Dear Anet: Condi gear prices are out of control

I remember when I played WoW (WotLK), latecomers had to do lower tiers of content to gear up for the current raids.  First dungeons, then 2 tiers down, then 1.  After months, maybe you had what you needed to progress.

In GW2, 80% of what I I play is WvW.  Using the Triumphant Armor Reward Track and with the Bronze Skirmish final reward, I've gotten as many as 3 stat-selectable exotic armor chests a week playing 1-1.5 hours a day.  So, 2 weeks for all six pieces.  None of that costs me anything other than time.  If I were to farm gold instead,  well I accrue anywhere from 20-40 gold a week doing WvW, which is notorious for not rewarding gold anywhere near as well as PvE gold farming.  To get the ~125 mentioned above could take me more than 6 weeks.  How much faster is PvE?

Regardless, both mode's gold farm methods are fast by comparison to other games I've played.  I get it, though, this thread is about the discrepancy.  Still, since EoD dropped, I've outfitted: 2 Harbingers (1 with Condi gear another with both); a Specter (Condi); 2 Mechanists (1 of each); a Willbender (Celestial/Trailblazer mix); and a Virtuoso (Condi).  I've also specced a Vindicator, Bladesworn and Catalyst, but used their existing gear with only Sigil changes.  Fwiw, I did have light and heavy chest and leg legendaries, so I'm only needing 4 pieces for those classes.  Despite all that, the only reason I'm down gold is that I made a Legendary Heavy Boot over the weekend, which cost me about 220 gold.

So, I get it, you don't want to do what it takes to get the gear (either farming or other avenues).  That's your privilege, as it is your privilege to ask ANet to fix it.  However, ANet has always been a studio that favors player-created solutions for problems.  I prefer player-created solutions, myself.  In GW2, they've gone away from that a bit more than I remember from GW -- then again, GW2 has been actively supported for much longer.

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

This is a decade old 'problem'.  Was worse before we had legendary armor--but now that's really the answer. 

There may not be a gear treadmill, but if you want flexibility, you're going to need legendary armor, as it'll save you a ton of gold and all the extra mats you can now sell because you no longer need to make armor for any character of that weight.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ArchonWing.9480 said:

I already know that and nobody in this thread said it was right. I just find the hillariously smug attitude towards booting people  to be pretty worthy of mockery.

You missed the comments of a lot of people, it seems.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

I have no horse in this race. I am just pointing out that making false claims or half truth(because it is ignoring other factors) at best in an argumentative style is not great way to gain support.

Nothing what I said was a half truth.

Viper's, hands down, takes more time to acquire than power in either Assassin's or berserker with runes+sigils.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

8 hours ago, Ombras.2853 said:

Marauder IS wrong build, that’s the point.

Don’t hold other people in the group down because you cannot dodge or position yourself.

Try playing with a 250-300ms ping time and dodge things then get back to me about what hardcore content is.

6 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

This is a decade old 'problem'.  Was worse before we had legendary armor--but now that's really the answer. 

There may not be a gear treadmill, but if you want flexibility, you're going to need legendary armor, as it'll save you a ton of gold and all the extra mats you can now sell because you no longer need to make armor for any character of that weight.  

Unless you have 28 characters. even 6-8 mains is an issue

10 hours ago, DragonMoon.6098 said:

...so people should make the armor and lose money selling it?

No Anet should either make it easier to get or lower the price to Power prices..

Edited by Dante.1508
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, Dante.1508 said:

Unless you have 28 characters. even 6-8 mains is an issue

What? Once you make a legendary item it applies to all characters--if you truly have 28 characters that are not all mules then gearing them with legendary items should be very easy.  

Regardless, if you have 6-8 mains, you have gold.  Not sure of the point of the topic? If someone is spending 200+g on gear (somehow) then just make a legendary set.  Bonus is then you can swap runes in and out freely solving that issue.

I swear, I don't know how this thread made it 10 pages.  OP starts by talking about 'average player' then cites the 'very best' armor that said average player won't even care about.  As the literal average casual doesn't know what runes are let alone stat combinations (seriously, pay attention to LA chat sometime).  So the players that need these stat combos / runes are not average and thus know how to get them for practically free by actually playing the game.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Dante.1508 said:

Try playing with a 250-300ms ping time and dodge things then get back to me about what hardcore content is.

Don’t. I play on a potato pc, literally on a potato pc. Claiming that dodging is an issue means not being willing to learn even the simplest mechanics. And, again, you are shifting your focus by claiming something different than what you previously said.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

On 3/17/2022 at 2:31 AM, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

I guess you missed where I said:

...  Let's be real here--anyone who RIGHT NOW has enough airship parts or LW cubits to buy the gear is...not who we're talking about, and not the majority of the player base.

That's exactly what "veterans" usually forget about. lately I had a chat somewhat like this ...

veteran - "... Oh, you easily can get this from high level fractals"

me - "Yeah, if i had ascended gear and tons of high agony infusions"

veteran - "oh, sorry, yeah, i forgot about the gear :("

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Sevetamryn.2974 said:

That's exactly what "veterans" usually forget about. lately I had a chat somewhat like this ...

veteran - "... Oh, you easily can get this from high level fractals"

me - "Yeah, if i had ascended gear and tons of high agony infusions"

veteran - "oh, sorry, yeah, i forgot about the gear :("

"What are you talking about? Viper's gear, tormenting runes, and sigils of bursting and torment are easy, just right click your full set of legendary gear and select the items. SMH." ~Some veteran or something, probably.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, Ombras.2853 said:

Don’t. I play on a potato pc, literally on a potato pc. Claiming that dodging is an issue means not being willing to learn even the simplest mechanics. And, again, you are shifting your focus by claiming something different than what you previously said.

If you knew how internet works you'd know the distance is the ms ping not the pc, i'm in Australia no amount of Hardware will lower the ping time to the US servers.. And my pc runs GW2 fine.

Edited by Dante.1508