A New Beginning For The Dev Team's Priorities.

I've been beating the drum for a while that they have over-focused on story expansion over all other forms of content/feature development and, at this point, it's starting to really stack against the game.

The story is overwhelming to play through & open world PVE maps and their metas have the population too spread out.
In place of "more of the same", I could seriously drum up a list of probably fifty system enhancements, feature bundles, customization options, new forms of repeatable content, reworks/redesigns, etc. - all of which deserve to get higher priority than LW for a while.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Nightgunner.2896 said:

The people who make the story aren't the same people that make armor skins or work on the engine or do profession balancing or manage live operations.

You wouldn't hire the author of your favorite fantasy novel to paint your house, no matter how much you wanted your house to be painted.

Everyone knows it's not the same people. But, frankly, they all fall under the same enterprise resource planning and project procurement model. So, if resources need to be reassigned to accomplish this, that's exactly what should be done. Not doing it is a sign of weak leadership.

Edited by Einlanzer.1627
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Not sure where this game goes now. Unless Aurene turns bad. What are we going to fight? 

I think a nice, little DLC would be several romance possibilities for the Commander. Romance one NPC from a list of choices - player's can decide who - some mini-quests would be involved, etc. Would be fun. Release it next Valentine's day. 

This new NPC could live in the player housing - do the gardening and cooking (for ascended food). Mail the ascended food to the player. Mine any nodes at the house. These actions could all be behind masteries that would need to be unlocked.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Telgum.6071 said:

These swimsuit spammers are just one or two levels under the furry sex roleplayers.

So much edge I could fall off of it. Cut me like a knife. For your information I'm not a furry sex roleplayer, I'm a sex roleplayer who may or may not dabble in the furry arts, and I'd like a swimsuit, and some serious replies on this topic. Swimsuit first. Actually, if we get a swimsuit, I'll promise never to come back to the forums again.

Eh? Now you're with me, ain't you. 

Edited by Altonese.6542
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I say go for it! Fix the character-tilting-after-knockback-bug already! Don't make me change maps every 2 minutes! And I also vote for swimsuits and a fresh WvW!

I need about 1-2 years for full legendary anyway, so I don't worry about content. 😁

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Altonese.6542 said:

The story team worked immensely hard on End of Dragons. So, easy solution, paid vacation. Get 'em out of the office, get them to the beach in Rio, and plug away at the game's technical side.

Why would they give them a paid vacation when they can continue writing the story. That's a massive waste of resources. I all for giving people vacations and what not, but this just doesn't make any business sense.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, Einlanzer.1627 said:

Everyone knows it's not the same people. But, frankly, they all fall under the same enterprise resource planning and project procurement model. So, if resources need to be reassigned to accomplish this, that's exactly what should be done. Not doing it is a sign of weak leadership.

Are you suggesting they not continue paying certain staff because they don't want them working on anything right now?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Firstly, there are very few threads that I just want to downvote.

But OP? You manage to be one of them, not for your intent, but your delivery.

That said, Season 6 should be put on hold for a few months. Don't make the mistake PoF had with Season 4 coming out swinging right after the expansion launched. I think one of the main reasons people think PoF content was lacking and metas all suck is because they didn't have any time to properly do them before Palawadan farm came out.

I'd leave both the bimonthly updates of May and July to be QoL feature packs, with more return of Season 1 content like Visions of the Past: Fire and Steel gave us, with the strikes CMs and Gen3 variants added in both them. Maybe a fractal as well, if they've got time given how late we are now, in the July one.

Then start Season 6 in September. Give the devs time to get it done right, and follow the intended IBS layout - 2 episodes sharing a large map, 1 "non-episode lite" (be it fractal, raid, strike, or other - but make it on par to Visions of the Past release and not Sunqua Peaks Fractal release - which is to say, include some story intermission and some side story content), rinse repeat.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2022 at 6:31 AM, Nightgunner.2896 said:

The people who make the story aren't the same people that make armor skins or work on the engine or do profession balancing or manage live operations.

You wouldn't hire the author of your favorite fantasy novel to paint your house, no matter how much you wanted your house to be painted.

I guess he isnt talking about the writers but about the programmers, that are a limited source, which have to convert those stories into source code.

This topic should have been discussed a year ago. While you are under the assumption that all of arenanet has been working on eod till a few weeks ago, this is only partly true.  The writers and concept artists have been long done with eod. And the roadmap for the future has been set in stone for a while now.

As for the request. The businessmodel require them to move forward. Fixing bugs and old formats doesn't bring new cash into their pockets.

Instead I actually would challenge them to redo things. 

People always want the current thing to fix, but you can also redo them.

Create a new pvp format with large scale battles taking place on massive maps. Yes it will make current WvW absolute, but so is pvp in gw1 (although it still exist). This way, they challenge themself to create something better then WvW AND it is something new to attract new players and bring back lost veterans.

Same goes for lvl 0-80 open world maps. Keep them as it is, but make a new set. Challenge yourself as a developer to make them better and improved. Make the current ones unneeded. But keep them anyways.

I like such an approach a lot more then the approach to go back to the old. Just make the new better and do more then just another boring lvl 80 expansion. (Although I love EOD, it is more of the same).