How is Ur dps after new patch ? Untamed

Cytoplasma.8216

Obviously it went a bit higher but there's a huge hurdle to compete with One Wolf Pack on power soulbeast and merged bonuses (+300 ferocity = 20% crit already). I suspect the power benchmark is ~32-33K similar to scrapper a while ago. Condition's ~30K should be unchanged since Vow of the Untamed affects strike damage.

I feel as though it is meant as a PVP core ranger replacement and a PVE openworld spec. There's some fixes that could have been applied to make it more applicable to WVW and as far as instanced PVE the main advantage is boon rip as defiance bars render CC values and cooldowns more important than the number of CC skills.

edit: in particular Wild Swing on hammer is quite underwhelming as cripple is low enough value that damage ought to be higher (1.2+ coefficient instead of 1.0) since you don't have the Vow of Untamed Bonus. The Unleash ranger state Unleashed Wild Swing puts out 2.16+ coefficient and an additional +20% vs disabled targets for ~2.6 coefficient. The same goes for Savage Shockwave, the damage is extremely low if you aren't in Unleash ranger state. You'd never opt for immob in PVE over the damage from Unleashed Savage Shockwave unless you need to do a mechanic you'd use Entangle in , which is entirely possible to run on Untamed due to not having One Wolf Pack.

Edited by Infusion.7149

1 hour ago, Infusion.7149 said:

Obviously it went a bit higher but there's a huge hurdle to compete with One Wolf Pack on power soulbeast and merged bonuses (+300 ferocity = 20% crit already). I suspect the power benchmark is ~32-33K similar to scrapper a while ago. Condition's ~30K should be unchanged since Vow of the Untamed affects strike damage.

I feel as though it is meant as a PVP core ranger replacement and a PVE openworld spec. There's some fixes that could have been applied to make it more applicable to WVW and as far as instanced PVE the main advantage is boon rip as defiance bars render CC values and cooldowns more important than the number of CC skills.

Not trying to argue against this first part, it's just a shame that we're kind of just forced to accept this as of right now. Soulbeast in PvE is a good DPS, so there's no real point in buffing Untamed for PvE use right now. Druid probably makes up 70%+ of the high-end PvE playerbase, and even then mostly in raids, so ranger has 'good' usage overall due to these things. Until something happens where druid or soulbeast get shoved out of the metagame for one reason or another I don't think untamed will become viable in PvE.

PvP, on the other hand, it is a different story. First off, (in my opinion, and also an opinion that I have seen plenty in various groups), no spec should be a PvP spec. The only 2 I know of that really gets this designation right now are Untamed and Spellbreaker, and maybe core thief (but then again most core classes are worse than their specs in PvE, so does it really count in this case?). Either way, these things need changes. And out of those 2, there's only one really worth taking for pvp- spellbreaker. Untamed doesn't have access to enough to make the pets themselves strong- beastmastery added on is a slight buff and some sidegrades for pet skills, and then untamed itself revolves almost entirely around the unleash mechanic. Drake tail swipe doesn't improve, because even though you can control when the tail swipe happens, you lose out on one of your trait lines, losing some specific utility from said traitlines. And that's ignoring the fact that immob doesn't proc ANY of the unleash hammer bonuses nor does it proc the CD on CC trait (I can partially understand the second part, entangle would be broken on untamed, could use an internal CD for immob specifically to avoid this?), and those facts need to change.

As much as I don't want them to kill my beloved spirits (druid main, I like having a summoned buff that is useful but not so much so that I can't swap to some other roles for mechanics i.e. VG pushing), I would not mind seeing untamed get a rare boon output option for cantrips or even for just CC. Give us a DPS increase when unleashed, and give us boon potential when the pet is unleashed. Something like that- even if it was just quickness, it'd feel a lot better in pve and actually have a slot without completely breaking ranger as a profession once the summer balance patch rolls around.

• Like 1

@RainbowTurtle when I say it is a PvP spec I mean the function is similar to core ranger in that it is sustain based and more teamfight oriented (see boon rip , ambush life steal, and AoE) whereas druid is more of a decap role since astral force never had a rebalance after Feb 2020. It is pretty clear that the untamed traitline is loosely meant to replace wilderness survival. Maybe if quickness application to the pet was more available outside of quickening Zephyr and lesser Quickening Zephyr then untamed pet could be stronger damage-wise when in Unleash Pet state; it already has fury access from warhorn or swapping pets (clarion bond).

Core thief may be a PVP spec but it's core class and also it is more of a roamer. If you look at specter that is more teamfight oriented as well.

Spellbreaker is probably going to actually end up weaker than untamed if untamed gets buffs because warrior ranged weapons are woefully unreliable and don't produce damage pressure on any CC skills : meta has always been relegated to swords (with warhorns if support) , greatswords, hammers, and if a DPS variant then axes. The place spellbreaker sees the most use now is WvW due to winds of disenchantment and break enchantments.

I do not play pvp at all and in my opinion also no class should be created this way because I simply do not have access to play in a group. I bought a new expansion pack because I love ranger games and wanted to play a new class, not the one from the old expansion. I feel sorry for the new players who chose this class for their first.

I am surprised only by one thing in all of this.

why there are classes that are good in pve content - they can heal, do dps or support. other, like untamed except pvp no introduction anywhere? where is the balance here?

Yes. I understand. I play in the open world and it's great, but every mmo player would like to play with other players in pve content like raids or fractals and at the moment I do not have access to the group

last hopes in the snow scrow. I hope, however, that he will find a way to do good dps

Edited by Cytoplasma.8216

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been trying Untamed a bit in raids with my static since the patch, currently just on Keep Construct (I thought the hammer may synergise well with the burn phase) and Samarog (it provides a LOT more CC than Soulbeast, and you don't have to deal with getting unmerged if you're fixated).

DPS wise, it's behind Soulbeast and doesn't really provide any other benefit - except maybe CC. 

Here's two logs from my two recent KC CM attempts. Disclaimer: I'm not a great player and I'm using an improvised rotation on Untamed - it doesn't do horrible DPS, more than sufficient to clear things, but much worse than Soulbeast. (Note I did have AP on Slb, but otherwise buffs are consistent between logs).

https://dps.report/IakB-20220502-202542_kc - soulbeast (26.4)

https://dps.report/YKbA-20220425-204329_kc - untamed (22.8)

I've been playing it because I find hammer really fun, it just... feels bad to pick it over Soulbeast when Soulbeast is going to do more damage in pretty much any scenario, whilst also having the option to buff your team with OWP.

I wish they would either buff Untamed numbers to have the damage compete, or add some other reason to make it worth running, because I really, really enjoy the hammer.

At least it makes a really fun handkite, having my healers panic every time I go to 1hp is great.

Soulbeast's rotation is always going to be more versatile (CC, dps, mobility and adaptable pet merge options). They also suffer less from switching out utility skills to suit the group's needs.

To compensate, and due to pet's AI, untamed would need even more damage buffs. CC doesn't cut it in a world with United Legion Work Stations, Basilisk Venoms and Headbutt Berserkers. But the biggest issue, imo, is how bad the combat flow on untamed is.

For me, ranger has always had a very fast-paced and smooth flow. Untamed does not feel like a ranger spec, despite the presence of a pet. The ambush mechanic IMO does not synergise with hammer's flatout dual skill set. Focus on one or the other - not both.

Edited by NorthernRedStar.3054
  • Like 3