Question for Casual EoD players.

15 hours ago, SaltyTidalwave.5876 said:

Does it feel to you like the whole expansion is a shift to force their whole playerbase into the strike/raid scene? Or is it just the one event aimed at the tryhards, with a lot of badly designed elements (rng, casual features locked behind it, way too long, etc).

I'm trying to decide if I'll buy the expansion.

If it's just the one event then I don't mind, I imagine with enough time to learn and a few adjustments it could just become a triple trouble type event, but if the whole expac, feels like a general shift to increase difficulty and force people to do strikes, I'll skip this expansion, read about the story on the wiki, and wait and see if future content continues the trend.

I'm worried because it seems like a lot of achievements and collections are also gated behind very difficult events and even strikes... I don't know if most events or story instances are the same as well.

This game has been so enjoyable, beautiful open world and map designs with amazing exploration, very interesting and fun mechanics, and a world story and characters that keep me invested! I really hope it's not the case but if Arenanet wants to get rid of "filthy casuals" who use gw2 as a fun relaxing time instead of a second job, well.. I guess I'll have to get a clue and prepare to move on. But I'm posting this because I hope other casuals will prove my fears wrong.

Not on topic, but turn on Dark mode on these forums and take a look how your posts appear. Very, very hard to read.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, misterman.1530 said:

The story was okay, for the most part. There's a lot...a LOT...of unskippable, dull, exposition heavy dialogue. Plus a lot of walking. Not running. Walking. You have to follow NPCs from point A to point B, and they walk painfully slow. 

New Kaineng City is filled with dead ends. Helps to have a Skyscale. Echovald is filled with Tangled Depths-like complexity, so getting around can be daunting. 

And the invisible walls. Wow. So many.

Tried the DE meta once. Won't bother again. 

The Siege Turtle is, at first glance, niche, and serves no real function that I've seen. 

Fishing is a mini-game that you may or may not like. I've always hated mini-games like this, myself.

The skiff. Well, unless you are using it for fishing, there's no point. The Skimmer is faster.

The jade bots - meh. I guess there's a use. I heard that the top mastery for Jade bots messes up your downed skills. Not sure. 

It doesn't "mess up" your downed skill. It replaces the bandaged skill for rezzing. Which means you can't choose whether to have jade bot rez you or rez yourself.  

If you use the jade bot rez, it'll be 10 minutes before you have the option again.

Just now, Taygus.4571 said:

It doesn't "mess up" your downed skill. It replaces the bandaged skill for rezzing. Which means you can't choose whether to have jade bot rez you or rez yourself.  

If you use the jade bot rez, it'll be 10 minutes before you have the option again.

Okay. That could be considered a "mess up". I mean, if you can't bandage yourself and the jade bot is on a timer, that's a bad thing, no?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, misterman.1530 said:

Okay. That could be considered a "mess up". I mean, if you can't bandage yourself and the jade bot is on a timer, that's a bad thing, no?

Depending on the fight... yeah, that could be a very bad thing. I wonder if you go down again within the 10 minutes do you see a timer, or get the other bandage skill back? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

Depending on the fight... yeah, that could be a very bad thing. I wonder if you go down again within the 10 minutes do you see a timer, or get the other bandage skill back? 

you get your bandage skill back.

Its more annoying that you use your jade bot rez when you might not want/need to, than anything 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tukaram.8256 said:

I thought I had heard (somewhere!) that you don't and that is the complaint/problem with the mastery forcing this option?

Ok, I heard wrong.  😆

Edited by kharmin.7683

1 minute ago, kharmin.7683 said:

I thought I had heard (somewhere!) that you don't and that is the complaint/problem with the mastery forcing this option?

You dont what? dont see the timer? You dont.

or dont get your bandage skill back? you do, immediately after using jade bot rez. Its there and it will be there until jade bot rez timer is up.

Edited by Taygus.4571
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Taygus.4571 said:

I call that a mess up. The jade bot rezz should have been an extra button/key/skill. If I am slightly downed I now have to waste a full jade bot rezz even if a downed-bandage-skill would be OK.

The jade-bot-rez should be some "oh kitten"-button, if a normal downed-bandage-rez is not enough.

Edited by Zok.4956
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zok.4956 said:

I call that a mess up. The jade bot rezz should have been an extra button/key/skill. If I am slightly downed I now have to waste a full jade bot rezz even if a downed-bandage-skill would be OK.

The jade-bot-rez should be some "oh kitten"-button, if a normal downed-bandage-rez is not enough.

I don't really consider it a "mess up". Just an annoyance. A mess up would be breaking your other down skills or something. 

But I do agree, it should be an extra button, no reason they couldn't have added one.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Deekkru.5128 said:

But really, there's so much you can enjoy, and the skill cap for EoD is incredibly achieveable just by learning how the game works and bring a class (and skills) that fit the situation.

GW2 was imho, about being able to play any profession in any situation.  This implies that players sacrifice their idea of fun or face being excluded from content.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I feel I am a new player in the category of players who have little experience in learning the harder content while it was relevant and new. I signed up for the pre launch/beta of GW2 and played on and off for years. I never logged into Living world content and missed it all. 

In 2017 or 2018 I logged in and started a new ranger and played the story all the way through. I then purchased HoT and PoT in an expansion sell in 2019-2020 or so.

When I first enter PoF, following recommendations, I got my raptor. I explored the open world and found having a Mount was fun. So I decide to enter HoT and found a whole new game to play. I had to actually use heals, dodge, stuns, and breakbar skills to live. I shortly after moved to PoF and fond more complex fights. This all taught me to be a liveable casual. I was able to make a set of ascended gear to use on the ranger before EoD launch. I did the first 3 strikes with no problem before EoD. Never touched a raid and only got to T2 fractals.

Entering EoD I am still a noob and stumbled thru a few of the fights. I decided to play my thief not knowing I could use that ascended gear on the thief. I pushed thru all the content in rare gear just fine. 

The skill step up from PoF to EoD was minimal. I don't think there is any skills that you will have to face that you have not already picked up to this point in the game. 

I've never played the optimal build, just the one I like. 

I completed the entire story in a sub optimal build. I've attempted the final meta and we got very close, in the first week. Many nerfs and adjustments have been made since on Anets side. 

In the end, you can so buy EoD, have fun, get HP points, MP points, finish the story and get everything you may need. Are there a few locked things, yeah, but you will get them all in a week or two.

As of today, you can buy the turtle egg now from a vendor. Will you need to do a few extra things, yes. But everyday the players are getting better and learning to maximize the meta event.

I had just discovered Drizzlewood a few months prior to launch of EoD and was a part of several failed attempts. I had to just find the most optimal time to do them.

You will be fine to pick up EoD. Go explore. You can pick up a jade core 1 off the TP for about 1.5 gold. Just use the bot at every batter and pick up the offensive and defensive buffs. They stack up for like 1.1 hours. And you can just walk thru most of the content.

Just utilize as many buffs as you can, the Jade bot buffs, food, banners from guilds, boosters etc. And walk thru like a god. The jade bot allows for you to get both offensive and defensive buffs that stack.

And it does not hurt to join a large guild that is doing the Metas. You can be in more than 1 guild.

TL:DR, get EoD, it is awesome and Rama is the boss! In the restaurant business we had a 80/20 rule. If a person does not like something, they will tell 8 people of the bad experience, but if someone liked there experience, they will only tell 2 people. Just a little thing to think about.

The ones having fun are typically too busy having fun to complain.

Edited by Seanchai.2640
  • Thanks 1