build across all classes in the game. It isn't very versatile, it's a bad 1 v 1er, and it's a mediocre team fighter, but it's so fun and satisfying to me. In WvW team fights it's sort of like a ranged Reaper. I look for pressured or squishy players and spike them from a distance, with Life Blast doing 6 - 8k per hit, among other hard hitting skills I have.

It's so uncommon to see glassy core Necros that I think a lot of times people are just caught off guard when they fight me. Most of them will try to give me space when I enter Shroud, but that's the opposite of how you want to treat my build, and it just lets me 2 - 3 shot people. 

• Like 1

I loved support Scourge, one of the only games I've ever actually enjoyed playing a support. After the nerfs though, I was a little bit saddended at what they did to my boi in PvP. 

but

and now Harbinger is out, and Condition Harbinger is Bae. I love it so much! 

• Like 2

My relationship with necro is in line with the spec - it's toxic and slowly kills me, but after 7 years long quest to get her proper pair of pants, and 2 years of Tequatl farm just for weapon skins, I can't let go.

Jokes aside, I do enjoy reaper and scourge. I just wish HB wasn't as much of a re-thread for the class, and for us to bring some actual group utility for a change.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sarrs.4831 said:

I'm quite enjoying playing Harbinger in open world metas! It's nice to feel more helpful than I do on Condi Reaper, though I'm missing the breakbars and pulls of Reaper. Still, I'm enjoying myself with the build.

Dude, one thing HB does well is destroying breakbars. Shroud 5 absolutely shreds, and you have daze on one of the leaps and the pistol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wintermute.5408 said:

Dude, one thing HB does well is destroying breakbars. Shroud 5 absolutely shreds, and you have daze on one of the leaps and the pistol.

It's more of a case of "Reaper seems to do breakbars better" than "Harbinger is bad at breakbars". I feel like I'm more than pulling my weight in group content with Harbinger's CC and am still having tons of fun with the class.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Shroud.2307 said:

I've nearly 7k hours in Necro (6.4k in my main, but I used to have multiple Necros), and it's still the class I play daily, and at this point almost exclusively.

I've also been playing Power core Necro for... Maybe 4 years? It is my singular favorite build across all classes in the game. It isn't very versatile, it's a bad 1 v 1er, and it's a mediocre team fighter, but it's so fun and satisfying to me. In WvW team fights it's sort of like a ranged Reaper. I look for pressured or squishy players and spike them from a distance, with Life Blast doing 6 - 8k per hit, among other hard hitting skills I have.

It's so uncommon to see glassy core Necros that I think a lot of times people are just caught off guard when they fight me. Most of them will try to give me space when I enter Shroud, but that's the opposite of how you want to treat my build, and it just lets me 2 - 3 shot people. 

I love Core Necro. I've actually been able to win 1v2 with it. It's quite versatile.

Harbringer is my new Reaper. I have no idea what i do on gear, but once i pop Shroud i get 100% crit while juggling tacticly in and out to keep a sustained bit of healing going. The pistol i feel is a bit more 'fast pace' ranged, unlike staff or axe. I done several meta's, few strikes, thats my ceiling on what i mostly do in the game (i dont do raids or such), and i love him to bits.

I dont bring much on the table on buffs or such, but i can put out a very constant stream of damage, often have a 2nd chance before going down, can even revive a down person on the spot. Compared to my other characters, i feel far stronger, far more durable (ok my warrior and rev can hold their own pretty well too), so yeah.. i genuinely still love my necro. I started EoD with engineer, finished the story, did some warrior (i love the 80k hits), gave up ranger pretty much instant, and ever since its full on necro 😄

On 3/16/2022 at 8:28 PM, Shroud.2307 said:

Not so much obvs.  I made this thread because I was getting kind of annoyed with all of he negative and/or overly technical (I'm not a game designer, nor do I play one on TV) posts about the specs and kittening about skills.  I was hoping to stir up some fun chatter about what we love about the class. 
Me?  I love a class that lets me play in a style that is fun for me, whatever style that happens to be at any given moment. 

Usually that involves face-tanking, but Harbinger isn't really built for that.  It's more like blood-sac from GW1, which is kind of a rush, ngl.

Edited by Kitty La Boom Boom.4065
  • Like 1

Ofc necro has mains because he's a blast to build and play.

He is extremely fun to build and easy to play. Making him simple to use, but very deep and engaging to build. Due to his excellent traitline design the buildcraft for necro is the best of all professions. Whatever you want to do, almost every time all his traitlines have something to offer.

Building condition build that obviously will use Curses? Guess what - power centric Spite line is still a great pick. As is Blood Magic. Or Death Magic. Or Soul reaping... yeah. exactly. They all are useful.
Same for power builds, and same for tank builds.

One moment of thinking how sustain on mesmer looks like (go Inspiration or go home) quickly reminds me why i love my necro..

Edited by ZeftheWicked.3076

When I returned to the game last year after a 8 year break, I started and have been exclusively playing power Reaper for all story and map completion content. I always play summoner/pet classes so the minions are great. The traitline synergy is awesome. Relatively reasonable intensity to play since the utilities I use (minions/wells) are just fire and forget. Plus, necro is the only profession that I can take into HoT (and later PoF) maps and not die in 2 secs.

• Thanks 1

I've been back in the game last weeks after 8 years and I really enjoy my Harbinger Minions right now. I have to play Low Intensity build and it's perfect for me. It's not just "let the minions do everything", I do play and move and I can follow the action and not have the sensation to be totally overwhelmed like I use to be with ranger or elementalist when I tried them. I'm doing a lot of PVE solo right now (I have the stories from the 3 extensions to do from nothing 😂) and it's the more sustainable for me without dying every 5 minutes in HoT, PoF and EoD. Need to work on a WvW build now and see if I could have a build to enjoy.

• Haha 1

On 3/18/2022 at 4:29 PM, Deadric.1427 said:

Power Reaper here also and still enjoying it (PvE player only). To me its the closest I can get to what I really want to play which is Dervish. 

I was a dervish main in GW and totally get you. In fact i love playing my reaper and now have two, a power and a condi.  I don't like the other elite specs as much. 

On 3/16/2022 at 7:58 PM, DeceiverX.8361 said:

Reaper is the most solid trait line/elite spec ANet has ever done, by a mile.

It's fun, performs well, feels good to play, has a fair share of counters, and succeeds in its aesthetic niche.

Could the condi build be improved?  Yes.  But overall the design and implementation is near-perfect.

I agree with this. Reaper is the poster child of balance both power-wise and theme-wise  that every other spec should aspire to.

My wife and I currently play scourge and we really enjoy it. 

It works well with our "do once and move on" playstyle.  We started with a Soulbeast + Spellbreaker and ran the story,  got every map completion done, did (almost) every map meta once and as many of the events we could find. We also picked a few collection here and there (Skyscale and elite weapons for example). 

Then we started again with a duo of scourges.  Since it is about a year later, we don't remember much from the previous run and we still have to figure how to do something on the spot.   I must say we enjoy Scourges a lot more in that context.  The survivability and shade mechanics work nicely to let you think as you fight.

This time we are doing the story first back-to-back to get the full continuity.  We are at LS4 and hope that by the time we get to EOD there will still be enough people running the metas!