Dear Anet: Condi gear prices are out of control

10 minutes ago, jcH.7109 said:

You make it sound like it’s so difficult to obtain condi gear. It’s really not. Instead of whining about it on the forum, why not actually play the game and earn your condi gear?

You're not paying attention, and this isn't even about me.  I have ~650g in the bank right now, I can buy 2 sets of vipers & tormenting runes.  It's about an imbalance in the game--it's about a disparity between the cost of gearing a condi spec and gearing a power spec.  Most importantly, it's a problem for the average player.  If they want to try out one of the fancy new specs, a lot of them are garbage unless you have decent condi gear... but they can't afford good condi gear, so they will either use power gear, or horrible condi gear like rabid, and get a really bad impression.  I'm positive people have quit over that kind of thing--I know people who have.  It's bad for the game, and that makes it bad for the players, whether or not it happens to affect YOU in ways that are obvious to you.

10 minutes ago, jcH.7109 said:

You can play pvp/wvw/fractals and buy gear from vendors. You can craft your own condi gear.

Like I said already, I know how to get the gear.  I have the gear.  The average player doesn't do any of these game modes.  The average player has considerably less than 100g, from what I understand.  The average player plays socially, less than 2 hrs a day.  For the average player, gearing a condi toon well is hard.  But with expansion content, the average player is being encouraged to try specs that don't have a viable power option.  So, part of the problem with, for example, the DE meta failing is the average player is using a spec with garbage gear for that spec. It's not the only problem, and it's not the biggest problem, but it doesn't help matters.  And the fact is, even if I have the gold, it's annoying that I have to spend 5x as much of it on the spec I want to play than a dozen other specs I could play instead.  It makes me annoyed at the game, and you can be sure I'm not the only one.  I don't want to be annoyed at the game, and I don't want other players to be annoyed at the game, and more to the point, there's just no good reason for this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, jcH.7109 said:

You make it sound like it’s so difficult to obtain condi gear. It’s really not. Instead of whining about it on the forum, why not actually play the game and earn your condi gear? You can play pvp/wvw/fractals and buy gear from vendors. You can craft your own condi gear. You can also farm silverwastes or whatever the most efficient gold farming meta is and buy from TP. Condi gear is more expensive on the TP than power gear most likely because casual players (the majority) probably tend to favor direct damage

What if someone is in a situation where they aren't geared properly in any spec yet? Farming in open world becomes a lot harder then. You have to deal with being suck and making sure to pick a populated enough map so people can carry you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

You're not paying attention, and this isn't even about me.  I have ~650g in the bank right now, I can buy 2 sets of vipers & tormenting runes.  It's about an imbalance in the game--it's about a disparity between the cost of gearing a condi spec and gearing a power spec.  Most importantly, it's a problem for the average player.  If they want to try out one of the fancy new specs, a lot of them are garbage unless you have decent condi gear... but they can't afford good condi gear, so they will either use power gear, or horrible condi gear like rabid, and get a really bad impression.  I'm positive people have quit over that kind of thing--I know people who have.  It's bad for the game, and that makes it bad for the players, whether or not it happens to affect YOU in ways that are obvious to you.

Like I said already, I know how to get the gear.  I have the gear.  The average player doesn't do any of these game modes.  The average player has considerably less than 100g, from what I understand.  The average player plays socially, less than 2 hrs a day.  For the average player, gearing a condi toon well is hard.  But with expansion content, the average player is being encouraged to try specs that don't have a viable power option.  So, part of the problem with, for example, the DE meta failing is the average player is using a spec with garbage gear for that spec. It's not the only problem, and it's not the biggest problem, but it doesn't help matters.  And the fact is, even if I have the gold, it's annoying that I have to spend 5x as much of it on the spec I want to play than a dozen other specs I could play instead.  It makes me annoyed at the game, and you can be sure I'm not the only one.  I don't want to be annoyed at the game, and I don't want other players to be annoyed at the game, and more to the point, there's just no good reason for this.

I am still on zerk staff tempest (HoT spec) and i assure you, i do much more damage than most. No, i am not god tier or anything. DE failing isnt about the spec. It is player skill and being ill equipped. Plus, if you tell someone to get rid of their soldier gear in favor of viper, that someone is bound to die a LOT more often. Thus making effectively 0 dps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

I just did the math on typical "top shelf" exotic power gear (zerker & scholar runes) vs. condi (viper's & torment runes).  I chose those because they're each the gear required/expected for the highest damage specs in the game, for power and condi, give or take specific specs' idiosyncrasies and players' play styles.  This is the gear, typically, you buy, or are recommended to buy, to do "good" DPS for your spec.  I used medium gear, since that's what I'm currently focused on gearing, and included a full set of armor, trinkets, and runes (x7) for both.  I used the sell price since it was the fastest/easiest, and while the buy price will be lower, the difference is still representative.

It will come as no surprise to players who've geared a condi/torment build what the results are.  Runes of tormenting are currently selling for over 14g each, which by themselves is more expensive than the entire power kit by almost a factor of two.  The total price for zerker gear was 56g 7s 39cp, whereas the viper's gear is 261g 5s 64cp, almost FIVE TIMES more expensive.  I'm sure some will point out that viper's is 4-stat expansion-era gear, whereas zerker is 3-stat core gear, but the problem is there is no core stat that completes the condi picture with both condi damage and expertise.  Another part of the problem is that torment is of late just better than everything else, and many/most of the elite specs' condi builds favor it, while tormenting runes are relatively difficult to acquire--and expensive to make.  All this would be fine if all of the elite specs had viable/competetive power builds, but many of them just don't.

So, Anet, aside from locking poorer players out of effectively playing and enjoying these specs, what exactly is the point of this?  It seems to me some adjustments are badly needed here.

Price = Request / Offer

are you really suggesting that they subsidize condi gear!? 😄  This is not 2022 politics! this is Guildwars...

And here comes a big stonkers trick for you... when they are expensive... Why dont you go, make them, and sell them?

Thats just how trading works... high demand results in a highprice. Price will rise until more people make it their mission to produce the items that are in high demand. Those extra producers push the price down again....   Just make profit of the current situation instead of a nonsense Forumthread:D

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, Bladezephyr.5714 said:

God forbid that you actually have to farm to get your gear 😧

It is a free market.. they wont tinker prices because diffrent stats have diffrent prices.... 

If you would say: we need more spawns of the materials to craft Condigear... you might have a valid point here....

but what you are demanding is just plain stupid.. i am sorry... This whole thread has me fuming xD

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

27 minutes ago, kharmin.7683 said:

Heaven forbid that if someone wants something that they might have to actually pay for it.

It's a F2P game.  Toss a few bucks at the studio in support and purchase some gems.  Convert to gold and buy what you want.

Sheesh.

Um, no it's not a F2P game. It's a B2P game with expansions you pay for, living story you pay for (if you weren't there for release) and a boatload of QOL that you pay for (bank tabs, equipment tabs, build, etc.). Why in god's name would someone waste their money on a single set of gear on top of all the other costs they already nickel and dime you for. That's just financially irresponsible. You must be rich or something with that attitude about throwing around money.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Labjax.2465 said:

Um, no it's not a F2P game. It's a B2P game with expansions you pay for, living story you pay for (if you weren't there for release) and a boatload of QOL that you pay for (bank tabs, equipment tabs, build, etc.). Why in god's name would someone waste their money on a single set of gear on top of all the other costs they already nickel and dime you for. That's just financially irresponsible. You must be rich or something with that attitude about throwing around money.

He was obviously trying to be funny... dont take everything to serious bud. i think the "SHEEESH" at the end gave it away.. but its okay! alot of people are confused here

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

God forbid that you actually have to farm to get your gear 😧

It is a free market.. they wont tinker prices because diffrent stats have diffrent prices.... 

If you would say: we need more spawns of the materials to craft Condigear... you might have a valid point here....

but what you are demanding is just plain stupid.. i am sorry... This whole thread has me fuming xD

If you mean free market in the literal sense, no such thing really exists. If you mean free market as in the illusion of a "free" market that is highly regulated by someone in power to get specific results for those in charge, then yes, they have an economist who sets it all up very carefully to get the results they want and ensure things don't get out of hand.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

If you mean free market in the literal sense, no such thing really exists. If you mean free market as in the illusion of a "free" market that is highly regulated by someone in power to get specific results for those in charge, then yes, they have an economist who sets it all up very carefully to get the results they want and ensure things don't get out of hand.

is that really happening in Guildwars? idk buddy.. when i post something in Auctionhouse the price doesnt magicly change... i can put any item at any price that i want... doesnt look like someone is regulating it.

I could be wrong tho.

• Sad 1

Just now, Sahne.6950 said:

is that really happening in Guildwars? idk buddy.. when i post something in Auctionhouse the price doesnt magicly change... i can put any item at any price that i want... doesnt look like someone is regulating it.

I could be wrong tho.

My understanding is it's more subtle than that. Things like carefully designing how much of each material will drop from what content and how much it is needed/used and so on, and monitoring it closely to ensure it stays within desired levels. But yes, unless they fired him at some point, GW2 has a dedicated economist who works on the game. I believe that's why this game's economy is relatively stable over the years, compared to some MMOs where inflation gets out of hand over time (it looks mostly the same to me now than it did 6-7 years ago when I left). If you want a contrast, look at SWTOR's economy. That game has inflation to an absurd degree, with not a shred of sign that anyone on their team is paying attention to the market at all, apart from implementing some credit sinks in the game here and there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Labjax.2465 said:

My understanding is it's more subtle than that. Things like carefully designing how much of each material will drop from what content and how much it is needed/used and so on, and monitoring it closely to ensure it stays within desired levels. But yes, unless they fired him at some point, GW2 has a dedicated economist who works on the game. I believe that's why this game's economy is relatively stable over the years, compared to some MMOs where inflation gets out of hand over time (it looks mostly the same to me now than it did 6-7 years ago when I left). If you want a contrast, look at SWTOR's economy. That game has inflation to an absurd degree, with not a shred of sign that anyone on their team is paying attention to the market at all, apart from implementing some credit sinks in the game here and there.

but he is not managing the Auctionhouse buddy.. there is a flaw in your thinking. He doesnt regulate prices. He regulates how much items come into the game and how many leave the game. This person has no direct influence on the market. he can only add/delete ways for items to come into the game / leave the game.

He cant be like: wellll condigear is to expensive! lets shave 50% off the price! what he can do is add more ways to aquire materials to craft this condi gear.

And that is exactly what we are saying here. demanding subsidizes for condigear is mad. If you want more spawners for required material, you have a valid point.!

thats what we are saying all along...

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Sahne.6950 said:

but he is not managing the Auctionhouse buddy.. there is a flaw in your thinking. He doesnt regulate prices. He regulates how much items come into the game and how many leave the game. This person has no direct influence on the market. he can only add/delete ways for items to come into the game / leave the game.

He cant be like: wellll condigear is to expensive! lets shave 50% off the price! what he can do is add more ways to aquire materials to craft this condi gear.

And that is exactly what we are saying here. demanind subsidizes for condigear is mad. If you want more spawners for required material, you have a valid point.!

It's not a flaw in my thinking, it's that we're using terminology we don't agree on the meaning of. It seems we agree that adding more of the required material would be fine. Where I don't agree is using the term free market with the implication that it's somehow hands off when it's very much contrived to work a certain way. Which IS how free markets work in reality (they are very contrived) but then there is the common use of the term where people imply that it's unregulated. If that's at all confusing, don't worry, I'm very tired, I can't tell if I'm being clear or not at this point.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

okey then let me ask you one question.

are they manually changing prices of the Auctionhouse with a specific goal in mind?

if the answer is no we are having a free market here.

They are managing aquisition of materials to not deflate prices of those. But that doesnt interfere with the idea of a free market.

The players dictate the prices with their offers.

The Anet staff is only dictation how many of these items there are, but the price of the item is totally on the playerside.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Sahne.6950 said:

okey then let me ask you one question.

are they manually changing prices of the Auctionhouse with a specific goal in mind?

if the answer is no we are having a free market here.

They are managing aquisition of materials to not deflate prices of those. But that doesnt interfere with the idea of a free market.

The players dictate the prices with their offers.

The Anet staff is only dictation how many of these items there are, but the price of the item is totally on the playerside.

The players can try to dictate the prices, but for the most part (maybe with the exception of people who have tried to stack the market in their favor by buying up supply of super rare items), it won't work because the inertia of the availability of the items and the willingness of people in how much they are willing to spend and just how much currency there is to spend in general will keep it on a relatively steady and consistent level. That's about as clear as I can get about it with not having a degree in economics.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Labjax.2465 said:

The players can try to dictate the prices, but for the most part (maybe with the exception of people who have tried to stack the market in their favor by buying up supply of super rare items), it won't work because the inertia of the availability of the items and the willingness of people in how much they are willing to spend and just how much currency there is to spend in general will keep it on a relatively steady and consistent level. That's about as clear as I can get about it with not having a degree in economics.

Kind of like mystic coins.  🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

They are just half the price compared to 6 months ago... 

Free Market i Tell ya:D

what you are describing is how availability and demand of items are balancing the price..which is the fundamental idea of a free market.

Edited by Sahne.6950
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Voltekka.2375 said:

I am still on zerk staff tempest (HoT spec) and i assure you, i do much more damage than most. No, i am not god tier or anything. DE failing isnt about the spec. It is player skill and being ill equipped. Plus, if you tell someone to get rid of their soldier gear in favor of viper, that someone is bound to die a LOT more often. Thus making effectively 0 dps

Celestial is given to level 80s now not soldier's.

3 hours ago, Obtena.7952 said:

Wow, people still think Anet come in an 'change' prices on the TP. Amazing.

Well they also believe viper's is the only condi stat in the game and tormenting is the only rune.

Technically they could. Make every mob drop watchwork sprockets. Price of the runes will plummet.

Unfortunately not long after you'll get people complaining about how unrewarding things are because none of their stuff is worth anything.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1